WiP - 1/72 AZ Spitfire multi-build

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
ArabJazzie

Re: WiP - 1/72 AZ Spitfire multi-build

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hello again,
I was off looking to see if i could get on with at least one, but ive had a kick in the nads already as i went off and rechecked my references. First thing i found was a picture of MA466 BQ-S in the desert, but the Stbd codes not as ive applied them.

Second picture i looked at was an Xtradecal sheet with said option. As i have never been happy with the original Carpena decals, i dont think its gonna hurt too much to buy a sheet that could be an excuse to build some more Spit Mk.IXs.
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hello again,
Well i didnt think this would happen, but here is a photo for now of a finished AZ Model Spitfire Mk.IX built to depict RK917/DB and finished with Freightdog decals.

ImageRK917DB by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

I clearly have to get back into the swing of taking pics again, hence only one for now.
Arabest,
Geoff.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hello all,
Just uploaded all the pics to show off the progress of this thread. More next year!
Arabest,
Geoff.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hello again,
Managed to get another Spitfire finished but this one has fought me at the end and for that reason only one pic to show its finished. As the canopy disappeared along the way, i used one from Falcon Vac so this is the MkXVIII finished using Freightdog decals to depict TZ214/GZ-J of 32 sqn based in Palestine during 1948.

ImageTZ214GZJ by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

My mate has the replacement decals for me for the last IXc, along with an accidental VC-10 purchase along with a vac canopy for an Airfix Sabre that may just hit the build table.
Arabest,
Geoff.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hello again all,
Seems like the boost that i hoped the Harrier T10 would give me died to an extent after a bout of manflu! But then out the back of that, i had an evaluation of the shelf of doom that showed i had an embarrassing 34 kits on the shelf of doom. 3 vehicles that were damaged in storage were culled from that and the 2 stragglers from this project soon emerged. Due to missing u/c parts, the T9 is on hold for a while which left this one to be finished as MA466/BQ-S with 451(RCAF)sqn in Corsica during 1944.

ImageMA466BQS02 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

ImageMA466BQS01 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

This is another that has fought me all the way. After removing the fuselage markings, i was left with a repair job on the paintwork that im surprised has worked so well. Once re-Kleared, i started applying the fuselage markings, this time from Xtradecals, but was using Humbrol Decalfix that really didnt like the Klear and paint beneath it! More paint touch ups seems to have been successful which allowed it to be brought together.

In addition to this, i purchased one of the new tool 1/48th Spitfire Ia when they came out and started that soon after. This has been plodding along in the background and was close to a finish as AR212/LV-N with 57 OTU at Hawarden during 1941.

ImageAR212LVN02 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

ImageAR212LVN01 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

Its nowhere near perfect, but does look good on the shelf. The biggest issue i had was when it came to fitting the U/C legs where the wheels would have pointed 45 degrees to the rear. The mounts were cut out, the legs attached and remounted as best i could. I then remember reading something about the instruction numbers for the legs being wrong, but i couldnt find that info again! Only thing is, i now have a pile of these so will be dry fitting next time!

Shelf of doom now at 27!
Arabest,
Geoff.