DCS: F/A-18C Hornet

Discuss and share resources with fellow gamers
Cole

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet

Post by Cole »

F/A-18C Hornet is now available for pre-purchase!
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Agg
UKAR Staff

Re: DCS: F/A-18C Hornet

Post by Agg »

Already bought it, now we play the waiting game ;)

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Want it but will wait until it’s a properly working module, the first release is going to be lacking a large number of systems/capabilities.

I want to be able to fly a mission where I fight my way in, defeating a CAP, taking out the base SAM site then pickling a few bombs down the runway before refuelling and landing back on a carrier.

McG

Post by McG »

First module I've bought since the Hawk. The $20 discount wasn't to be sniffed at as its unlikely to be this low in price for the rest of the year.

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

boff180 wrote:Want it but will wait until it’s a properly working module, the first release is going to be lacking a large number of systems/capabilities.

I want to be able to fly a mission where I fight my way in, defeating a CAP, taking out the base SAM site then pickling a few bombs down the runway before refuelling and landing back on a carrier.

I see your point, but personally I don't mind that the Early Access version won't have all the bells and whistles. It's going to be a soft start, and in many ways like flying a Finnish or Swiss Hornet without any advanced air to ground capabilities :P

Cole

Post by Cole »

Agg wrote:
boff180 wrote:Want it but will wait until it’s a properly working module, the first release is going to be lacking a large number of systems/capabilities.

I see your point, but personally I don't mind that the Early Access version won't have all the bells and whistles. It's going to be a soft start, and in many ways like flying a Finnish or Swiss Hornet without any advanced air to ground capabilities :P

Yeah its the one thing putting me off it at the minute.
Dudley, West Midlands

Well Um..

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Not my cup of tea, I shall be waiting for the sales. Can't say I'm interested in flying a computer inside my computer. Give me a real plane like the Phantom
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

McG

Post by McG »

Going by the proposed release schedule, you should have that and the F-14 this year.

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Wissam24 wrote:Not my cup of tea, I shall be waiting for the sales. Can't say I'm interested in flying a computer inside my computer. Give me a real plane like the Phantom

I'll take one of each please ;)

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Agg wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:Not my cup of tea, I shall be waiting for the sales. Can't say I'm interested in flying a computer inside my computer. Give me a real plane like the Phantom

With a side of Hind fries?
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Cole

Post by Cole »

Wissam24 wrote:
Agg wrote:

With a side of Hind fries?

ohh please :worship:
Dudley, West Midlands

Well Um..

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Shame it's the P, but still a Hind

The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I just can't wait for it all to be over.

On the other hand, the Persian Gulf map is pretty cool. Being able to fly across the Gulf is nice. Have done a few landings on the Burj Al Arab landing pad which is harder than it sounds!

McG

Post by McG »

Initial impression - wow this is going to be awesome.

First flight - carrier launch Persian Gulf map.
Didn’t bother to check the control bindings, slammed the throttles on my Warthog Hotas forward and went into an immediate hard left roll off the end of the catapult as the left throttle was mapped to the rudder. :lol:

Then spent abit of time setting up the HOTAS before trying another flight.

Flight 2 - Case 1 Recovery Persian Gulf Map.

After 3 missed approaches it was Eject, Eject, Eject over the carrier due low fuel. :lol:

Despite Wags making it look quite easy in the DCS tutorial videos, I found that it was like flying a roller coaster with wild pitch variations and constant back and forth of the throttles trying to get the speed and attitude right.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

That's how carrier landings are done, yes

McG

Post by McG »

Yeah, I’ve been watching various YT videos in the run up to the release, both real world and DCS vids. My issues were more self induced oscillating that was getting worse the closer I got to the deck by chasing the attitude indicator.

McG

Post by McG »

Finally made a successful carrier landing. :yahoo: :rock: :yahoo: :rock:

verreli

Post by verreli »

Wissam24 wrote:Have done a few landings on the Burj Al Arab landing pad which is harder than it sounds!

That sounds pretty hard to me in an F-18. Carrier landings must be a doddle after that.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I don't own the F/A-18

verreli

Post by verreli »

Wissam24 wrote:I don't own the F/A-18

Ah, thread was for the Hornet C. What did you land and why was it difficult? Does the building sway?

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Persian Gulf map has been part of the Hornet release too. It was in a Hip. It doesn't sway, but it's quite weird with the pad being suspended at height like it is, threw me off somehow.