RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Cole

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by Cole »

Steve p wrote:Pretty sure both China and Vietman was invited last year and sent nowt so dont get too excited.
As long as India send over a couple of Jags and soon to be retired Mig 27s ill be more then happy :cool:

Im sure the 27's made there last flights last month..
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

B_Tank88

Post by B_Tank88 »

Steve p wrote:Pretty sure both China and Vietman was invited last year and sent nowt so dont get too excited.
As long as India send over a couple of Jags and soon to be retired Mig 27s ill be more then happy :cool:

RAF Cosford have Jags dotted all over the place, do they not fly?

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

They do not, no.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

What would it take to get one of the Cosford airframes flying again?.

If not this year will it ever happen?

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

borismorris wrote:What would it take to get one of the Cosford airframes flying again?.

The 2nd coming.
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

vulcanshammer wrote:
borismorris wrote:What would it take to get one of the Cosford airframes flying again?.

The 2nd coming.

And I'm not sure even The Lord himself could get it past the CAA 'goalkeeper'.

B_Tank88

Post by B_Tank88 »

What's wrong with them?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

B_Tank88 wrote:What's wrong with them?

They're all fakes, made of double sided sticky tape and non-recyclable coffee cups from Costa, made by trainee engineers in their spare time. :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

CJS

Post by CJS »

capercaillie wrote:

They're all fakes, made of double sided sticky tape and non-recyclable coffee cups from Costa, made by trainee engineers in their spare time. :up:

Which is going to add at least another 25p to their running costs now.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

A quick Google search would tell you, however for simplicity: the RAF retired Jaguars from front line operations circa 2007. Since then they have been used by the technical school at RAF Cosford to assist in training new personnel, in particular for ground handling/marshalling. However they have now been retired fully (May last year?) and are not used at all.
Even if they were flyable (which they're not) the Cosford runway is too short to allow take off.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

The Baron wrote:

A quick Google search would tell you, however for simplicity:...

A quick Google search told me that you come across rather unfriendly to someone asking an aviation question on an aviation forum.

Also for someone who suggests using Google (other search engines are available) you seem remarkably bad at doing so yourself.

Even if they were flyable (which they're not) the Cosford runway is too short to allow take off.

Cosford's runway is over twice the required length to allow a Jaguar to take off.

CJS

Post by CJS »

It would be a bit odd to have flown them all there when it wasn't possible to fly them all there wouldn't it...

In theory of course they could be made to fly again, given a large pot of cash and a very willing team (ignoring for a moment the obvious CAA hurdle) so there's nothing *wrong* with them per se, any more than there is with for example the Harrier at Yeovilton, but that's an awfully long way from there ever being a UK based one flying again.

Not that it matters of course, because the Indians will probably send a squadron over in the summer. ;-)
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Berf

Post by Berf »

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

Berf wrote:Who needs Cosford's runway? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FbJp6facTQ

Haha superb, never seen that, thanks for sharing :shock:

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

vulcanshammer wrote:
The Baron wrote:

A quick Google search would tell you, however for simplicity:...

A quick Google search told me that you come across rather unfriendly to someone asking an aviation question on an aviation forum.

Also for someone who suggests using Google (other search engines are available) you seem remarkably bad at doing so yourself.

Cosford's runway is over twice the required length to allow a Jaguar to take off.

I apologise for coming across as rude. It wasn't my intention as I then went on to try and answer the question, something no one else had attempted. I could simply have not bothered.
I do stand corrected on the runway length. I have memories of Jags taking ages to get airborne but I'm obviously wrong.
I wonder why the public are always told at the airshow that the runway is too short for jets? Thank you, anyway, for enlightening me.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

I have memories of Jags taking ages to get airborne

When i saw them displayed I always got the impression they took a long time to 'spool up' from a slow pass to a fast(er) pass compared to other 'fast' jets. But given they have about 1/3 the power of say an F-16 then that is understandable.

I wonder why the public are always told at the airshow that the runway is too short for jets?

Presumably so when they are unable to attract any to the show they have a get out of jail free card to play. :hide: Maybe there is some ground handling/ servicing requirements that Cosford is unable to provide easily. I'm sure PeterR could advise the technicalities.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

The Baron wrote:I wonder why the public are always told at the airshow that the runway is too short for jets?

Because once you start taking minimum safe distances, obstacle clearance, and similar operational considerations in, it's too short for most high-performance jets to safely operate from.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Berf wrote:Who needs Cosford's runway? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FbJp6facTQ

Great idea. They should close part of the M54!

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

B_Tank88 wrote:

RAF Cosford have Jags dotted all over the place, do they not fly?

My son and i visited the museum at Cosford about 2 and a half years ago had a good time there made better by a jag that looked like it was getting ready for a flight, pilot in cockpit and ground crew milling around the aircraft, my son who was 9 at the time even asked me when was it going to take off. I had to explain to him that it was a training exercise and the jag will not leave the ground, he was disappionted as was i!, it did taxi around for quite a while during our visit but im afraid its wheels stayed firmly on the tarmac.

https://flic.kr/p/wUXQz5

Cole

Post by Cole »

Just wheel them out onto the Albrighton By-Pass :lol: :lol:
Dudley, West Midlands

Well Um..

Cole

Post by Cole »

cg_341 wrote:
The Baron wrote:I wonder why the public are always told at the airshow that the runway is too short for jets?

Because once you start taking minimum safe distances, obstacle clearance, and similar operational considerations in, it's too short for most high-performance jets to safely operate from.

Add-in 60+ foot ravine and a railway embankment, not exactly perfect for jets.
Dudley, West Midlands

Well Um..

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

speedbird2639 wrote:

Presumably so when they are unable to attract any to the show they have a get out of jail free card to play. :hide: Maybe there is some ground handling/ servicing requirements that Cosford is unable to provide easily. I'm sure PeterR could advise the technicalities.

Belgian Viper, Swiss Hornet & Italian Tornado have attended the RAF Cosford Air Show in the recent years, all safely operated from RAF Shawbury, so it's not our "jet out of jail free card" when we're "unable to attract any to the show". RAF Cosford's runway is exceptionally short compared to most modern military aerodromes. The issue for this discussion is the significant distance between what an aircraft physically could achieve, and what the rule book says is an allowable limit. For example, an empty Typhoon could easily blast off in the distance, and also land using a drag-chute. However, once safety parameters are built in (loss of engine, brake failure, drag-chute malfunction) the distance laid down in their operating manuals increases, and thus RAF Cosford's runway is too short. Why take the unnecessary risk? Regulated distances differ for many aircraft/operators, there are many instances where different Air Arms have different operational limits for the same aircraft type. I hope that answers your question.

The Baron wrote:However [the Jaguars] have now been retired fully (May last year?) and are not used at all.

Jaguar aircraft based at RAF Cosford are still used by Number 1 School of Technical Training and the Aerosystems Engineer and Management Training School, both based at RAF Cosford. However, the aircraft no longer perform live engine runs. This was ceased in August 2016. They are however still used on a daily basis for various instructional duties and can be seen out on the airfield regularly.

Anyway, this is the RIAT thread. Let's get back on topic shall we? :pinkwafer:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

2017 is going to take some beating!

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Airshowhammer wrote:2017 is going to take some beating!

Not if you went on Saturday it's not :whistle:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Cole

Post by Cole »

Pringles wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:2017 is going to take some beating!

Not if you went on Saturday it's not :whistle:

too right :mad: :mad:
Dudley, West Midlands

Well Um..