Re: No Xmas flying from Lakenheath

Post by stuart n »

That's my Christmas ruined then :shock: :down:

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

:-(

Will be cancelling my A/L for the 27th December then!!

Boo.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Good-oh!
If there's no reason why they need to fly ( pre-deployment, etc. ) then it's a sensible decision to give them some extra down-time over the Christmas period.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

st24

Post by st24 »

Brevet Cable wrote:Good-oh!
If there's no reason why they need to fly ( pre-deployment, etc. ) then it's a sensible decision to give them some extra down-time over the Christmas period.

Can always rely on BC to spread the joy....! :grin:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Well it's not as if their job is to entertain people - you can go to pantomimes or come on here for that.
아직도 숨어있다

CJS

Post by CJS »

Brevet Cable wrote:Well it's not as if their job is to entertain people - you can go to pantomimes or come on here for that.

Same difference. :tongue:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

st24

Post by st24 »

Brevet Cable wrote:Well it's not as if their job is to entertain people - you can go to pantomimes or come on here for that.

Well that depends if you're posting! :tongue: I completely get that but it's the utter relish you seem to convey when you post about others disappointment .... :confused:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

That's because I'm one of those people who's worked pretty much every Christmas for the last 30 years....you can count the number of Christmas Days I've had off properly on the fingers of one hand & still have fingers left over ( and I'm working Christmas Eve night this year, so that's another Christmas Day I'm not really off for )
As such, I have every sympathy for those who don't get much time off over the Christmas period due to it being normal working ( I've got 2 proper days off for the Christmas/New Year period - Tuesday 26th & Wednesday 27th ) and none whatsoever for anyone who's narked that aircrew who've had a pretty busy year are being given a few days extra down-time.
아직도 숨어있다

st24

Post by st24 »

Brevet Cable wrote:That's because I'm one of those people who's worked pretty much every Christmas for the last 30 years....you can count the number of Christmas Days I've had off properly on the fingers of one hand & still have fingers left over ( and I'm working Christmas Eve night this year, so that's another Christmas Day I'm not really off for )
As such, I have every sympathy for those who don't get much time off over the Christmas period due to it being normal working ( I've got 2 proper days off for the Christmas/New Year period - Tuesday 26th & Wednesday 27th ) and none whatsoever for anyone who's narked that aircrew who've had a pretty busy year are being given a few days extra down-time.

Hmmmm...sounds like sour grapes on your part then in that you are quite happy that others can't have a few days enjoying aviation because you work it any way.
Whilst I sympathise I get narked by people who moan about having a job and having to work the hours set out by their employer - no-one held a gun to your head and made you sign the contract, you must have had some idea of the Ts and Cs of working there.Same to for the "heroes" in the armed forces - you have to expect to work unsociable hours and be away from family and loved ones, it's part of the deal.
The USAF have always worked the Christmas week and so a certain air of expectancy has been exercised.
Anyway, happy Christmas, I'm looking forward to breaking up on Thursday and hopefully not thinking about work again until the 2nd!

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

I have to admit that I thought BC was either unemployed or retired, considering the amount of available time he obviously has in participating on this forum :handbag: :wink:

Back to thread (rather hastily) is Mildenhall likely to be closed too ? In the past I haven't always bothered with Lakenheath over the Christmas period, cos of the rugby scrum at the fence, and ventured over to Mildy to watch 135s and 130s doing touch and goes with some rather marvelous winter light. I know they share the tower at Lakenheath so wasn't sure if the runway is open or not ? Will try to get my fix later this week if I can though :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

st24.....
Actually, I've usually volunteered to work Christmas Day ( if I'm not already scheduled to do it ) to allow workmates with kids to have the day off, so no sour grapes here.

Mildenhall NOTAMs :

B) FROM: 17/12/23 23:00
C) TO: 17/12/26 23:00
E) AERODROME CLOSED. FLIGHTS DURING CLOSURE PERIOD MUST HAVE AN OPERATIONAL NECESSITY OR BE A HIGHER HEADQUARTERS DIRECTED MISSION AND MUST BE APPROVED BY 100 OPERATIONS GROUP COMMANDER.

B) FROM: 17/12/30 23:00
C) TO: 18/01/02 23:00
E) AERODROME CLOSED. FLIGHTS DURING CLOSURE PERIOD MUST HAVE AN OPERATIONAL NECESSITY OR BE A HIGHER HEADQUARTERS DIRECTED MISSION AND MUST BE APPROVED BY 100 OPERATIONS GROUP COMMANDER.

So not closed for the full C/NY period.

From the RAF side of things, Brize is open for business throughout by the looks of it.
아직도 숨어있다

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Appreciated, thanks :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

DonaldGrump

Post by DonaldGrump »

CJS wrote:

If you come on here on xmas day you might even get the UKAR version of the Queens speech if Dano posts. :biggrin:

CJS

Post by CJS »

DonaldGrump wrote:
CJS wrote:

If you come on here on xmas day you might even get the UKAR version of the Queens speech if Dano posts. :biggrin:

Don't bring her Majesty in to this...

awaits the inevitable...
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Listening to the comms, Lakenheath's F-15s are out in force....there's at least 4 flights up that I've heard ( somewhere over Mid/West Wales )
아직도 숨어있다