RIAT "Glamping"

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Brevet Cable

Re: RIAT "Glamping"

Post by Brevet Cable »

Be interesting to see if they decide to enforce that rule this year, or if it'll be one of those rules that they only pay lip-service to ( like some rules at other campsites )
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

CJS

Post by CJS »

One way of enforcing it would be to not leave enough space between tents. Hopefully they don't choose that option!
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

CJS wrote:One way of enforcing it would be to not leave enough space between tents. Hopefully they don't choose that option!

Last year was essentially ‘there’s the field pitch where you want’ nothing was pre marked.
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert »

I asked about the car issue in October and that answer was..

Hi Rob

The cars will need to parked in the carpark and your stuff walked over to your spot. We'll have a number of barrows available to help with your stuff, and our staff will be on hold throughout the event to help too.

Thanks! Team Tangerine

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Domvickery wrote:
CJS wrote:One way of enforcing it would be to not leave enough space between tents. Hopefully they don't choose that option!

Last year was essentially ‘there’s the field pitch where you want’ nothing was pre marked.

Not like Kempsford, then.

Space between tents? They'd be stuffed with people like me....I could fit my car in my tent with room to spare - as some on here could confirm - and it's not exactly a small car ( Avensis estate )....I like my comfort ! :biggrin:
Not to mention the 'tent cities' some people construct ( was it 3 gazebos or 4 ? :wink: ) :lol:
아직도 숨어있다

DrBenR

Post by DrBenR »

Think it was 4 gazebos we had last year!! I can fit my Astra into my orange-topped tunnel tent! Got to the 30's and decided yoga/gymnastics dressing wasn't for me any more!!!

Ben R

mavvymoo

Post by mavvymoo »

Brevet Cable wrote:From the website :
Tangerine Fields have our own car park in the front section of our campsite. You need to purchase one of our car park passes from the Accessories section. Cars are not permitted to park next to tents.

Although from Dom's post last year :
the rule of not parking your car next to your tent is a silly one and needs to be done away with (most ignored it anyway)

Seems a bit of a pointless rule, then :lol:

Tangerine Fields set up like this - hence no space for cars alongside, but I guess the self-pitching area will be a bit of a free for all.
Famed for appearing to put my foot in it, read my post with the voice of Stewie Griffin if it offended you first time

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Just to clarify, I self pitched last year, I can see with the pre pitched like that why they’ve pht the rule in place

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Unless it's a trick of perspective, they don't exactly give you much room around the pre-pitched, do they! :shock:
아직도 숨어있다

Canuck84

Post by Canuck84 »

Hey fellas, I got a campsite purchased but I was wondering if people can hop on the Swindon shuttle bus to go back to Fairford camping in the evening? I have a friend who wants to camp at RIAT Saturday night but she gets into Swindon in the late afternoon.

Any idea of the best way to get to Fairford from Swindon in the evening? Cab perhaps?

Thanks

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Since the operator was switched from Thamesdown to Stagecoach, there are lots of busses waiting at Fairford for the exit operation. I have to say, I'm not sure if busses that return at Swindon get back to Fairford for a new load of returning people, or that Fairford has enough busses to get everybody back. Officially, the last bus from Swindon leaves at noon, I don't think they will be selling tickets for the busses after that time. (In the afternoon the same people that check/sell tickets are checking tickets at Fairford.) Also you have to show your ticket for the specific day before boarding, and yes, I have seen people being denied access to the busses and/or being removed from the queue because of having tickets for the other day.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Unless I'm misreading your post, am I right in thinking that the bit about catching the shuttle-bus relates to yourself getting back from the showground rather than your friend getting from Swindon to the campsite?
When you say 'Fairford Camping', is that the official RIAT campsite or a different one? ( I lose track of all the different names they use )
If it's the official one, as that's just across the road from the showground entrance why would you need to catch the shuttle bus?
If it's a different campsite, given the number of forum members who'll be attending by car, dare I suggest asking on the forum if some kindly soul would give you a lift?
Alternatively, why not ask DBH - or even the bus company directly - if there's a possibility of getting dropped-off near the campsite?

As for your friend....
I think the biggest problem would be the road closures/restrictions - I may be wrong, but aren't they in place until something like 22:00hrs?
Taxi-wise, being a Saturday & the RIAT weekend I think it's safe to say that they'll charge a rip-off amount for the journey.
아직도 숨어있다

Canuck84

Post by Canuck84 »

Brevet Cable wrote:Unless I'm misreading your post, am I right in thinking that the bit about catching the shuttle-bus relates to yourself getting back from the showground rather than your friend getting from Swindon to the campsite?
When you say 'Fairford Camping', is that the official RIAT campsite or a different one?

aviodromefriend wrote: I have to say, I'm not sure if busses that return at Swindon get back to Fairford for a new load of returning people, or that Fairford has enough busses to get everybody back.

I'm camping in Tangerine Fields this time. The issue is that I'll be at RIAT all day Saturday during the show. She'll have a ticket for the Sunday show but she needs a way to get from Swindon to Tangerine Fields Saturday evening, as she's taking the train from London Saturday afternoon.

Thanks yes, this is my concern. I'm not sure if the busses are on a loop? Or if they simply depart Fairford and stay in Swindon until the next morning. I'll try to get in touch with the bus company I suppose.

Thanks guys I appreciate it! If she has to cab to Fairford for a ludicrous fare then so-be-it I guess. Probably not many other options. The road closures might be the limiting factor.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

A number of the 'closures' aren't actually closures, they also include the one-way system that's in place ( traffic to the showground in the morning & from the showground in the afternoon/evening )
The problem is that until the Council publishes the closure list you won't know what's what, as the route of the one-way system varies & can even change on the actual day.
If you look at this topic from 2016 it may give you some idea : http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=73373&p=731887&hilit=closures#p731720 ( unfortunately the links to the maps no longer work, so you'd have to check on something like google maps to work out where the roads are )
Don't know if you can enter the one-way system from anywhere other than the showground car parks, might be worth checking.
아직도 숨어있다

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Canuck84 wrote:If she has to cab to Fairford for a ludicrous fare then so-be-it I guess. Probably not many other options. The road closures might be the limiting factor.
Maybe check if there are some busstops in the vicinity that get normal busservices. I think Whelford Pope Court might be a no-go, but Google Earth shows a busstop at the petrol station along the A417. It is walkable from there (Yes, I've done it) or else you can get to Lechlade, but that is a longer trip.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Canuck84 wrote:
Thanks guys I appreciate it! If she has to cab to Fairford for a ludicrous fare then so-be-it I guess. Probably not many other options. The road closures might be the limiting factor.

I got a cab from Swindon railway station to Kempsford in 2008 and it was about £26, probably about £40 these days.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

The problem with the buses is that they're not exactly very frequent & they take a long time to get there.

£40 for a taxi is probably about right for a normal Saturday, but not for the RIAT weekend.
I'd find it hard to believe that they wouldn't do the same as taxi companies elsewhere & impose an extra 'loading' on the fare.
Swindon's about 16 miles from Fairford, isn't it? I live about 25 miles from Cardiff & when the Champions League was played there the company I work for were looking at paying for a taxi for me to get to work on the day of the match....a normal fare was about £35-£40, but on that day the taxi companies were looking to charge anywhere from £95 upwards ! :shock:
아직도 숨어있다

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Brevet Cable wrote:The problem with the buses is that they're not exactly very frequent & they take a long time to get there.

£40 for a taxi is probably about right for a normal Saturday, but not for the RIAT weekend.
I'd find it hard to believe that they wouldn't do the same as taxi companies elsewhere & impose an extra 'loading' on the fare.
Swindon's about 16 miles from Fairford, isn't it? I live about 25 miles from Cardiff & when the Champions League was played there the company I work for were looking at paying for a taxi for me to get to work on the day of the match....a normal fare was about £35-£40, but on that day the taxi companies were looking to charge anywhere from £95 upwards ! :shock:

The taxi I got was on the RIAT Friday and the fare was calculated by the use of the taxi meter and not by plucking a ridiculous number out of thin air !

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

So were the fares my boss was quoted.
There's a maximum 'per mile' fee they can charge ( set by the Welsh Government ) on top of the basic fee they charge before they even turn a wheel and I presume English regions have similar regulations.
What bumps up the prices are the various surcharges they're allowed to make, which apply after a certain time, when it's busy, on weekends, during special events, etc. Again, presumably English regions have a similar systems.
There are also different tariffs they're allowed to charge, with one being some 50% or so higher than the other.
Just by working within the regulations they can pretty much double the standard fare.
아직도 숨어있다

mavvymoo

Post by mavvymoo »

Brevet Cable wrote:Unless it's a trick of perspective, they don't exactly give you much room around the pre-pitched, do they! :shock:

No they don't - and you can hear everything going on in the tents around you! :shock:
Famed for appearing to put my foot in it, read my post with the voice of Stewie Griffin if it offended you first time

bushande

Post by bushande »

Hello Gentlemen,
I'm mostly a quiet reader of the entire RIAT threads but I still have to bother with something that has me left a little insecure about current proceedings.

I'll be staying over the weekend together with a friend at the official RIAT (Tangerine fields) camp site.
I did purchase the CAMPING passes necessary and also the PARKING pass.

While my PARKING pass arrived via mail I haven't received any explicit CAMPING pass other than the confirmation email.
Do I have to fear that my CAMPING passes have gone lost or are there no camping passes at all and there's only the PARKING pass to be displayed. This year's visit is particularly "important" for me as I was lucky enough to contribute the "Ghost Tiger"-livery on the Luftwaffe show tiffy and - if everything goes well god willing - "my" "Ghost Tiger" Tiffy will hopefully be sent over by FS74 and I just don't want to run into any difficulties upon arrival.

Also: I purchased a FRIAT pass and I know there is a dedicated FRIAT entry with accelerated processing close to the blue gates. Is there an equivalent close to the red gates as well?

many thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to read and reply.

best wishes from Germany.
Alex

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Hi Alex

You’ll be fine with your parking pass, they’ll check you in on the gate

The last 2 years I’ve used the yellow pedestriam entrance as I see zero point in driving literally accross the road, but pedestrians havent been able to use the red entrance, hopefully this has been changed as there’s no dedicated FRIAT entry at yellow & its a fair old queuen

bushande

Post by bushande »

Thank you so much for the quick and kind reply. Appreciate it. That makes me sleep a little better and I can do with a little walk so yellow entry it is if nothing has changed.

Many thanks indeed.

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

Hi Alex, make sure you have your parking pass and (Tangerine Fields) receipt which will have your order reference, and the reception peeps will take care of the rest. As for the FRIAT (Blue) entrance, I think it's a fast track for FRIAT drivers (can they drive in?). Either way it's not important, you can actually hop on the bus once you're inside. :smile:
MarkL

bushande

Post by bushande »

Once again a big thank you for the helpful input and the clarification. I appreciate the help and am now looking forward to my visit.
Many thanks once more.