Any guidance regarding Spitfire formation flights

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Normannis

Re: Any guidance regarding Spitfire formation flights

Post by Normannis »

Hi I have done one of these flights using the dove but it was specifically set up as an A2A sortie so the experience may not transfer over to what you will get. The windows are not too bad on the dove but you will have difficulty focusing if the spitfire is at a higher or lower altitude.Essentially it’s best when you can keep your lens at as flattest angle to the window.Wear Black or the darkest colour you can to avoid reflections in the window. If you have 2 bodies take them ideally one with small Zoom ie 30-70 and the other with 70-200.We experienced the windows misting up so it might be worth having a cloth to wipe your window.
You might consider removing any filters from the lenses as they can scratch the windows and you won’t be popular I’ve attched a link to my gallery for your info
http://typhoon.zenfolio.com/p772798683

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

You could look at buying, or making your own lens skirt to cut out the reflections - something like this - http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/lens_hoods__caps/lenskirt/23098_p.html,

Alternatively, a polarising filter might work but may be tricky to get right on the day.

Normannis

Post by Normannis »

I started of at 200 iso and worked down to 100 . I was on shutter priority and started at I think 125th and worked down to 80th but this was a conscious decision on my part and is high risk.I took a lot of images and I threw a lot away! It would probably be best to start at 250th and then work down but it depends how long your going to have with the aircraft. See if the operators give you any type of briefing as regards times on each side of the dove etc if they don’t ask questions! Also the purists would say you shouldn’t blast away with your motor drive but you’ve.got to ask yourself when your going to get to do this again and blast away. It may not be pretty to take 500 images to get 50 usable ones but as long as you get the 50...

not_the_dj

Post by not_the_dj »

I did their Fly with a Spitfire over Dover from Headcorn the other year for my 40th, a wonderful experience. Make sure you take time in the flight to appreciate it in realtime, not just focusing on taking photos.

If you get choice sit further back in the Dove, that way you won't have the wing in the way as much as the seats further forward.

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

When you first get on the Dove, put your face close to as many windows as you can and then slowly move your face up and down whilst looking at the aircraft's wing, that way, if there are any slight distortions in the glass, the straight lines of the wing or maybe ground line marks will ripple slightly and that window can be avoided if you have a choice. If you don't have a choice of windows, then look for a part of the one you have that looks ok, they are quite big windows on a Dove after all.

Of course the windows may all be very good and this apparent madness may not be needed but once in the air, these distortions are difficult to detect and it would be a shame to find that one part of your subject constantly looks to be out of focus when downloaded. My ATA shooting has always been through two layers of glass. I guess that a Dove only has one layer??, so maybe it will not be a problem but best to check it out before the mad ten minutes with the Spitfire. It may be worth swapping windows if you can at some point to hedge your bets.

not_the_dj

Post by not_the_dj »

When I did my flight there was a briefing at the start about not moving around in the Dove once in the air. They obviously don’t want everyone jumping over to one side all at once!

The Spit spent pretty much equal time on either side and repeated it’s positions, but there was a difference in sun position of course.

rjlaker

Post by rjlaker »

I've done 2 with the HAC Spit, 1 with MH434, one with the old HAC Hurricane and 1 in the Dove with TD314 - and I use a rubber lens hood. This cut out nearly all reflections for me. Normannis is spot on with the camera settings - I got a few first off at about 1/250 to be a bit safer, then went lower as the flights progressed. The prop is usually at a lower RPM than at an air display so the blur is a bit harder to get. not_the_dj is right about seating position too - if you can sit further back, that'd be better. Take it all in and enjoy every moment!

Below are a few shots. Hope this helps!
Rob

ImageDSC07661wm by rjlaker, on Flickr

Image_DSC2908wm by rjlaker, on Flickr

Image_DSC5977wm by rjlaker, on Flickr

Image_U0A9658wm by rjlaker, on Flickr

MadAboutPhotography

Post by MadAboutPhotography »

Just found this thread after asking the same question, so all questions answered and some super photography Rob.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Interesting thread and will be most useful to me. A work colleague had bought one as a gift, but through a change in circumstances she was selling it on. I bought it off her today, but she wouldn't accept the full amount for it, so I have got it for £100 less than it should be. It also includes a tour of the Spitfire beforehand.

MadAboutPhotography

Post by MadAboutPhotography »

FGR2 wrote:Interesting thread and will be most useful to me. A work colleague had bought one as a gift, but through a change in circumstances she was selling it on. I bought it off her today, but she wouldn't accept the full amount for it, so I have got it for £100 less than it should be. It also includes a tour of the Spitfire beforehand.

What a lovely present to yourself :grin: Enjoy the experience.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

FGR2 wrote:Interesting thread and will be most useful to me. A work colleague had bought one as a gift, but through a change in circumstances she was selling it on. I bought it off her today, but she wouldn't accept the full amount for it, so I have got it for £100 less than it should be. It also includes a tour of the Spitfire beforehand.

He should've dumped her after the flight! :wink:
But his loss is your good fortune. :yahoo:

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

I didn't want to ask, known her a few years now and she is the nicest, and most funniest person that you could ever wish to meet. Will have to get her something as a thank you.