2018 Yeovilton Air Day

Re: 2018 Yeovilton Air Day

Postby G-CVIX on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 6:46 pm

Blimey!

Let's hope the Atlantique makes it this time.

Please sort out a proper Spotter's day! Not holding my breath.
G-CVIX

Postby Chopper81 on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 7:44 pm

G-CVIX wrote:Blimey!

Let's hope the Atlantique makes it this time.

Please sort out a proper Spotter's day! Not holding my breath.

Great update the Rafale pair was one of my 2017 highlights! Tickets may be bought in advance this year! Cannot agree more with the spottersday/arrivals day, would love a full day on the base.
Chopper81

Postby Tom105 on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 7:50 pm

Sold, thats my attendance confirmed, the french were brilliant last year only a shame the Atlantique did not make it so good to see it returning!
Thomas
Tom105

Postby Go4Long on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 8:17 pm

I'll be interested to see what sort of paint scheme shows up on the Rafales...the White Tiger paint was already peeling off the bottom at Yeovilton last year.
Go4Long

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 8:42 pm

Outstanding support from the French! :clap:
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Postby F-5F on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 11:21 pm

Excellent early confirmations. Missed last year so the return of the Rafale pair has secured my attendance. Purchasing tickets this weekend.
F-5F

Postby Tommy on Sat 06 Jan 2018, 12:32 am

Go4Long wrote:I'll be interested to see what sort of paint scheme shows up on the Rafales...the White Tiger paint was already peeling off the bottom at Yeovilton last year.

Would be cool if so, but I think that was the exception rather than the rule. Most of the l'Aeronavale Rafale Ms that have graced Yeovilton have been standard. The White Tiger was because the unit's base hosted this year's NTM. They may have a tiger scheme next year, and that jet may be sent (because why not show off your painted jet if you've got one!), but it's probably reasonable not to expect any special scheme. Happy to be wrong, of course.

Digressing slightly, it's not really to do with the "scheme" or not, but one of the charms of the Rafale M pairing is that they have a very "operational" feel about their bombastic show. The display is a bit rough around the edges in a chaotic and bonkers way, but has so much more character and is that much richer because of it. The noted story of how the French Navy worked-up their display one year whilst flying from their aircraft carrier coming home from deployment is what adds part of the charm. Most other naval air arms, including our own would (probably rightly) just say that they can't commit pilots/assets for a flypast. Instead, the French Navy are literally like "yeah sure, we'll practice our display from our carrier whilst we sail home" is really endearing to me.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Go4Long on Sat 06 Jan 2018, 2:42 am

I've stated on numerous occasions the the Rafale pair was one of my highlights of last year, and they're my second favourite "not a display team" display.

I know it's wishful thinking. Part of me hopes they fix up the White Tiger...it was the most visually striking paint scheme I've ever seen. I liked it more than the Canada 150 jet...and I'm Canadian.
Go4Long

Postby The Baron on Sat 06 Jan 2018, 4:26 pm

The fact that the French are attending is good enough for me! If half their planned attendees turn up I'll be happy. But if the Atlantic appears I'll be over the moon!
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby The Baron on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 3:06 pm

Added:
Flying Bulls Bristol Sycamore (F)
Flying Bulls Bolkow 105 (F)
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby Tom105 on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 3:07 pm

Flying Bulls confirmed with Sycamore and Bo105, Flying Bulls showing brilliant support to shows this year :yahoo: :yahoo:
Thomas
Tom105

Postby Wissam24 on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 3:12 pm

Nice!!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby davidjones533 on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 4:18 pm

A little snippet from an email sent today to last year's grandstand ticket holders:

Finally the Commando Assault – due to operational commitments and the upgrade programme on the Merlin we could not do our famous end to Air Day last year. We had numerous comments on our general public survey so we know it was greatly missed. Therefore the Flying Display Director is already looking at putting together another set piece to end the show – watch out for further information in due course.

Fingers crossed for the return of the Commando Assault!
davidjones533

Postby F-5F on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 10:46 pm

Excellent additions Yeovilton. :clap:
F-5F

Postby Tom105 on Mon 19 Feb 2018, 8:25 pm

Czech Gripen and Alca confirmed :clap:
Thomas
Tom105

Postby Tommy on Mon 19 Feb 2018, 8:29 pm

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Andyperkins on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 5:29 pm

Fantastic support and still only February :clap:
Andyperkins

Postby AlexC on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 11:09 am

Wissam24 wrote:Just a shame the show is one of the worst for trying to catch arrivals :'(

You can't go in the field with the sheep now?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby st24 on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 11:53 am

AlexC wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:Just a shame the show is one of the worst for trying to catch arrivals :'(

You can't go in the field with the sheep now?

Come on Alex where have you been hiding??! :grin:
No that last avenue of adults being able to enjoy themselves in a safe manner and get decent arrivals pics was denied several years ago now.. :roll:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby harkins on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 11:58 am

The whole of Somerset is practically under martial law for two weeks either side of Air Day now!
harkins

Postby Pringles on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 1:37 pm

Just seen the official Air Day Instagram account :hide: has confirmed the Hellenic Air Force F-16C 'Zeus' for the flying display!
Very impressive!! :clap:

Edit - Twitter now:
Last edited by Pringles on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic
Pringles

Postby 81TFW on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 1:54 pm

Just got the Zeus confirmation by email, although the way the heading was displayed I saw Greek F- and was desperately hoping for the number to be a 4!
81TFW

Postby AlexC on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 5:47 pm

st24 wrote:Come on Alex where have you been hiding??! :grin:

Not hiding, just that I spent many a happy and productive hour in that field with those sheep! :oops:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby The Baron on Sat 24 Feb 2018, 7:14 pm

AlexC wrote:
st24 wrote:Come on Alex where have you been hiding??! :grin:

Not hiding, just that I spent many a happy and productive hour in that field with those sheep! :oops:

There was always plenty of sheep to go round plus the odd aircraft.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Previous

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days