Your Favourite Image From 2017

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
Jumbo

Re: Your Favourite Image From 2017

Post by Jumbo »

Not my best photo, but it was a truly incredible sight to see 3 spitfire mk1s, a blenheim and 5 hurricanes fly together at legends. The finale formation at the Duxford september show was also amazing but the weather was a bit grim and i had to leave early so i didn't get any photos.

ImageDSC_0363 by Will-L, on Flickr

xkekeith

Post by xkekeith »

Been photographing U-2's for 40 plus years and finally caught one in the full rig and perfect weather:
Image80-1083 U-2S BB 9th RW3 by Keith Heywood, on Flickr

buccs2b

Post by buccs2b »

I just like this one, Couteau Delta departing RIAT

Image_MG_9952 by Tony Adams, on Flickr
I hear gliders

The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Probably this one from me. I've always loved slow shutter speed photos and the sense of speed they bring to an image, but it's not something I've had a lot of chances to do with regard to aviation photos.

ImageSpitfire MkIX by James Long, on Flickr

Tuckat

Post by Tuckat »

The Sea Vixen on the Saturday at Duxford. Not a particularly artistic effort but I was pleased with it, great aircraft in beautiful weather.

Image0C6A7293 by Phil Roberts, on Flickr
Blood, Tears and Folly

stuart n

Post by stuart n »

Not my best but this was my favourite airshow photo from last year, captures the magic of Old Warden:

Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines by stu norris, on Flickr

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Outstanding stuff posted, everyone. Really enjoy looking at the diverse stuff on offer. :clap:

I feel like 2017 was (for me) a bounce-back after a pretty, I don't know, "unsettled" for want of a better word, season in 2016, be it weather, or CAA-related or whatever else.

This is easily my favourite of the year. I know I'm wheeling it out at every opportunity at the moment, but it's emblematic of the amazing display, a gorgeous machine, and just generally a really really good day at Yeovilton. It's just one of those images I enjoy sitting back and just looking at (I know #humblebrag). Photographically a pure fluke, and very little skill involved over chance, buuuuuuut I'll take it. :grin:

ImageSuperBlue by Tom Jones, on Flickr

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

Can't say I had too many outings in 2017.

One from RIAT:

ImageF-15 departure by Gaz Ewart, on Flickr

Tonka 617

Post by Tonka 617 »

From the start of 2017 came my favourite of the year. First outting up to Scampton to catch the Reds winter training, under some stunning blue skies and great winter light.

ImageRed Arrows Winter Training by Michael Hallam, on Flickr

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

Best Tornado graphic treatment ever ?..............discuss :smile:

Image_DSC2853 by plfoto.co.uk, on Flickr

PhilEAF92

Post by PhilEAF92 »

dcm737

Post by dcm737 »

Hello

For me this one taken in the RIAT 2017 (Friday) with the mighty B52 as one of the concentrators of attention. So many people around and under it, the aircraft looks like an all protecting mother bird. Manufactured in 1960 (this specific example) when many of the participants were not even born... and planned to fly until 2040 the B52 is a symbol of defence and protection. The picture for me is one symbol of why aviation is so great and attracts a specific kind of passion.
Thanks
Dragos

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Had trouble picking just one but realistically it had to be this one from my flight over AMARG, something I never thought I'd get to do.
ImageIMG_2657 by Wes Howes, on Flickr

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Out of the many I took last year, I liked this one. Taken at Southport in September, it was my first dusk/night show and without any real idea of what settings were best, I blasted away. This ended up at ISO800, F/8 at 1/800sec at 600mm.

ImageDSC_1587_edit by dereknferguson, on Flickr

SWATCO

Post by SWATCO »

Well for me its this shot of the SU-27 at RIAT on the Sunday. A week of pure enjoyment that I don't think I appreciated enough at the time. Having nearly given up for the day with the weather, I willed myself to stay to see the Flanker, and I am so glad that I did. One of my all time favourite aviation moments I have experienced, and one that I am incredibly pleased that I got some decent photos of it.

ImageFlanker topside_ by Stu Weston, on Flickr

shaggy101

Post by shaggy101 »

For me it's probably this B-2A launching right at the start of the Andrews AFB air show. Shame the light wasn't brilliant but I guess you can't have it all

ImageUSAF B-2A Spirit by Dan Reeves, on Flickr
Dan,

MTPhoto

Post by MTPhoto »

I know that this particular aircraft has already come up but it is by far my favorite photo of the year.
As the heavens opened and everyone ran, I almost lost hope to capture the very aircraft that I had been waiting all day for. But wow, the rain stopped and the sun came out, just in time. The dark clouds make the Su-27 pop with the sunlight shining on it.
ImageUkrainian Air Force - Sukhoi Su-27 'Flanker' by Michael Turner, on Flickr
Michael
https://www.facebook.com/michaelturnerphoto
Nikon D700/D300s/V1
Nikon 17-55mm
Sigma 150-600mm

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

I've always loved the EAP since seeing it at Farnborough as a teenager, so I was really pleased when it was announced that it would be out for the static display at Cosford and it was my main reason for attending. On the day much patience and several visits to the far end of the airfield were required to get a shot of it in some nice light. It felt like quite a mission so I was really pleased to come away with this shot.
ImageBAe EAP by Paul Smith, on Flickr

Slinger65

Post by Slinger65 »

2017 proved a tough year for wildfires in Croatia. While out and about on a breezy summer's day, we saw another fire brewing up in the hills and not long after were treated to quite some display of airmanship as this water bomber did several circuits picking up water from a choppy sea, hauling itself up into the hills and back again. Not much margin for error here...

Slinger65

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000

197cup

Post by 197cup »

Maccyd

Post by Maccyd »

I was going to post the Phantom departing Fairford as I can't recall the last time I saw one flying. However I prefer this image, great display too!
ImageMidnight Hawks 2 by Brian Macdonald, on Flickr

r.e.hendriks

Post by r.e.hendriks »

Some great shots here guys....

The Phantom night shot on page one is really cracking!! And the close up Apache wall of fire shot....WOW!!!

I had lots of highlights this year, but have to pick just one, just like everyone else.
So I also pick a shot of the Apache display team, as this really made my day at the RIAT.

Best regards Rob
FLY-BY.NL MILITARY AVIATION PHOTOGRAPHY
http://www.fly-by.nl

johnr

Post by johnr »

One of those 'flukey' shots. Two of the Edwardians in the same piece of bright blue sky during the Military Pageant.

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

An awful picture but a brilliant memory Biggin Hill arrivals day ,after the spending the afternoon enduring weather that wouldn't have been out
of place in March ( hailstones )and the uncertainty of their appearance, to see the pair of Czech Air Force helicopters arriving in the late afternoon gloom was worth all the discomfort
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

scudpilot

Post by scudpilot »

"Negative. the pattern is full"
ImageSu27 take off Riat 2018 by Jim Pritchard, on Flickr