RIAT 2018 discussion

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby spellow3010 on Thu 11 Jan 2018, 12:23 pm

Tommy wrote:First thursday update of the year, then!

Swiss Hornet & PC-7 Team flying. Both very good participants. :up:

Nice... I recall seeing these flying as consecutive acts and including at least one joint flypast as part of the whole thing... Did they do it a few years ago with a Super Puma, rehearsing it in terrible grot one morning in the run up to the show?

Always room for a Hornet :up:
spellow3010

Postby Gripenjetphotos on Thu 11 Jan 2018, 12:24 pm

Excellent! Two F-18's already! And the PC-7 team is a thorough display too. :yahoo:
Unofficially promoting the SAAB Gripen in Britain!
Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/
Gripenjetphotos

Postby Tommy on Thu 11 Jan 2018, 12:25 pm

spellow3010 wrote:

Nice... I recall seeing these flying as consecutive acts and including at least one joint flypast as part of the whole thing... Did they do it a few years ago with a Super Puma, rehearsing it in terrible grot one morning in the run up to the show?

2015 they did a joint flypast with the Cougar, yeah, and it was Thursday morning that year where they practised that in crappy weather.

How can I forget - that was the origin of the "Swiss Chinook" joke all the other Staffers love to remind me of every 3 - 4 weeks. :wat: :wat: :cuppa:
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Thu 11 Jan 2018, 12:41 pm

Tommy wrote:
spellow3010 wrote:

2015 they did a joint flypast with the Cougar, yeah, and it was Thursday morning that year where they practised that in crappy weather.

How can I forget - that was the origin of the "Swiss Chinook" joke all the other Staffers love to remind me of every 3 - 4 weeks. :wat: :wat: :cuppa:

2009 The Hornet and PC-7 Team displayed as a joint presentation. Joint flypast, Hornet display then team display. Properly good it was too. Much the same way the Cougar and team presented together in 15.
Great announcement to get the ball rolling on the updates, and here we go... :biggrin:
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Postby Skyflash on Thu 11 Jan 2018, 12:48 pm

Great news, two Hornet displays already and a reasonable chance (given that it's a Farnborough year) of a Super-H demo too.

:clap:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...
Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Postby Airshowhammer on Thu 11 Jan 2018, 12:52 pm

Lovely stuff! :cool:
Airshowhammer

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 11 Jan 2018, 1:08 pm

Second.....although it's the first which involves aircraft :wink:
:biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Gripenjetphotos on Thu 11 Jan 2018, 1:11 pm

Does this mean we could get continuous Thursday updates from now on, or is it still too early? :dunno:
Unofficially promoting the SAAB Gripen in Britain!
Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/
Gripenjetphotos

Postby rdchawk on Thu 11 Jan 2018, 1:26 pm

Skyflash wrote:Great news, two Hornet displays already and a reasonable chance (given that it's a Farnborough year) of a Super-H demo too.

:clap:

I've thought the last couple of Super Hornet displays have been disappointing.

Nice update though.
Known as Red 13,
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team
rdchawk

Postby capercaillie on Thu 11 Jan 2018, 1:41 pm

If we do get a Super Hornet, lets just hope they send one with unit markings after the last couple of dullards. :down:

Been a while since the Swiss sent the Hornet, which was always a benchmark display routine. A couple of static standard F-5s wouldn't go a miss before they all disappear either. :biggrin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby vulcan57 on Thu 11 Jan 2018, 3:02 pm

Great update! With 5 displays and a flypast so far, two are Hornets. Nothing to complain about there. :clap:
vulcan57

Postby Go4Long on Thu 11 Jan 2018, 3:43 pm

capercaillie wrote:If we do get a Super Hornet, lets just hope they send one with unit markings after the last couple of dullards. :down:

Been a while since the Swiss sent the Hornet, which was always a benchmark display routine. A couple of static standard F-5s wouldn't go a miss before they all disappear either. :biggrin:

The last one was actually a Boeing demo jet. It got called something else in the literature at Fairford, but the same jet was at Abbotsford here in Canada, and was identified as a Boeing demonstrator.
Go4Long

Postby aviodromefriend on Thu 11 Jan 2018, 4:17 pm

Great to see the PC-7 team return. Not too happy with another Hornet though, but that is more because of my incapability to make decent pics of airborne F-18s.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program
aviodromefriend

Postby The Baron on Thu 11 Jan 2018, 5:57 pm

aviodromefriend wrote:Great to see the PC-7 team return. Not too happy with another Hornet though, but that is more because of my incapability to make decent pics of airborne F-18s.

It's a good job we're not all the same then, isn't it! :smile:
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby jason82wells on Thu 11 Jan 2018, 6:29 pm

aviodromefriend wrote:Not too happy with another Hornet though

:wall: :surrender:
jason82wells

Postby Pringles on Thu 11 Jan 2018, 6:52 pm

jason82wells wrote:
aviodromefriend wrote:Not too happy with another Hornet though

:wall: :surrender:

Jason, I think aviodromefriend was only joking... :surrender:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic
Pringles

Postby aviodromefriend on Thu 11 Jan 2018, 7:05 pm

No, I wasn't.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program
aviodromefriend

Postby Luke28 on Thu 11 Jan 2018, 7:51 pm

Excellent start, got happy memories of the Swiss Hornet tearing Cosford up a couple of years ago.
Luke28

Postby Gonzo230 on Fri 12 Jan 2018, 7:05 pm

In 2016 the Super Hornet flew its Farnborough display at RIAT, hence why it appeared further away I believe.
Gonzo230

Postby RIAT Air Ops on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 4:08 pm

capercaillie wrote:If we do get a Super Hornet, lets just hope they send one with unit markings after the last couple of dullards. :down:

2014 IIRC? As for the F-5s, I ask every year and no joy .....

Tom
RIAT Air Ops

Postby RIAT Air Ops on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 4:09 pm

Go4Long wrote:

The last one was actually a Boeing demo jet. It got called something else in the literature at Fairford, but the same jet was at Abbotsford here in Canada, and was identified as a Boeing demonstrator.

The Super Hornets used by Boeing at RIAT are US Navy examples bailed back from the DoD by Industry (Boeing), not dedicated Boeing demo aircraft.

Tom
RIAT Air Ops

Postby Tommy on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 11:17 am

RIAT Air Ops wrote:

2014 IIRC? As for the F-5s, I ask every year and no joy .....

Tom

Might have been 2012, I think? VFA-122(?)
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby edhunter on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 7:10 pm

I've heard there is some rumblings that the Greeks are going to try and make a return can anyone shed any light?
edhunter

Postby Airshowhammer on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 7:32 pm

edhunter wrote:I've heard there is some rumblings that the Greeks are going to try and make a return can anyone shed any light?

I know the F4’s don’t have a display pilot, but something similar to what they flew at Athens 2017 would be fantastic! Never ever seen one fly!
Airshowhammer

Postby kinglear27 on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 7:41 pm

Airshowhammer wrote:
edhunter wrote:I've heard there is some rumblings that the Greeks are going to try and make a return can anyone shed any light?

I know the F4’s don’t have a display pilot, but something similar to what they flew at Athens 2017 would be fantastic! Never ever seen one fly!

Now that would be an awesome sight to see. Fingers crossed at the very least we get a Greece example on static, like the previous two years. Then at least I would see one fly on departures day.
kinglear27

PreviousNext

Return to Royal International Air Tattoo