South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum

Post by jalfrezi »

Had the chance to visit this small museum a few years back and was very impressed with some of the exhibits on display, it's definitely worth a visit if you're in the area.

First up the Whirlwind HAR1, this example was built in 1954 and served with the Royal Navy. It's powered by a Pratt and Whitney Wasp rather than the Bristol Siddeley Gnome which powered the later variants.
ImageWestland Whirlwind HAR1 - 5 by Nick Jennings, on Flickr

One of a number of later variant Whirlwinds at SYAM, this HAR10 was built for the RAF in 1962 before crash landing on Snowdonia, it was then repaired and served with the UN detachment in Cyprus.
ImageWestland Whirlwind HAR10 - 1 by Nick Jennings, on Flickr

Ex Argentine Navy MB-339 captured at Port Stanley. This is apparently a composite of two different airframes and used to be on display at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.
ImageAermacchi MB-339A - 1 by Nick Jennings, on Flickr

Another Falklands veteran is this restored Gazelle AH1. It was shot down and crash landed in the waters at San Carlos, unfortunately the pilot died of his wounds. It was later returned to the UK and used as an instructional airframe before being restored.
ImageWestland SA.341B Gazelle AH1 - 1 by Nick Jennings, on Flickr

XW666 - unlucky number. This Nimrod R1 suffered an inflight fire during a post servicing flight and the pilot was forced to ditch in the Moray Firth.
ImageHawker Siddeley Nimrod R1 - 2 by Nick Jennings, on Flickr

This is an Austin Whippet replica. Five were originally built just after the first world war, but there are no known survivors.
ImageAustin Whippet - 2 by Nick Jennings, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, the rest of the set is here - https://flic.kr/s/aHskvxZb9C

wallace

Re: South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum

Post by wallace »

Any more pictures?
It's one of my favourite museums, it's collection may be cramped and cluttered in places but they do a lot with what they got.

I think they have a Dove from Sunderland now.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Re: South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum

Post by jalfrezi »

wallace wrote:Any more pictures?
It's one of my favourite museums, it's collection may be cramped and cluttered in places but they do a lot with what they got.

I think they have a Dove from Sunderland now.

You're right, it is very cramped and it's tricky to get full shots without a wide angle lens. I visited in 2014 and I'm sure it's changed somewhat, some exhibits weren't on display when I was there.

Yes, there are more pics in my Flickr album - https://flic.kr/s/aHskvxZb9C