Where has XH558 thread gone?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Dan O'Hagan

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

I see the VTTS Pension Fund has had another fire sale of spares over the holiday period.

Heaven forbid those parts be actually needed one day to keep 558 taxying, or donated to assist the other active Vulcans 426 and 655. No, forget that, it's all about getting as much money in right now to pay the Trust's costs, and bugger the long-term future.

I'm sure this is exactly what David Walton had in mind when he obtained all those spares from the RAF...

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:I see the VTTS Pension Fund has had another fire sale of spares over the holiday period.

Heaven forbid those parts be actually needed one day to keep 558 taxying, or donated to assist the other active Vulcans 426 and 655. No, forget that, it's all about getting as much money in right now to pay the Trust's costs, and bugger the long-term future.

I'm sure this is exactly what David Walton had in mind when he obtained all those spares from the RAF...

Would say they are having trouble paying for the storage, so sell the parts the people paid for, back to the people who paid for them.
Then ask them to donate them back when needed in the future. :clap:

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:

Quite so.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

It never fails to annoy me when they sell off David Walton's spares, especially as the proceeds just go to pay wages of people to sell more spares. If they really have no need for the spares give them back to Mr Walton, they might be useful for the Victor or other aircraft at Bruntingthorpe as many of the parts were common between the types. Or let the other Vulcan groups have first refusal: the VttST advertises its aims as promoting Vulcan's and cold war aircraft after all, so why not support the other running Vulcans before profiting from the gifted spare parts. Lets remember: running costs (apart from wages) will be zero right now, and wages should be zero too given the what is left of the VttST. It stinks.

JetMan

Post by JetMan »

Xm657 wrote:Or let the other Vulcan groups have first refusal: the VttST advertises its aims as promoting Vulcan's and cold war aircraft after all, so why not support the other running Vulcans before profiting from the gifted spare parts.

As far as I know, this has already happened.

Skymonster

Post by Skymonster »

Dear VTTST,
As you bask in the glory of your newly awarded planning permission for the shed on the sewage farm, remember that although you admitted there would be little activity during this past year you said that a new hangar would go up during 2017 and public visits should resume around the end of this year (2017). Given where things are now, I hope you are hanging your head in shame, and reflecting on the fact that the aircraft are all outside and seem likely to be so for at least another year, Please also reflect on the fact you still can't tell anyone when they will actually all be back under cover. Shame on you. I sincerely hope 2018 will see you being more open and hosest than you've been this year. Happy new year.

F-5F

Post by F-5F »

Well said Skymonster. So they have planning. Now the pressure is on to get building. The next few updates/newsletters will be interesting. I work for an international construction company and we would not even remotely consider financing the build as there is no guarantee that future rent will be paid. Student accommodation etc with guaranteed occupancy/rent is what construction companies chase after. Surely all this should have been secured with a developer/financer before the final landing at Doncaster. Extremely sad to see the photographs of "the people's aircraft" outside and at the mercy of the elements. As for the Canberra - well they should never have bought it and if I were the owner of the Swift I would be furious. But then again if I was lucky enough to own the Swift I would never have let these idiots get their hands on it until the hangar was built. Sad to say it but I believe these aircraft will still be outside on New Year's Day 2019.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

JetMan wrote:
Xm657 wrote:Or let the other Vulcan groups have first refusal: the VttST advertises its aims as promoting Vulcan's and cold war aircraft after all, so why not support the other running Vulcans before profiting from the gifted spare parts.

What parts have they given away to XL388, do you have a list.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

OK, what about a list of parts you have bought from the vtts stores then.

JetMan

Post by JetMan »

As yet, we haven’t been able to catalogue what we have and haven’t got for XL388 as parts are spread over various different store areas at the museum. We are getting a new store area and will soon have everything in one place so will be able to find out what we need. We will then be in a position to source the parts that we need.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

JetMan wrote:

If this is the case it would be interesting to know from other Vulcan groups who may read this post, what parts VttST have given them or if there is anything they need which they have requested from the VttST. I know they have helped 426 and 655 over the years by lending equipment from time to time, but don't know if they have donated parts they didn't need to keep the other two runners serviceable.

Marka1967

Post by Marka1967 »

Xm657 wrote:
JetMan wrote:

If this is the case it would be interesting to know from other Vulcan groups who may read this post, what parts VttST have given them or if there is anything they need which they have requested from the VttST. I know they have helped 426 and 655 over the years by lending equipment from time to time, but don't know if they have donated parts they didn't need to keep the other two runners serviceable.

I can't speak for 426 but I know 655 gave up several parts to keep 558 flying with many parts requests being at very short notice to keep her displaying. The VttST have indeed helped keep 655 running along the way.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Pretty certain xm655 got some engine jet pipe end cans from vtts, them being no use for 558 as they where for the 301 engines as fitted to 655.

red devil

Post by red devil »

Makes you wonder what state the 3 Aircraft are in after all this foul weather?
She makes a very pitiful sight parked up in the midst of a Sewage farm to be sure!! :mad: :mad:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

red devil wrote:Makes you wonder what state the 3 Aircraft are in after all this foul weather?

Well the Swift will just be a pile of rust, after all it was only outside to the elements for the previous forty years. Why do people think a few days rain will have ruined them? What do you think all these airliners, transports and tankers do in this sort of weather all over the world? :dunno:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

red devil

Post by red devil »

I would assume that the aircraft you speak off are mobile and flying?
558 has had 1 engine run in the last 6 months?

Dont have to be an expert on metal fatigue etc to know that cold, frost and wet wont do 558 any good wotsoever?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

red devil wrote:I would assume that the aircraft you speak off are mobile and flying?
558 has had 1 engine run in the last 6 months?

Dont have to be an expert on metal fatigue etc to know that cold, frost and wet wont do 558 any good wotsoever?

Is that mobile like the aircraft at Bruntingthorpe and Elvington that live outside as well? The Vulcan at Wellesbourne perhaps? They do still work when left outside you may be surprised to hear. You also said 3 aircraft, with that you implied the Swift - a non runner that has lived outside for the greater part of the past half century and still exists and the Canberra which will need a complete rebuild anyway before it ever (if) takes to the skies again.

All this garbage spouted about them being outside and they'll rot instantly doesn't help anything.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

capercaillie wrote:
All this garbage spouted about them being outside and they'll rot instantly doesn't help anything.

But it helps when a team of people, volunteer or otherwise, have regular access to give them TLC. Let's hope this is the case with the airframes at Doncaster. One or two people can only do so much.

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

Interesting comments in today's Newsletter:-

With news of the new hangar planning permission being granted just ahead of Christmas, we were delighted to receive the full documentation in the office this week, which clearly details the various conditions and regulations that will have to be adhered to as part of the building project.

None of these conditions are deemed onerous and are all standard with this type of development and location.

With planning secured, this gives us a significant new advantage in discussions with interested parties with regard to acquiring the investment capital. Several routes to securing the money needed are being fully investigated and followed up, including the possibility of regional assistance from grants and/or loans.

Full funding does not need to be secured before we can conclude negotiations with the contractors involved in the building project and move forward to the next stage of contractual arrangements.

We will have more news on the proposed development in next week’s newsletter edition.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

I certainly raised an eyebrow regarding the words I've highlighted in bold:-

Several routes to securing the money needed are being fully investigated and followed up, including the possibility of regional assistance from grants and/or loans.

Full funding does not need to be secured before we can conclude negotiations with the contractors involved in the building project and move forward to the next stage of contractual arrangements.

Does this mean they have someone prepared to underwrite the building works, maybe the airport themselves? I cant believe a building firm is going to invest £2.8 with no guarantee of ever seeing the money, or any institution lend money with the only collateral an old Cold War bomber. Today's statement are encouraging but beg more questions.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Xm657 wrote:I cant believe a building firm is going to invest £2.8 with no guarantee of ever seeing the money
That small price might even be raised from the Vulcan fanbase. Less then three Pounds is really cheap.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

motormouser

Post by motormouser »

Lookin' good! :clown:

sooty655

Post by sooty655 »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:I see the VTTS Pension Fund has had another fire sale of spares over the holiday period.

They've taken over £10,500 gross selling parts in the last 12 months, but by the time ebay and paypal costs, wages and rental on the storage buildings have been deducted, it probably doesn't amount to much profit. So effectively all the available Vulcan spares are being disposed of for no real benefit to anyone, including XH558.

Xm657

Post by Xm657 »

sooty655 wrote:

They've taken over £10,500 gross selling parts in the last 12 months, but by the time ebay and paypal costs, wages and rental on the storage buildings have been deducted, it probably doesn't amount to much profit. So effectively all the available Vulcan spares are being disposed of for no real benefit to anyone, including XH558.

Quite understand if you'd rather not answer publically sooty655. But has 655Maps requested any parts from VttTS and if so were they donated, swapped or sold at a reasonable rate? Is there anything you need, that they have, which is danger of being sold off as a novelty paper weight?

Marka1967

Post by Marka1967 »

I was involved with 655 from the early 90's until 2011 and have to say there was always good mutual support between all of the Vulcan operators and museums, everyone was happy to help each other if they could.