Headcorn Battle of Britain airshow

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
grant_w

Re: Headcorn Battle of Britain airshow

Post by grant_w »

Just got back, pretty poor content, although I knew what was going to be there in advance. What displayed did it well and close.
Display consisted of 2 Harvards, 2 Spitfires, Devon and Spitfire, 4 Stampes and 2 Tiger Moths.
BBMF departed and couldn't come back due to crosswind, although it didn't seem windy at all. Scout did a photo shoot at about 1000ft behind the crowd.
Commentary was annoying, repetitive and acted like it was the best show in the world.

For £9 it was OK, but normal weekends at Headcorn are busier, albeit without the spitfires displaying

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Happy with the decision to give this one a miss. List wasn't enough to warrant the journey, regardless how nice a venue it is, and it sounds as if the areas that could have been improved upon in 2015 were not.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

If I had traveled any distance to get there or paid more than £9 then I would have been disappointed. However it's my local, it was sunny and I didn't have anything better to do so took the opportunity to get some photos in decent light

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Not a bad day, but it could have been much better. Very annoying clueless commentary, no information on the star item (ME109), regarding to it not flying, or in fact taxiing, as it did yesterday, and having it parked out of the way for VIP area members only to take a peek.
Westland Scout a rarity for me to see these days, all the way from Middle Wallop, to simply be parked out of view, most of the time, used to take some aerial photo's, then on it's departure, flew straight out and away, no flypast. The weirdest quirk of the day being the BBMF fighters departing, due back later to display and refuel, yet they elected to not return, and go home via Rochester instead, due to "Cross-Winds" There was barely a breeze, and yet "Parky" himself a BBMF pilot, took off and landed 4 times during the day in a Spitfire.
Very hot, but lovely blue skies, and a few cracking display's, albeit at very staggered intervals.
School Report for Headcorn........ Must try harder.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

BBMF did the same in 2015. Arrived in four aircraft ahead of their display slot, but only the two Hurricanes flew as the "crosswind" was out of limits for their Spitfires. "Parky" displayed TD314 later that day whilst the Flight's aircraft remained firmly grounded for the duration.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

BDL

Post by BDL »

Whilst we are all clued up on Airshows and, it seems, those of us that did attend were disappointed with the lack of communication and non appearance of certain items the general public, bless them, appear to have enjoyed the show.

A host of 'soooooo amazin' posts on Facebook shows the majority were blissfully unaware, looks like the organisers have probably gotten away with it unfortunately.

It could have been so so much better though and it should have as well.

DangerM

Post by DangerM »

BDL wrote:A host of 'soooooo amazin' posts on Facebook shows the majority were blissfully unaware, looks like the organisers have probably gotten away with it unfortunately.

I'm not so sure, earlier this morning there was a lot of complaints on Aero Legends FB page but they have been removed, shame really that they can't leave up the bad with the good and learn from it. On the Headcorn Aerodrome and Headcorn Special Events FB pages there are still a lot of complaints such as,

'Poor. Advertised as Battle of Britain event but very little atmosphere. It was so boring we went home early. Lots of others left by 3pm too. Do I really want to pay a lot of money to see descending parachutists? zzzzz
Rubbish food. £1.50 for an ice lolly that costs 10p in Lidl. £2.50 for tiny ice cream cone. Disgusting frozen chips £2.50. No commentary. No itinerary. No information. Toilets out of order. Twenty minutes of seeing some Spitfires was good but we could have sat in the car park with a picnic for free.

You need to get your act together Headcorn. '

'Agreed. Super disappointed in today's show. Came here in 2015 and it was amazing. Today was the worst airshow I've ever been to. No airfield attack scene or ME109 as advertised...and the commentator couldnt tell the difference between a Spitfire and a Hurricane. I wont be back. To anyone thinking of going tomorrow seriously think about doing something less boring instead'

'very disappointed about today no bbmf they left at 12 never to return no me109 only the aero legends planes and hardly any loos and not many trade stands all fun fair waste of money some one next to us left at 2pm saying rubbish 2015 was a lot better'

I went to the 2015 event and was very impressed with the flying display, I had considered going to this one but when I enquired I learnt that the display was going to be organised by the Headcorn Combined Ops team. I had attended the Combined Ops show last year with the promise of Catalina, B25 and multiple other displays that turned into visiting aircraft for another show and had never been planned to display at Headcorn plus a flypast or two. I decided to give this one a miss and go to Flying Legends instead. I'm so glad I did as this show looks like it was over egged from the beginning, as I understand it the pyrotechnics, airfield attack scenario and ME109 didn't happen. Aero Legends now claim on their FB page that the ME109 couldn't fly because 'there is an incompatibility between the German and UK permit to fly systems'. This hasn't stopped German registered aircraft displaying in the UK in the past, notably the MaxAlpha Spitfire, P51 and Corsair, I think the Hangar 10 Buchon has also been to Flying Legends in the past?

Robin

Post by Robin »

As I reported earlier, yesterday I was on parade at the annual Memorial Day Parade and Service at the Battle of Britain Memorial at Capel le Ferne on the cliff top overlooking Folkestone. At 13.30 as the Parade Commander gave the order "General Salute Present Arms", the Spitfire and Hurricane from the BBMF roared over the Memorial, giving their own Salute to the large crowd gathered there, who included Wing Commander Paul Farnes DFM, one of the last remaining members of "The Few", and the Chief of The Air Staff, a fantastic tribute. Later in the afternoon, the aircraft returned to give a full display in the sky's above the cliff top setting where the 'Battle' which commenced 77 years ago today, was fought and won. Robin.
Per Ardua ad Astra

BDL

Post by BDL »

Well its back again, and so is the Groupon offer:

https://www.groupon.co.uk/biz/ashford/headcorn-events

30th June and 1st July - Despite my better judgement I'm probably going to go again as its local'ish.

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

In spite of the somewhat sparse content I enjoyed this last year ,so ticket bought :smile:
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place