A Wetish Walkabout In London ~ 27Jan18

Photos that are not aviation related
Pen Pusher

A Wetish Walkabout In London ~ 27Jan18

Post by Pen Pusher »

After all the night shoots around London I thought it was about time I did a day shoot and rather than wait for blue sky and sunshine, which is preferable, I’d give it a go when it was cloudy and raining and see what I could come up with. On Saturday the weather gods duly obliged with wall to wall cloud although the rain, which fortunately was light and not a heavy downpour, did arrive slightly later than advertised. I had a wander south of the river one or two streets back from the Thames to see if there was anything interesting to pick up along the way and then up to King’s Cross, not the station, and into St Pancras station.

A Greek Doric style portico fronting 57 Stamford Street was once the entrance to the Unitarian Chapel that was built in 1821. The Portico of the Unitarian Chapel was Grade II listed in March 1950 and the Chapel itself was demolished in 1964. The Portico is now the entrance to the modern flats behind.

At the entrance to the Mondrian Hotel in the Sea Containers Building is a sculpture of an anchor chain against a representation of a copper bottomed hull, as used on the Cutty Sark transatlantic sailing ship, that continues into the hotel lobby.

76-80 Southwark Street dates from 2001 and is a renovation of 3 buildings with the upper floors canting out over Southwark Street.

The Menier Chocolate Factory was once a factory making chocolate set up by the French Menier Chocolate Company when they expanded their business overseas and opened in 1874. The building was Grade II Listed in 1996 and the Chocolate Factory is now the home of a 180-seat Theatre.

After 5 years of major redevelopment work, London Bridge Station has emerged from its cocoon of scaffolding and the old pedestrian walkway linking the underground station with the new concourse of London Bridge railway station has been given a makeover with a new vaulted ceiling.

View looking, in the rain that finally arrived, from More London Riverside towards Tower Bridge with City Hall in the foreground.

‘Word on the Water’ floating Library moored at Regent’s Canal Towpath, King’s Cross.

Just a stone’s throw to the north of King’s Cross and St Pancras railway station's, York Road is a disused underground station that opened in 1906 on the then Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway (GNP&BR) which later became the Piccadilly line. Due to its location it had very few commuters stopping off at it and in 1932 was permanently closed due to lack of use.

Selfie in the rain in one of Gasholder No. 8’s many polished stainless steel uprights supporting the circular canopy over the footpath.

A very small part of Google’s massive 11-storey London headquarters at 6 Pancras Square, King’s Cross.

A view from inside St Pancras International across Pancras Road to King’s Cross railway station.

The Dent clock, a reproduction of the original which was dropped and smashed when being taken down in the 1970’s, hangs from the framework of the south elevation of St Pancras station.

Beneath the Dent clock is the 9m tall bronze statue of a sculpture by Paul Day known as ‘The Lovers’.

View looking north of part of the 100ft high, 240ft wide and 700ft long wrought iron canopy which was the largest single spanned roof in the world when the station opened in 1868.

Opened in 1852, King’s Cross railway station frontage was restored in 2014 after the removal of the 1972 extension.

And as it was getting dark and I wasn't doing a night shoot, I got the next train back to Cambridge.

Sony RX1R II - Hand held, manual settings, uncompressed RAW.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

wv383

Re: A Wetish Walkabout In London ~ 27Jan18

Post by wv383 »

Excellent Brian. Some lovely angles and unusual places.
Simon

AlexC

Re: A Wetish Walkabout In London ~ 27Jan18

Post by AlexC »

That sculpture at St Pancras looks amazing, so big! Will have to try to see it next time I'm up that way.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP