RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
harkins

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by harkins »

Cosford and Duxford can knock themselves out with Gladiators, Spitfires and Hurricanes. The Air Tattoo can give a nod to them but the Air Tattoo is what it is and it is not Flying Legends. Anyway, I'm sure it will be fine. I don't expect that RIAT will simply be a repeat of Cosford.

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

capercaillie wrote:Jeez, I give up. Does no one actually look at what the main theme of this year's shows are? :dunno:

It would have been most appropriate in 1990 and 2015 to say let's not celebrate the RAF's finest hour, we don't want Spitfires and Hurricanes, we want big noisy fast jets from exotic places instead. Who needs history. :sleepy:

I agree with this. However, this year's show is being dubbed as the 'International Celebration' of RAF 100, so I could say that a mix of both history and 'exotic' participation is needed, and I am sure is subsequently being sourced. :smile:
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

The 2018 Air Tattoo has been selected by the RAF to be the international celebration of the RAF's Centenary. We will be bringing together air arms, aircraft and those who serve from around the world for a global salute to the RAF; known as RAF100.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Gripenjetphotos wrote:
capercaillie wrote:Jeez, I give up. Does no one actually look at what the main theme of this year's shows are? :dunno:

It would have been most appropriate in 1990 and 2015 to say let's not celebrate the RAF's finest hour, we don't want Spitfires and Hurricanes, we want big noisy fast jets from exotic places instead. Who needs history. :sleepy:

I agree with this. However, this year's show is being dubbed as the 'International Celebration' of RAF 100, so I could say that a mix of both history and 'exotic' participation is needed, and I am sure is subsequently being sourced. :smile:

And that will undoubtedly happen as the Canadians and Swiss on the list already prove. :snack: I believe we are in safe hands.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

harkins

Post by harkins »

So basically what I said was correct then. RIAT 2018 won't just be a chronological display of historic RAF aircraft (where available). It will still be an international event featuring modern hardware, such as F-18's, whereas RAF Cosford's event is planned to be a chronological display of RAF aircraft. Not entirely sure I understand why my comment was rounded on as if I said something offensive.

st24

Post by st24 »

Go4Long wrote:
vulcanshammer wrote:
Go4Long wrote:I'd never seen a vampire until last year, then saw two different ones last year. Fun little things...emphasis on the little.

Scampton? What a delight they were. Can't wait to see them at Fairford!

I'm Canadian...Abbotsford and London (Ontario)

This one was London:

De Havilland Vampire by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

Well as long as we don't get to see that monstrosity over here then all good.. :smile:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

It's a little different paint for sure. The other one that he flies around the shows is a darker colour scheme.

That being said. I liked it, but as previously mentioned, I've never seen one before last year.
Last edited by Go4Long on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

harkins wrote:Nothing against the Vampires (nice to see them in RAF markings), but I hope not, well not at the expense of big noisy fast jets from exotic places.

Nothing offensive, but hardly a welcoming call for the Vampires, :question: who after all are going through the process of helping out the RAF celebrations by putting them in RAF markings. Remember we need historic stuff to celebrate 100 years of the RAF, because they've not got a lot left to show in the current fleet.

And you're sure Cosford will just be a parade of RAF types in chronological order? :dunno:

harkins

Post by harkins »

Maybe it wasn't very well typed as I genuinely do like the idea of the Vampires. My "but I hope not" was in response to the previous comment which said "Guessing we are going to get an RAF through the ages kind of thing?" - which I perhaps misinterpreted as meaning that a large chunk of the seven hours would be made up of civilian owned warbirds and sedate flypasts of non after-burning jets. I was in no way meaning that I'd prefer to Norwegians to stay at home.

And my assumption that Cosford will be largely a parade of RAF types in chronological order is because that's kind of what they've said - and it's a great idea and I'm looking forward to it.

RAF100 will be the sole theme for the flying display at the RAF Cosford Air Show 2018. With 100 years of history to cover, the programme will include a huge number of historic Royal Air Force aircraft. The flying display programme will be flown in chronological order immersing our visitors in the RAF100 story and showcasing how aircraft and air power has developed during the last 100 years.

Anyway, we have agreed that at RIAT we're in good hands and that with two F-18's already confirmed, we most certainly won't be short of noisy jets (whether they're exotic or not is down to personal opinion I guess).

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

blackcat wrote:Guessing we are going to get an RAF through the ages kind of thing?
Well, maybe something a bit more imagenary than the 2003 thing when each decade got an aircraft, but these appeared to be spread out through the complete day with no chronological order in it and a lot of aircraft representing a decade that were (and still are) regulars. Also not sure if every decade's aircraft made it into the air.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

The Vampire pair are great additions. Lovely little jets and very admirable that they are going to the trouble of having them repainted for the centenary year.

It's January, and we are getting what seems to be weekly updates with flying aircraft in them. What a treat!

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

The Great War Display Team have self confirmed. :clap:

http://www.greatwardisplayteam.com/wher ... -2018.html
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Gripenjetphotos wrote:The Great War Display Team have self confirmed. :clap:

I’d rather see them on static. Not suited to Riat at all. I understand why though.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Airshowhammer wrote:
Gripenjetphotos wrote:The Great War Display Team have self confirmed. :clap:

I’d rather see them on static. Not suited to RIAT at all. I understand why though.

Maybe not a 'normal' RIAT but celebrating RAF100 as part of a flypast showing aircraft through the ages... yes..

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Maybe the DH9 will put in an appearance too.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Hopefully the GWDT will have a fairly limited time slot. In a way it is great that these aircraft are flown to illustrate how military flying commenced but they were 'lost' on a small airfield like Cosford - on RIATs 10k foot flightline they will just be specks.

So hopefully the commentary will be something along the lines of "Thats the GWDT and their glorified box kites - now on with some really aircraft from the 1930s onwards".

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

speedbird2639 wrote:Hopefully the GWDT will have a fairly limited time slot. In a way it is great that these aircraft are flown to illustrate how military flying commenced but they were 'lost' on a small airfield like Cosford - on RIATs 10k foot flightline they will just be specks.

So hopefully the commentary will be something along the lines of "Thats the GWDT and their glorified box kites - now on with some really aircraft from the 1930s onwards".

I just hope there’s not a strong headwind! 10000ft with a 20knot headwind will seem like an absolute age.
Got to love Russianhardware

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

The Antonov An-2 at Cosford '17 was like that - 19mph 'over the ground' speed!

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

speedbird2639 wrote: ... the GWDT ... were 'lost' on a small airfield like Cosford ....

Utterly disagree with that bit of your post. They might not represent the type of act that you want to see, but Cosford is a perfect location for a GWDT display. However, I do agree that Fairford isn't! :smile:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

The GWDT were good fun to watch when they did their spot on the Friday of RIAT 2008 - it was quite funny if you were sitting in FRIAT, you could hear the pilots whooping and hollering to each other! :grin:

If they are being incorporated into some sort of RAF flypast then I really can't see this as an issue. Entirely appropriate that they ARE there, in fact.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

They were entertaining to watch from Kempsford campsite as well....didn't look in the slightest bit 'lost'.
If they are confirmed by DBH, I hope it's for their proper display.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

Brevet Cable wrote:They were entertaining to watch from Kempsford campsite as well....didn't look in the slightest bit 'lost'.
If they are confirmed by DBH, I hope it's for their proper display.

I`ll second that Brevet, they are always good to watch - very dynamic and they cover a surprising amount of ground.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

speedbird2639 wrote:The Antonov An-2 at Cosford '17 was like that - 19mph 'over the ground' speed!

I remember a vicious cross wind at a Lyneham families day many years ago, when the An-2 took off on the cross taxi way, and did almost take 5 minutes or more to go round and crab into an approach taking it down the runway at 250 odd feet.

Not sure what it’s ground speed was when it took off though, but it did look very slow.
Got to love Russianhardware

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

RCAF have announced their 2018 CF-18 demo display scheme. Says concept but the release seems fairly official that this is the final design.

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5AF9DF41
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

vulcanshammer wrote:RCAF have announced their 2018 CF-18 demo display scheme. Says concept but the release seems fairly official that this is the final design.

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5AF9DF41

That'll do. :biggrin: :up: