Where has XH558 thread gone?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
HeyfordDave111

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Reds Rolling wrote:
HeyfordDave111 wrote:My word, do we actually think, for example, that after keeping her safe, dry and warm for many years, Mr Walton, for example, would have left his baby out at the corner of the airfield to weather and get cold? I think not!

What naive rubbish. It would have spent the last three years outside with all the other rusting relics.

Walton is a business man, and he wouldn't waste valuable hangar space just so 558 could stay out of the rain. :facepalm:

The same business man who kept her dry and warm and saved all the spares to keep her in great trim?
The same man who while doing so kept cars on his airfield?
The same man who would give her a home at the drop of a hat if asked?
The same man who basically saved 558 and allowed the dream of a return to flight to happen?
And i’m Naive? :facepalm:
Got to love Russianhardware

Dan213

Post by Dan213 »

Reds Rolling wrote:
HeyfordDave111 wrote:My word, do we actually think, for example, that after keeping her safe, dry and warm for many years, Mr Walton, for example, would have left his baby out at the corner of the airfield to weather and get cold? I think not!

What naive rubbish. It would have spent the last three years outside with all the other rusting relics.

Walton is a business man, and he wouldn't waste valuable hangar space just so 558 could stay out of the rain. :facepalm:

Would these be the ‘rusting relics’ that are continuously maintained and run regularly?

Not quite sure who you’re calling naive here but your post is incredibly narrow minded...

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

The same business man who kept her dry and warm and saved all the spares to keep her in great trim?
The same man who while doing so kept cars on his airfield?
The same man who would give her a home at the drop of a hat if asked?
The same man who basically saved 558 and allowed the dream of a return to flight to happen?

I agree - Brunty is massive, there are plenty of hardstanding which currently only have a few cars on them which could be easily moved. Planning permission is unlikely to be a problem as it is a brown field site surrounded and screen by trees miles from any significant housing - they could've easily acquired and erected a hangar in a similar fashion to the that done by the Lightning group - ok it would've needed to be bigger but the 'marquee name' status of the Vulcan would've helped with the fund raising. There was a massive building at Woodford - I'm sure that materials from that could have been cost effectively repurposed into a hangar for '558.

Post by 106500 »

As I understand it Bruntingthorpe has had significant problems in the past with its neighbours regarding noise pollution, etc. Some years ago some of them caused the Lightning group lots of problems leading to financial liability as I recall. I'm not convinced getting planning permission might necessarily be that straightforward?

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

The staggering thing is that it's taken 26 months from her dumping at Doomcaster to get even as far as planning permission.

Surely with the ETNA nonsense (and V3 before that) on the drawing board during 2015's final flying year, planning application should have been made, and permission received BEFORE the final decision to land it there for the last time.

VTTS are showing themselves to be entirely reactive rather than proactive.

flashman8

Post by flashman8 »

Matt Walton told me via facebook, that they would have built a hanger for their Victor and XH558, if the VTTS were willing to let her go back there......... :biggrin:
Sony A700, A550, , Minolta 135, 500, Sigma 10-20, Sony 18-70, 50,70-300GSSM,Tamron 17-50,90mm

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Reds Rolling wrote:

Complete Rubbish, you obviously no very little of the Walton set up at Bruntingthorpe.
The industrial buildings on the one side of the aerodrome and the extension to hangar 21, was done with no fuss.
The new paint and bodyshop facility went up without any fuss.
Suggest you look at Brunti from the air and see how much free space is on this site, you could lose a large hangar
Pretty much anywhere on the site.
Do they have the money, hell yes.

CJS

Post by CJS »

To be fair though it's easy enough to say that now when there's (basically) zero chance of it happening.

Not saying he wouldn't have done it mind, but impossible to substantiate now.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Doesn't stop the same people springing up like one of Pavlov's dogs to pointlessly chunter on about it, though...... :lol:
아직도 숨어있다

XR219

Post by XR219 »

flashman8 wrote:Matt Walton told me via facebook, that they would have built a hangar for their Victor and XH558, if the VTTS were willing to let her go back there......... :biggrin:

I don't doubt this, but unfortunately it was not an official proposal that was presented to the VTTST board for them to take an opinion on.
@steveliddle558
Vulcan to the Sky Trust Trustee (although expressing my own views)

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

XR219 wrote:
flashman8 wrote:Matt Walton told me via facebook, that they would have built a hangar for their Victor and XH558, if the VTTS were willing to let her go back there......... :biggrin:

I don't doubt this, but unfortunately it was not an official proposal that was presented to the VTTST board for them to take an opinion on.

I wonder even if it had been official, VTTSewageT would have given it any consideration anyway? They seemed dead set against a return to Bruntingthorpe, and I don't accept the runway condition reason for a second. 558 is where she is due to ego and ambition, rather than realism and common sense. It is extremely disappointing and a massive missed opportunity, but sadly nothing anyone can do about it now.

I think VTTScrapyardT and friends will never accept they were wrong or ever try and correct the mistake, until the last penny from the last 558 fan has been collected.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

As one of the engineers posted at the VTTS forum a long time ago (I think it was during the Lyneham days, but it can also have been during the Brize era) the trust would never allow the aircraft to return to Bruntingthorpe. So why would the Walton family make an official proposal?
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

The problem with Bruntingthorpe for the VttTS was that post flight there was no need for them to exist anymore, as a few volunteers could have cared for 558 for ever. They wanted to continue as a medium sized business. Financial reality has meant that 558 will be cared for by volunteers anyway but at Doncaster and her future life will be a shadow of what it could have been. While they deserve praise for early years getting her back into the air, they turned into a terrible bunch of self serving and unpleasant people by the end and now.

IgnatiusJReilly

Post by IgnatiusJReilly »

XR219 wrote:I don't doubt this, but unfortunately it was not an official proposal that was presented to the VTTST board for them to take an opinion on.

For such a short reply, it tells me so, so much as to why the future of XH558 is so bleak. :sad:
Eccentric, idealistic, and creative, sometimes to the point of delusion..

sooty655

Post by sooty655 »

XR219 wrote:

It would be interesting to know whether VttST Management made any proposal at all for consideration by the Trustees, other than "We must stay at Finningley".

Neverfuel

Post by Neverfuel »

Xm657 wrote:The problem with Bruntingthorpe for the VttTS was that post flight there was no need for them to exist anymore, as a few volunteers could have cared for 558 for ever. They wanted to continue as a medium sized business. Financial reality has meant that 558 will be cared for by volunteers anyway but at Doncaster and her future life will be a shadow of what it could have been. While they deserve praise for early years getting her back into the air, they turned into a terrible bunch of self serving and unpleasant people by the end and now.

Sir, I don't know who you are, or your connection to XH558, and I don't really wish to. I have been observing this forum from the background in the last few months, and have just been seeing the same old negative comments played back over and over and over and over again. As a resident of Doncaster, the news of the new hangar is a great Christmas present. I look forward to visiting her in the near future.

Your comment about the Volunteers is either designed to be inflammatory or is deliberately completely defamatory - is it not the volunteers who are now maintaining 558?

I have also seen volunteers manning a shop a Lakeside in Doncaster, not just to sell merchandise, but to tell the story of the V-Force and the Cold War. I spoke to them at the Scampton Airshow and learned such a great deal, but didn't have to buy anything, and they were present at Yorkshire Wildlife Park in the cold wet weather. This is not to mention the support that the 558 volunteers have put into the nose cone at Aeroventure - the updates are fascinating.

The news of the hangar, surely shows progress. If you could maybe help rather than hinder the ongoing situation, then maybe I could consider you a supporter - but accusing the volunteers that care for her now to be "self serving and unpleasant people" does your opinion no favours, I'm afraid.

You should apologise for your comments, before Santa comes!

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

Volunteers are certainly not who I was referring to Neverfuel, if that was not obvious from what was being discussed a do apologise. If the decision in 2015 had been left to the volunteers and supporters we would probably be in a much better place now. I don't envy the current volunteers having to make the best of the current situation but applaud their efforts. It would be nice to think their efforts are not squandered by the Trust management, and if there is ever a taxi run they get an invite!

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

IgnatiusJReilly wrote:
XR219 wrote:I don't doubt this, but unfortunately it was not an official proposal that was presented to the VTTST board for them to take an opinion on.

For such a short reply, it tells me so, so much as to why the future of XH558 is so bleak. :sad:

It quite an arrogant stance to. VttST should have been approaching the Waltons as the obvious best place to retire 558, not the other way round. Still they got their way so at least there might be a semi active Vulcan in the North of England.

There is still a fantastic collection at Bruntingthorpe and although 558 would have complimented it and everyone would have been a winner, 558 can carry on alone. If they'd really wanted to stay up north Elvington would have made a lot of sense adding a third large aircraft to the collection and having two V Bombers together.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

아직도 숨어있다

BillRamsey

Post by BillRamsey »

Merry up peeps. It was fun while it lasted.

Bill R
Last Vulcan Captain :icecream:

motormouser

Post by motormouser »

Yes...quite the "Jollly" for some!

BillRamsey

Post by BillRamsey »

And your point is?

bernarde

Post by bernarde »

Don't take the bait Bill. You, the rest of the aircraft and the engineers pulled off one of the most spectacular aircraft engineering projects in many ways, including your displays.. Its not you guys who's screwed up its future, it's the management - hold your head high and walk with pride of what you achieved.

Taff's moved a bit more local and is now working for 2Excel in hangar 3, so hopefully any anti-det runs etc he may still be around to do.

B

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

That's great news that Taff is working back at Hanger 3. I know he's very enthusiastic and protective of 558 so if he's on site anyway I expect he'll look in on her often her I expect.