More Government "Cost Saving" Options

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Tommy
UKAR Staff

More Government "Cost Saving" Options

Post by Tommy »

Surprised it's not been posted here, but I wasn't logged in till this morning.

This did the rounds last night, yet more armed forces cuts from the Tories proposed - which have been rejected by the current Defence Secretary, but shows how frighteningly close we are to the bean-counters wiping entire fleets off our inventory list:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/951685437537603586[/tweet]

Wiping out the entire (brand new) Wildcat fleet, and wiping out the entire (very recently upgraded) Puma fleet. :hide: :hide:

Probably far too simplistic to say it, but I will anyway; sodding politicians.

wezgulf3

Re: More Government "Cost Saving" Options

Post by wezgulf3 »

I Saw this during the week, assumed it was fake because they seem far to outrageous be true....obviously i was wrong!!

Wes...

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Tommy wrote:shows how frighteningly close we are to the bean-counters wiping entire fleets off our inventory list

As much as I don't agree with the cuts, are you really surprised it's this bad? The cuts are going to have to come from somewhere because there's no more money left. International aid projects, Brexit, paying off the DUP, etc. means something, somewhere, has to take a hit. Defence and the NHS are the two easy ones, but could you really imagine the NHS being cut in the same way and the backlash that would cause?

Defence, somewhat ironically, is an easy target.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

cg_341 wrote:
Tommy wrote:shows how frighteningly close we are to the bean-counters wiping entire fleets off our inventory list

As much as I don't agree with the cuts, are you really surprised it's this bad?

Nope, nor did I say I was. Which, to be fair is utterly depressing in of itself.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Nothing new for the most part.
Bulwark & Albion already going, it's just a case of how soon.
Combining 16 AAB & 3 Cdo. has been mooted for some time ( and combining the RMs & Paras has been suggested since at least as far back as the Falklands Conflict )
Losing 'cap badges' has been going on for some time, as witnessed by the combining of units from the same region ( Welsh Regiment & RWF, for example ) and the more recent lumping of more and more units under the RLC banner.
Don't know if it's still the case, but it used to be that some essentially defunct regiments still existed on the books with only one or two effectives on their rolls....invariably VSOs
Pumas - has there been an SDSR in recent years which hasn't called for them to be binned ?
Hercules - weren't they supposed to be going anyway, with the roll-out of the A400s ?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Cut the £52 billion HS2 project.

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

Easiest and cheapest cuts, with little value in terms of voters emotions.
Until... :shock:
Canon systems

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

I wonder how long it will be before we actually see some sense and cut foreign aid to a more realistic level?

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

Brevet Cable wrote:Hercules - weren't they supposed to be going anyway, with the roll-out of the A400s ?

Almost going completely; but I think there are probably some jobs they may well keep doing "in the long term" which would be hard for any other aircraft to do.

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Brevet Cable wrote: ?
Hercules - weren't they supposed to be going anyway, with the roll-out of the A400s ?

SDSR 15 said 14 J's would be upgraded and kept in service until 2030. Let's see if that happens

Back in Nov Air Cdre Stringer indicated the RAF could start the draw down of anti Daesh ops in the next 4 months. So looking at before spring. Not good news for the TGRF with an estimated 15 months left. I think once the Tornados return from Cyprus. It will be announced all training has been suspended and they'll be gone by 4th quarter 2018.

There was a FOI request asking about flight hours and cost of Tornado (and Typhoon) the last up to date data for 2015/16 said the fleet flew 14,000 ish hour and cost 170 milion. Theres a small chunk of savings by grounding the fleet ASAP

Hope im wrong and they do see out the OSD. Either way get all the photos of the mighty fin as you can as we are entering the last chance saloon
Gary

G for George

Post by G for George »

vulcan558 wrote:Cut the £52 billion HS2 project.

And the rest. That figure keeps rising by the week.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

£56bn according to the latest figures I could find but I'm confident that it will be close to £100bn by the time it opens (if it ever gets built). Especially as Carillion are about to go bust and will need a massive bail out.

Berf

Post by Berf »

speedbird2639 wrote:£56bn according to the latest figures I could find but I'm confident that it will be close to £100bn by the time it opens (if it ever gets built). Especially as Carillion are about to go bust and will need a massive bail out.

Not only that significant numbers of Carillion military projects will now cost more.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Cancel all the Carillion Contracts, it's not like they can demand Contract penalties if they're down the sh***er. Don't bail them out! Cut Overseas Aid, we already donate heavily & will continue to do so for some years to the Brussels Club!
Stop being 'World -Police', leave it to Trumpeter & his 'button-admiring' buddies to attend to skirmishes in the sandy places. Stop upgrading everything (except the NHS!) because in aviation circles that is ALWAYS money thrown away, be it Harrier, Puma, Apache, Wildcat or even their base's perimeter fence? The mantra seems to ring true..."upgrade at maximum cost & bin-it for minimum return"

Hamelf1981

Post by Hamelf1981 »

Berf wrote:
speedbird2639 wrote:£56bn according to the latest figures I could find but I'm confident that it will be close to £100bn by the time it opens (if it ever gets built). Especially as Carillion are about to go bust and will need a massive bail out.

Not only that significant numbers of Carillion military projects will now cost more.

and I guess that this is something obvious.... everything else is going to cost more as well

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

Hamelf1981 wrote:
Berf wrote:

and I guess that this is something obvious.... everything else is going to cost more as well

Nothing that CarillionAmey did could ever cost more than when CarillionAmey did it, or be done as badly. Five figure sums for minor building works with several months lead time that a decent, local builder could do that week for a few hundred quid? Endless lead times for minor repairs? Sending electricians to unblock the drains, or plumbers to mend a creaky floor? The are a grossly incompetent company in many ways.

Just thank god they finished the runway at Waddington. Late. And probably overbudget.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Reading those options above suggests to me that they really hate helicopters. And with the Lynx bowing out yesterday and me having just read elsewhere on here that the Gazelles and Bell 212's will all be gone before the end of this year, what do the RAF/AAC have left that isn't under threat? I guess only the Chinooks and a reduced number of Apache will be the only helicopters likely to survive into next year.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

No doubt some genius will rehash the idea of lumping everything that flies under the RAF, unless they already have.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

harkins

Post by harkins »

Isn't that happening anyway? In reality the F-35's will be the RAF's (that's how I see it anyway) and the AAC must be getting close to nothing and that just leaves whatever helicopters the Navy have left. The recent talk of the Marines getting seriously chopped back could perhaps see whatever is left of them being lumped in with the Para's and their Merlin's being handed (back) over to the RAF. Or am I well off the mark?