Pegs sold

Pegs sold

Postby jalfrezi on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 12:28 pm

Sad to hear that Peter has sold Pegs, I'm not sure what it means for it's scheduled Cosford airshow appearance next year?

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Re: Pegs sold

Postby Cole on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 12:38 pm

Hopefully this opens doors for a "rarer" type to be operated by Hangar 11, such as a p-38?
Canon 750D & Canon 75-300

The Jacket kid

Sorry Goose, but its time to Buzz the tower...

Dudley, West Midlands
Cole

Postby Ryan. on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 12:48 pm

As for it’s Airshow appearances, the P-40 was listed for Cosford last year, when it was sold it was simply swapped for the P-51.

As for Hangar 11 operating more aircraft, I’d say it was unlikely. Peter has spoken about wanting to lessen the amount of Airshow appearences he does per year.
Ryan.

Postby jalfrezi on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 12:54 pm

Ryan. wrote:As for it’s Airshow appearances, the P-40 was listed for Cosford last year, when it was sold it was simply swapped for the P-51.

Whilst that is true, I believe Pegs and the PR.XI were down for Cosford as part of the RAF100 anniversary, so the P-51 isn't really a suitable replacement in this case. Hopefully though Pegs will stay in the UK, as it would be a shame for her to go overseas.
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 12:58 pm

Shame, especially given the plans Hangar 11 had for next year. Hopefully a UK buyer.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby Pringles on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 1:06 pm

If a comment on the Platinum Sales FB is to be believed, the buyer is from Rouen. Could be a sarcastic comment though, can't tell from the French translation :grin:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic
Pringles

Postby HuwJHopkins on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 3:19 pm

It was inevitable really after being up for sale for a few years. Thankfully we were still able to see it at airshows whilst it was listed for sale, unlike in some other cases, and we have enjoyed Pegs for many years since its debut 2009. Huge thanks must go to Peter Teichman for funding this wonderful example of the Hurricane back into the air and showing it off to the public so vehemently.

Moreover than hoping it stays in the UK, which of course it would be lovely if it were to, I hope more than anything it goes to an owner who will look after it and show the aircraft to the public, wherever that may be. Now that we have such a strong Hurricane scene in the UK it really wouldn't be a bad thing if it were to go abroad, perhaps to a country previously devoid of Hurricanes in the preservation era, much in the same way the silver Hurricane AG244 did in 2015 when it took up residence in Germany. We'll hardly notice a difference when V7497 takes to the skies next year!
HuwJHopkins

Postby Spotty_Jag on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 3:26 pm

HuwJHopkins wrote:Now that we have such a strong Hurricane scene in the UK it really wouldn't be a bad thing if it were to go abroad. We'll hardly notice a difference when V7497 takes to the skies next year!

Apart from this is the only aircraft displayed as a Hurribomber. The rest are all displayed as fighters. :wat:
Spotty_Jag

Postby HuwJHopkins on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 3:41 pm

Spotty_Jag wrote:
HuwJHopkins wrote:Now that we have such a strong Hurricane scene in the UK it really wouldn't be a bad thing if it were to go abroad. We'll hardly notice a difference when V7497 takes to the skies next year!

Apart from this is the only aircraft displayed as a Hurribomber. The rest are all displayed as fighters. :wat:

You are quite right, but you've completely missed the point! If it ends up going abroad it could be doubling or even creating that country's population of airworthy Hurricanes, which would be really significant and something very positive indeed. We will already have 7 airworthy examples again by the time it departs, should that be the case. We really are in a very lucky situation here in the UK!

But alas we shall have to wait and see!
HuwJHopkins

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 3:43 pm

Yes, sad but inevitable. Warbirds will always come and go, and no doubt 2018 will see some exciting debuts.
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Postby 8674planes on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 5:37 pm

Platinum fighters have confirmed it's staying in the UK
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"
8674planes

Postby The Baron on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 6:35 pm

8674planes wrote:Platinum fighters have confirmed it's staying in the UK

This is good news. Whilst I agree to a certain extent that a Hurricane presence abroad is also a good thing I'd rather that this example stayed here than compared to others. Having said that the more Hurricanes we have in the UK the better!
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby lynothehammer on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 10:45 pm

Are Hangar 11 still working on the 2nd Spitfire ?

Great news to hear Pegs is staying in the UK too...
lynothehammer

Postby wv383 on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 11:42 pm

lynothehammer wrote:Are Hangar 11 still working on the 2nd Spitfire ?

Great news to hear Pegs is staying in the UK too...

Yes they are. Mk.IX rescued from Russia. He has no intention of selling the PR.XI Spitfire or his P-51.
Simon
wv383

Postby XP282 on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 11:33 am

Ok, so I’ve finally worked out that ‘Pegs’ is a hurricane, but where did it get that name from? That’s the first time I’ve heard of ‘Pegs’.... ginfo did help!
XP282

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 11:44 am

XP282 wrote:Ok, so I’ve finally worked out that ‘Pegs’ is a hurricane, but where did it get that name from? That’s the first time I’ve heard of ‘Pegs’.... ginfo did help!

The noseart.

Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIb BE505 (G-HHII) - Hangar 11 Collection - North Weald, August 2017 by Dan B, on Flickr
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby jalfrezi on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 11:49 am

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Postby TJJ on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 11:53 am

The original aircraft was flown by an Australian Flight Sergeant. His wife's name was Peggy - hence the name and Kangaroo nose art.

I spoke to Pete yesterday. he is sorry the Hurricane is gone, but equally excited about the Spitfire project, as he now has funding to proceed with the wings.

Duty Officer, North Weald Airfield
http://www.facebook.com/northwealdairfield

Nikon D750, Nikon D300s, Nikon D90
TJJ

Postby Blackdog on Mon 25 Dec 2017, 2:24 am

My first thought was the burger van at Halton.
If you like helicopters then have a look at my Flickr here; www.flickr.com/photos/111508006@N07/
Blackdog

Postby XP282 on Mon 25 Dec 2017, 10:17 am

Thank you very much. I didn’t realise it was called Pegs.

Merry Christmas to you all.
XP282

Postby Aerosquip on Tue 26 Dec 2017, 11:39 pm

Blackdog wrote:My first thought was the burger van at Halton.

:lmao:
Aerosquip

Postby AlexC on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 10:45 am

Glad to hear that she's staying in the UK, still hoping to get some photos.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Matt35027 on Wed 17 Jan 2018, 7:30 pm

Now showing as registered to Hawker Restorations at Elmsett....
Matt35027

Postby Ryan. on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 10:29 am

There is a Hawker Hurricane survivors page on Facebook that states:

"Although we have known for some time, we can now make in public that the Hangar 11 Hurricane, G-HHII "BE505" has been sold to Hawker Restorations Ltd. She will be moving from North Weald to Elmsett from where she will emerge looking very different to her familiar "Hurribomber" configuration."
Ryan.

Postby st24 on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 2:07 pm

Ryan. wrote:There is a Hawker Hurricane survivors page on Facebook that states:

"Although we have known for some time, we can now make in public that the Hangar 11 Hurricane, G-HHII "BE505" has been sold to Hawker Restorations Ltd. She will be moving from North Weald to Elmsett from where she will emerge looking very different to her familiar "Hurribomber" configuration."

Hmmm... Surely the defining thing about pegs is the fact she is a Hurribomber??! As much as I adore the best fighter of WW 2.... I hope we don't get a diluted Battle of Britain - a-like.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Next

Return to Aviation Waffle