Snow Watch 2017/18

Snow Watch 2017/18

Postby CJS on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 1:05 pm

Well, I think we've had a snow watch thread in past years so here's this winter's...

It's snowing here in south Gloucestershire.

White it is, and cold.

There's about a centimetre so obviously I'm not venturing outside because a. I'll likely become quickly stranded or lost in the drifts and b. I imagine everything will have closed in an emergency anyway so there's not much point.

On the plus side (if we make it through the night) I expect it'll have gone by the morning so no chance of a snow day :-P :-D
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Re: Snow Watch 2017/18

Postby borismorris on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 1:59 pm

Current reported depth in Stafford S17 is 4" of the stuff..

About 40 miles away in Bridgnorth, Shropshire theres up to 10" though!
borismorris

Postby Robin on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 2:29 pm

Here in Maidstone in the Garden of England we have just got light rain with a light wind, however, my daughter, who lives five miles away in Rochester has got a heavy fall of snow, she had to use the 'snow mode' on her Range Rover for the first time when she went to the shops this morning. Robin.
Per Ardua ad Astra
Robin

Postby speedbird2639 on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 2:34 pm

Sitrep from Nth Worcs

Been snowing here steadily for abt 10 hrs now. Difficult to get an accurate depth measurement as it has been quite windy here so there is less snow in exposed areas and more where it has drifted slightly but I used the middle of the lawn as a 'median' point and that is showing 8" currently but it is still snowing.

BHX currently closed whilst they try to clear the runway and all buses in Birmingham are cancelled
speedbird2639

Postby Ian G on Mon 11 Dec 2017, 9:11 pm

We had about 4-6 inches in places here in Wolverhampton. Our dogs thoroughly enjoyed it! Roads were pretty dicey this morning though, I nipped up to Cannock Chase and almost became a cropper. Nice (if that's the right word) to see the snow last and have a proper fall instead of a light dusting
Ian Garfield Photography Website!

Flickr Photostream

I should probably be working. Will work for doughnuts.
Ian G
UKAR Staff

Postby tankbuster81 on Mon 11 Dec 2017, 9:56 pm

Ironically i was talking to the wife earlier, and she commented that she cannot remember the last time she saw at least 6 inches...... :whistle:
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!
tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Postby ericbee123 on Mon 11 Dec 2017, 11:46 pm

Not so much as a snow flake in Blackpool.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.
ericbee123

Postby Pringles on Tue 12 Dec 2017, 10:21 am

It's mostly ice on the roads causing problems now, but when I was clearing snow off the drive here in Solihull yesterday, I measured at least 20cm
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic
Pringles

Postby AlexC on Tue 12 Dec 2017, 10:41 am

Nothing down here between the New Forest and the sea, but then snow is very rear around here. Pretty darn cold though, but beautiful blue sky.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby ericbee123 on Tue 12 Dec 2017, 11:21 am

Why is that the UK grinds to a halt while the rest of Europe can cope with snow ? Oh hold on, wait a minute ........
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42310933
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.
ericbee123

Postby AlexC on Fri 15 Dec 2017, 11:27 am

ericbee123 wrote:Why is that the UK grinds to a halt while the rest of Europe can cope with snow?

It's always been that way. And it's amazing how many schools close after the an inch or so of snow falls. We are just a nation of wimps when it comes to snow.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Big Eric on Fri 15 Dec 2017, 5:17 pm

ericbee123 wrote:Why is that the UK grinds to a halt while the rest of Europe can cope with snow ? Oh hold on, wait a minute ........
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42310933

I'm very surprised that France didn't actually surrender when they saw the weather forecast. :grin:

...........I'll get me coat...........
Big Eric

Postby vandal on Mon 25 Dec 2017, 11:41 pm

Just had a look outside in the garden at 23.33, and it's white outside.

White Christmas here in Edinburgh, albeit near enough midnight, but still a White Christmas. :smile:
vandal

Postby speedbird2639 on Tue 26 Dec 2017, 12:47 am

Nothing here in North Worcs - Xmas day was 13 degs and rainy. Forecast to go colder by Tues Eve / Weds morning with possible light snow on Weds morning. We shall see if they are right!
speedbird2639

Postby vandal on Tue 26 Dec 2017, 11:34 am

speedbird2639 wrote:Nothing here in North Worcs - Xmas day was 13 degs and rainy. Forecast to go colder by Tues Eve / Weds morning with possible light snow on Weds morning. We shall see if they are right!

It did rain most of the day here and the temp was around 5 degrees, so I was really surprised to see that the snow actually laid.

News reporting it was Officially, a White Christmas. Wonder how much Bookies are having to pay out? :grin:
vandal

Postby FarnboroJohn on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 7:04 am

Snowing in Farnborough while I took Maz to work this morning: had to clear the car off and its trying to lie on grass areas, but roads are just wet.

John
FarnboroJohn

Postby Pen Pusher on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 7:24 am

Raining since early evening yesterday but I can now see a thin layer of white stuff on car windows but a tad wet on the ground to be settling.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook
Pen Pusher

Postby CJS on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 8:03 am

We had around 5 cm last night. So naturally we're snowed in and unable to do anything other than eat chocolate all day.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby farnboroughrob on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 8:45 am

A few cm in Farnborough. Looks quite wet snow, has settled on cars, grass etc but roads and paths are too wet for it to settle. 'working' from home anyway doing remote support so doesn't bother me too much.
farnboroughrob

Postby tankbuster81 on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 10:58 am

Big ole flakes coming down here in Kent, but none settling as we've had so much rain overnight.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!
tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Postby speedbird2639 on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 12:01 pm

North Worcs - had abt 2-3 cm overnight but it is just above freezing here now so it is going slushy and melting - no more precip' forecast.
speedbird2639

Postby AlexC on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 11:30 am

Still no snow here, but there was a terrific gust of wind in the small hours (woke me up) and I subsequently found our that a close neighbour has lose a large panel of facing brickwork off the front elevation, and they are on holiday in Thailand until 4th January. Trying to contact them now.
AlexC

Postby vandal on Tue 16 Jan 2018, 3:20 pm

Most of Edinburgh currently under a blanket of the fluffy white stuff.

Suppose that's a given considering we're on an Amber warning for Snow & Ice from the Met Office. :grin:
vandal

Postby toom317 on Tue 16 Jan 2018, 8:25 pm

It's been chucking it down all day in the Borders, a good 5-6 inches on the fence posts in the garden. Had to leave my car in the supermarket car park, as I can't get up a hill. Not helped by thoughtless knobs just abandoning their cars at a bend on a slope. Might take the camera out tomorrow, to photograph the carnage. :grin:
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Postby FarnboroJohn on Wed 17 Jan 2018, 12:22 am

toom317 wrote:It's been chucking it down all day in the Borders, a good 5-6 inches on the fence posts in the garden. Had to leave my car in the supermarket car park, as I can't get up a hill. Not helped by thoughtless knobs just abandoning their cars at a bend on a slope. Might take the camera out tomorrow, to photograph the carnage. :grin:

Look forward to that..... :lol:

John
FarnboroJohn

Next

Return to Off Topic