SpaceX Falcon Heavy Launch - Live Stream

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Tommy
UKAR Staff

SpaceX Falcon Heavy Launch - Live Stream

Post by Tommy »

"The largest rocket in the world" is just preparing to launch.

Live stream here:

https://twitter.com/i/events/960617723167297537

XP282

Re: SpaceX Falcon Heavy Launch - Live Stream

Post by XP282 »

It was incredible... the way those boosters landed... it almost looked fake!

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

A very impressive achievement but still no news on whether the core survived but even if it didn’t they accomplished a lot for a maiden flight.

Marathon Milkshake

Post by Marathon Milkshake »

Space travel just changed forever, makes NASA look like a real bunch of amatures!
Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter

Marathon Milkshake

Andyperkins wrote:A very impressive achievement but still no news on whether the core survived but even if it didn’t they accomplished a lot for a maiden flight.

It landed safely, theres a vid on SpaceX facebook https://www.facebook.com/SpaceX/videos/ ... 010400131/

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

Marathon Milkshake wrote:Space travel just changed forever, makes NASA look like a real bunch of amatures!

Yeah, what’s NASA ever achieved in the field of Space Travel?

Marathon Milkshake

Tomahawk wrote:
Marathon Milkshake wrote:Space travel just changed forever, makes NASA look like a real bunch of amatures!

Not a whole lot recently or anytime soon

https://www.nasa.gov/news/releases/latest/index.html

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

Marathon Milkshake wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

"SpaceX has only come this far by building upon the incredible achievements of NASA, having NASA as an anchor tenant for launch, and receiving expert advice and mentorship throughout the development process." that was Elon Musk talking about building the Falcon 9, without which there would be no Falcon Heavy. NASA continue to work with SpaceX and course the Falcon Heavy launch took place at the Kennedy Space Centre, a NASA facility.

SpaceX have done incredible things but NASA are still very much part of the story.

Cole

Post by Cole »

Andyperkins wrote:A very impressive achievement but still no news on whether the core survived but even if it didn’t they accomplished a lot for a maiden flight.

It landed safely, theres a vid on SpaceX facebook https://www.facebook.com/SpaceX/videos/ ... 010400131/

Thats from 2 years ago :wall: :up:
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

This is printed on a circuit board that’s in a car, that’s now been put into orbit. Incredible. :clap: :clap:

[instagram]https://www.instagram.com/p/Be31IJxgOoK/[/instagram]

And, man alive, tell me this isn’t one of the most amazing things you’ve ever seen humans accomplish:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5I8jaMsHYk[/youtube]

I’m in awe. Seriously. Incredible stuff.

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Looked fantastic. Amazing what you can do with Russian know how, and western know how.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

So 'The Stig' could be the first man on Mars then :whistle:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Marathon Milkshake

Tomahawk wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

"SpaceX has only come this far by building upon the incredible achievements of NASA, having NASA as an anchor tenant for launch, and receiving expert advice and mentorship throughout the development process." that was Elon Musk talking about building the Falcon 9, without which there would be no Falcon Heavy. NASA continue to work with SpaceX and course the Falcon Heavy launch took place at the Kennedy Space Centre, a NASA facility.

SpaceX have done incredible things but NASA are still very much part of the story.

ColeTheDemolisher wrote:

Thats from 2 years ago :wall: :up:

Okay damn, I give in, but heres the thing, my interest in all things spacey stopped a long time ago, perhaps after leaving school 30 odd years ago, that is until last night. Watching that rocket last night was amazing, best and most exciting thing I've watched for ages, it was litteraly like watching the first Space Shuttle launch all over again. Just a huge huge rush of excitement. Those boosters landing......unbeliveable. Sure my comments are wrong and a video I thought was new wasnt. Ignorence is not always bliss and its good to be corrected. Thank you both.

:surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Blimey, Never heard of this before today but that Landing was amazing.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

The Douglas Adams quote on the dash is a nice touch but, but with Musk being a massive Bond fanatic:

"Take me 'round the world one more time."

would have been nice?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

I'm not easily impressed, but that landing was something else! :clap: :rock:

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

That televised fake landing of the Falcon Heavy is almost as impressive as the televised fake moon landing :ninja: :grin: :wink:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Airwolfhound wrote:That televised fake landing of the Falcon Heavy is almost as impressive as the televised fake moon landing :ninja: :grin: :wink:

Pffft, next you'll be telling us the Earth isn't flat... :dizzy:

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

I knew they were sending up the car but didn't expect the cone to open up and for it to just be sitting out there like that, watching it slowly turn and the Earth to start to appear, incredible sight.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Airwolfhound wrote:That televised fake landing of the Falcon Heavy is almost as impressive as the televised fake moon landing :ninja: :grin: :wink:

Indeed, the most amazing thing about the "Moon Landing" is that CGI wasn't around in those days!
Fortunately for us, the 'smoke & mirrors' part of it was ably demonstrated in the acclaimed feature film Capricorn One directed by Peter Hyams :wink:
That Falcon Heavy tripe is surely Game footage? :facepalm:

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Hope they book this exotic metal for RIAT.

1 landing each end of the runway with the main one opposite FRIAT could be really good. :grin:
Got to love Russianhardware

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Andyperkins wrote:I knew they were sending up the car but didn't expect the cone to open up and for it to just be sitting out there like that, watching it slowly turn and the Earth to start to appear, incredible sight.

So more junk in space, mess up the Earth, now do the same to space, what's next, "Well, there's no need for that" up the moon, or Mars? :sad: :sad: :sad:

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

RAF4EVER wrote:
Andyperkins wrote:I knew they were sending up the car but didn't expect the cone to open up and for it to just be sitting out there like that, watching it slowly turn and the Earth to start to appear, incredible sight.

So more junk in space, mess up the Earth, now do the same to space, what's next, "Well, there's no need for that" up the moon, or Mars? :sad: :sad: :sad:

It was a test payload. To see if the Falcon Heavy can put a payload into an orbit around the sun, I tried to google the theory behind the orbit pattern, but you need to be a rocket scientist to understand the blurb behind it.

I'm sure the depths and space of well space is so vast that we mere humans are but the tiniest tiniest dot on the horizon, I doubt a few man made space probes will even touch the depths of space. All we are doing is making it harder to exit away from the earth, some people (NASA) would call that a challenge.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Ewart wrote:
RAF4EVER wrote:

It was a test payload. To see if the Falcon Heavy can put a payload into an orbit around the sun, I tried to google the theory behind the orbit pattern, but you need to be a rocket scientist to understand the blurb behind it.

I'm sure the depths and space of well space is so vast that we mere humans are but the tiniest tiniest dot on the horizon, I doubt a few man made space probes will even touch the depths of space. All we are doing is making it harder to exit away from the earth, some people (NASA) would call that a challenge.

The principle is noble enough, but I think the benefits outweigh the costs on this one.

Whether it's correct or not, think of the amount of children who are inspired that our species has sent a red sports car into space, with a spaceman in the driver's seat. Sometimes, it's ok to be cool. And this is very cool.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

I wish a had a refuse bin in my kitchen the size of the universe. The fact that some are worried about sending a car out towards Mars shows how hypersensitive we have become re green issues and the lack of context being used. One discarded fag butt would represent a larger issue re the percentage of waste in relation to its location (ie Earth) but its Musk who is portrayed as the bad guy.

"if you want to make an omelette"
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”