Wheres Dan O

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
rob68

Wheres Dan O

Post by rob68 »

Anyone else notice no sign of Dan O' since mid January, is he on holiday? ;)

CJS

Re: Wheres Dan O

Post by CJS »

I don't imagine the whereabouts of any given UKAR member is really any of our business is it? What an odd thread...
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

rob68

Post by rob68 »

just noticed he wasn't on here that is all, nothing odd meant as he is/was a regular

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

CJS wrote:any given UKAR member....

he is so much more than that

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

I’m sure he’ll pipe up the second the Reds/Typhoon/BBMF do anything wrong.....
Nikon D500

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Probably too busy with football related journalism to pay us a visit.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFqfglY45kY[/youtube]
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

How nice of you to miss me.

Nothing sinister, just extremely busy and utterly bored with the state of the hobby and of UKAR. Modern military bores the hell out of me, the photographic and discussion standards have never been lower and the hottest subject in Off Topic is "who's died lately?"

The place needs a major reboot to remain interesting and relevant in the face of Twitter and Facebook, I thought that much was obvious? Other regular posters I speak to feel the same.

Perhaps when the proper aeroplanes are out of their winter hibernation, and airshows regain their sanity once a decisive outcome is reached over Shoreham I might get the mojo back.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:The place needs a major reboot to remain interesting and relevant in the face of Twitter and Facebook, I thought that much was obvious? Other regular posters I speak to feel the same.

Hi Dan. I'm in no way trying to disagree or anything, but I am curious as to what Twitter and Facebook do that makes them relevant and interesting, particularly in relevance the UK's airshow scene (or what's left of it).

Someone else complained recently about the photography standards on here nowadays, so I assume all the talented photographers only display their work on Facebook and Twitter now? I suppose that they get a lot more people looking at their images on those platforms, but presumably they also get a lot more Daily Mail comments section-esque thoughts typed below them.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

I'm not sure social media is in any way a UKAR replacement for quality photography, don't get me wrong there are some good shots but also a huge amount of chaff, a fair amount of which generates a lot of back slapping among their fellow clique.

I don't think social media is a great forum for discussion either - certainly not for aviation, as it's primarily used in a self promoting manner - i.e. 'look at me, praise me!' Don't get me wrong it's a good source of news, I just don't see it as a replacement for UKAR or FC for serious discussion.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong..... :joystick:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:How nice of you to miss me.

Nothing sinister, just extremely busy and utterly bored with the state of the hobby and of UKAR. Modern military bores the hell out of me, the photographic and discussion standards have never been lower and the hottest subject in Off Topic is "who's died lately?"

The place needs a major reboot to remain interesting and relevant in the face of Twitter and Facebook, I thought that much was obvious? Other regular posters I speak to feel the same.

Perhaps when the proper aeroplanes are out of their winter hibernation, and airshows regain their sanity once a decisive outcome is reached over Shoreham I might get the mojo back.

I do wish you wouldn't sit on the fence Dan. Tell it like it is sometimes :-P

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

I've noticed a lack of photographic content on the forums, particularly in relation to Low Level. Going by the lack of LL pics posted, you'd think there was little going on, but I've heard of multiple F15 passes through the loop, stuff happening in the lakes, that has never appeared on internet forums, but is on faceache. I'm not on there, and I suppose a few others aren't as well, so it is a pity were not seeing these images.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

toom317 wrote:I've noticed a lack of photographic content on the forums, particularly in relation to Low Level. Going by the lack of LL pics posted, you'd think there was little going on, but I've heard of multiple F-15 passes through the loop, stuff happening in the lakes, that has never appeared on internet forums, but is on faceache. I'm not on there, and I suppose a few others aren't as well, so it is a pity were not seeing these images.

Its so easy to take a picture and have it on facebook instantly, a lot of hassle to get a pic on here compared.

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

vulcan558 wrote:
toom317 wrote:I've noticed a lack of photographic content on the forums, particularly in relation to Low Level. Going by the lack of LL pics posted, you'd think there was little going on, but I've heard of multiple F-15 passes through the loop, stuff happening in the lakes, that has never appeared on internet forums, but is on faceache. I'm not on there, and I suppose a few others aren't as well, so it is a pity were not seeing these images.

Its so easy to take a picture and have it on facebook instantly, a lot of hassle to get a pic on here compared.

Don't know the mechanics of uploading a pic to faceache, but can't really see it being all that different. But with faceache I believe you would have to subscribe to numerous individual accounts to get to see the pics(?) whereas on an internet forum they are all there to see.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

Albion143

Post by Albion143 »

vulcan558 wrote:

Got to say this is the reason I have very seldom posted pictures onto the forum as it seems you have to have other accounts to get your pictures on here. At least Faceache and Twitter you can just upload very easily. Think if this was changed you would see a lot more pictures added.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

It would also cost an arm and a leg. Facebook and Twitter are multi-million dollar businesses, not private forums run on a shoe-string budget.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

rob68

Post by rob68 »

There is a donate tab at the top of the page, I never have, has anyone else?

CJS

Post by CJS »

I would hazard a guess that most people wouldn't choose to discuss their charitable giving in an online forum (I know UKAR isn't a charity) but at least some of those who have are listed as 'UKAR supporters' under their username.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Hugely disappointed that this Topic was only a 'missing person' issue! I had expected it to be like "Where's Wally" with the excitement of finding Dan O amongst zillions of other characters?
Then again, some may allege similarities... :whistle:

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Albion143 wrote:
vulcan558 wrote:Its so easy to take a picture and have it on facebook instantly, a lot of hassle to get a pic on here compared.

At least Faceache and Twitter you can just upload very easily. Think if this was changed you would see a lot more pictures added.

I don't think this would work - you would sacrifice focused quality for quantity. In addition, some thought before you post can only be a good thing.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

ted633 wrote:Probably too busy with football related journalism to pay us a visit.
Is it a coincidence in this weekend with far less football than normal, he has been posting in a number of places you should expect him to read (RIAT forum, XH558)?
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

aviodromefriend wrote:
ted633 wrote:Probably too busy with football related journalism to pay us a visit.
Is it a coincidence in this weekend with far less football than normal, he has been posting in a number of places you should expect him to read (RIAT forum, XH558)?

First day off since last weekend, if you must know.

I fail to see why my presence on this forum is of such interest?

Tangoringo

Post by Tangoringo »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
aviodromefriend wrote:

First day off since last weekend, if you must know.

I fail to see why my presence on this forum is of such interest?

Likewise. :question:

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

vulcan558 wrote:Its so easy to take a picture and have it on facebook instantly, a lot of hassle to get a pic on here compared.

That's true, but most of them (the vast majority I'd say) are mobile photo shots (and mostly insufferable 'selfies' to boot) and therefore generally of poor quality.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Locking this pointless nonsense.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016