Used CF cards in a new camera

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
harkins

Used CF cards in a new camera

Post by harkins »

Odd day to be wanting an answer to this question, but if you've got CF cards that have been used in a camera and even have some images on them, can they be used in another camera successfully? I'm specifically interested in the case of a Canon7D to a 7D mkII.

HeyfordDave111

Re: Used CF cards in a new camera

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

I’d take copies of the images and if worried, reformat in camera.

I use cf and Sd cards in my canon stuff and I wipe / download first, then reformat if swapping them into different bodies.
Got to love Russianhardware

Berf

Post by Berf »

harkins wrote:Odd day to be wanting an answer to this question, but if you've got CF cards that have been used in a camera and even have some images on them, can they be used in another camera successfully? I'm specifically interested in the case of a Canon7D to a 7D mkII.

Not always - they should be reformatted each time for each camera

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

I've regularly swapped cards between different cameras by the same manufacturer without formatting them.
I've swapped cards between cameras by different manufacturers without formatting them.
As far as I recall I've never had a problem with them or with images already on the card.

That's just me though.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Not sure about your case but I know you can swap SD cards between a Nikon D7100 and a Canon 70D without any issues!

harkins

Post by harkins »

Thanks for the answers. Sounds like I'd be ok, but would be better to wipe and reformat. My thinking is that if I buy a camera overseas that having old photos on the memeory card could be used as a form of "I didn't just buy this" in the event anyone showed interest in my camera. I'm probably just being crazy.

Berf

Post by Berf »

I swopped a card between a Canon 5dmk 2 and a Canon 7D mk2 and it corrupted the card.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Hi mate,

Take a small capacity spare with you, and have a few UK pics on it, then swap before you come back.
Simples

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

A 7DII will quite happily read a card full of photos from a 7D. The risk of corrupting the card is very low provided that you don't try to take photos on the new camera on top of the old ones.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Thanks again for the advice. I'll wipe a card or two and reformat and keep one with UK taken photos on (already copied to my PC) to pop in as Dave suggested. Excellent.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Enjoy the meatball Phantoms mate. I’m very jealous but hope to go out there myself around Easter.