RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by jalfrezi »

AARDVARK wrote:GWD to be expected but display ,IMHO,is lost at such a large event and aircraft would be better suited on static...
It’s a shame Cosford has been slated for a round up of static RAF 100 airframes as RIAT organisers could have put on an excellent display as they did for the flight
100 show,Cosford is small ,cramped and best visited outside airshow events !

Whilst you are of course entitled to your opinion, I'm going to have to disagree with you on a number of points:

I would say the GWDT is less lost at a large event than say a solitary helicopter display, due to the number of aircraft in the air at once - 7 or more aircraft fill a lot more sky than one helicopter for example.

Nothing wrong with Cosford for static airframes, granted it's not the best for flying displays due to some limitations such as crowd orientation, runway length, etc, but for statics it's fine. I took some nice shots of the statics at last years Cosford show with far less background clutter than you usually get at RIAT, and certainly less brightly coloured cones! I guess it helps that the museum is already there, and also the RAF units, so they have access to plenty of RAF airframes already. I guess it's also easier to get other airframes moved there ahead of the show (i.e. Black Mike, Bucc, and Lightning), not sure how easy that would be at Fairford, would they be allowed to take up valuable hangar space prior to a show at an active airfield?

I'm sure RIAT have something special up their sleeves....

Berf

Post by Berf »

Wonder if the display line will be 150m from the crowd line for GWDT.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Berf wrote:Wonder if the display line will be 150m from the crowd line for GWDT.

I guess that depends on whether the MAA allow special exemptions like the CAA? Possibly not...

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Their website says they've been cleared to 75m by the CAA, so we can but hope.
Wonder if that still applies if they do their pyro display ( and will they do that at RIAT ) ?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Would much rather see them close up on static!

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Airshowhammer wrote:Would much rather see them close up on static!

I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the general area of the Vintage Village but I guess they might be hangared if it's blustery!

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

G-CVIX wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:Would much rather see them close up on static!

I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the general area of the Vintage Village but I guess they might be hangared if it's blustery!
I wouldn't be surprised if there will be a tent put up next to the spot where the team is located to put them in during not so good weather and the nights, a bit like the gliders had a few years ago. This could very well be in the Vintage Village area, as long as it is possible to move out for their display. (Oops, did I type weather??? How dare I!)
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Brevet Cable wrote:Their website says they've been cleared to 75m by the CAA, so we can but hope.
Wonder if that still applies if they do their pyro display ( and will they do that at RIAT ) ?

According to the announcement on FB they will be using pyros.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Good-oh ! :up:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

The Canadian CF18 demo aircraft will be wearing a new scheme at this year's show

https://www.skiesmag.com/news/cf-18-dem ... orad-2018/

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

parsley wrote:The Canadian CF18 demo aircraft will be wearing a new scheme at this year's show

Excellent news, though shame about the Titanic. :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

capercaillie wrote:
parsley wrote:The Canadian CF18 demo aircraft will be wearing a new scheme at this year's show

:rofl:

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Could have at least linked to the pictures with the red and black painted travel pod on it to symbolize the santa watch program that they do every year.

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

capercaillie wrote:

Not forgetting the Swedish Historic Flight are attending too of course :roll:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Ja :-P
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

capercaillie wrote:

Apologies...didn't have time to work my way back through all the past pages at work....had an airline to run

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

Ukrainian SU-27 confirmed for Danish Air Show... fingers crossed for RIAT too!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

parsley wrote:
capercaillie wrote:

Apologies...didn't have time to work my way back through all the past pages at work....had an airline to run

Hope the flights are more punctual ;-)

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

The USAF ACC Aerial Events Facebook Page have stated that they are adding more shows to ALL of this years demo’s. Could we see RIAT added to any?
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

CJS

Post by CJS »

Well given that they aren't currently on there I suppose the answer to your question has to be yes. :-P
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

I'd be somewhat disappointed if there is no, or limited USAF support considering the "special relationship" that exists between the UK and US.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

verreli

Post by verreli »

The Baron wrote:I'd be somewhat disappointed if there is no, or limited USAF support considering the "special relationship" that exists between the UK and US.

Last year was pretty special. Just because you have a special relationship doesn't mean you have an obligation. Having said that, the USA participation is always a highlight. Somehow, I think this year will be a classic that will be remembered for many years. I'm sure the USA will be represented.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

CJS wrote:Well given that they aren't currently on there I suppose the answer to your question has to be yes. :-P

The heritage flight including the F-35A heritage flights are yet to announce their schedule.
IF we saw anything this year I think it will be them.

It’s kind of sad on Facebook that when a USAF account posts the news they were going to be announcing amended schedules a large proportion of the comments were from Brits saying it has to be RIAT... no it doesn’t and stop being so arrogant.

I do like however that some Americans have replied saying the USAF should stop attending British shows with flying fast jet assets as the RAF never send the Typhoon display to US shows.
To be honest they have a point, more often than not there are Typhoons in the US and they appear regularly on static (especially at Nellis) - it is technically easier for us to send the Display Pilot to the US and borrow a jet out there then it is for the US to deploy assets specifically for a show!

Don’t get me wrong I’d be as pleased as the next person to see a USAF flying asset at the show however I’m under no impression that we deserve or should expect it every year.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Agree with that, but it’s not just a US issue. Arguably a significant percentage of any foreign commitment at RIAT, and other UK shows, is seldom reciprocated by the RAF.

We are woefully, embarrassingly, inadequate at returning support to European, US and other airshows from around the world. That may be for several different reasons; significant cuts in the amount of assets the RAF have on show (or just have at all!), a huge number of UK events over the summer all demanding RAF participation of some form or other, or just lack of willpower in the higher echelons.

Which is why, to me, it’s ok to speculate on things like August 1st, because of the Red Arrows tour, but such attendance should never be expected. Same with the US. The “special relationship” is a fair point, but relationships go two ways, and at the moment we’re the pretty non-committed partner.

I would love to see the US get to see a flying demonstration from the RAF at a couple of airshows over there. Did we support them with a flying display for their birthday bash last year? I can’t remember that we did, so why should we expect one for ours?

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

verreli wrote:I'm sure the USA will be represented.
Unless there is another government shutdown on the Western coast of the Atlantic Ocean during the RIAT period.
boff180 wrote:more often than not there are Typhoons in the US and they appear regularly on static (especially at Nellis) - it is technically easier for us to send the Display Pilot to the US and borrow a jet out there then it is for the US to deploy assets specifically for a show!
If possible, it is what happens when the americans fly a demo in Europe. The only ones I can think of that don't are the Raptor and the Thunderbirds. All others I've seen used aircraft based at Spangdahlem or Lakenheath. And I'm sure if there were enough Raptors to also base them in Europe, the USAF wouldn't send aircraft over the ocean, but fly something in from a european base.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program