Where has XH558 thread gone?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
reheat module

Re: Where has XH558 thread gone?

Post by reheat module »

Was always taught that ..."The only person who made a wrong decision, was a person who had the guts to make a decision in the first place".
Not saying he was/will be right or wrong, but plenty of people fearful of ever making a decision, are all too keen to be filled with hindsight or become fanatical keyboard warriors...
Canon systems

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

reheat module wrote:but plenty of people fearful of ever making a decision, are all too keen to be filled with hindsight or become fanatical keyboard warriors...
Or were never allowed to be part of the particular decision.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

MicrolightDriver wrote:
Xm657 wrote:
It's nice that David Walton can still be kind enough to lend them his hangar after everything that's happened.

Does make you wonder just how serious the much talked about 'rift' ever was.

Or whether the renting of the hangar for the event is just a business transaction?

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

GertrudetheMerciless wrote:
MicrolightDriver wrote:
Xm657 wrote:
It's nice that David Walton can still be kind enough to lend them his hangar after everything that's happened.

Or whether the renting of the hangar for the event is just a business transaction?

Or actually whether the hangar has been rented for the event? or whether anyone said it's 'just a business transaction'?

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

Can I just say that the minute she landed for the last time and was no longer the last flying Vulcan, but turned into the last Vulcan to fly, she became just another Vulcan on the ground to me.

Every day that has passed since her last flight makes her USP ( as the last Vulcan to fly ) less relevant.

If I wanted to see a static Vulcan on the ground or a taxying Vulcan on the ground, seems to me that there are better options already, that’s if I was interested in seeing a Vulcan drive around or parked up.

I’m not. Not really, and I’m an Aviation Enthusiast who followed XH558 around when she was flying.

Just my thoughts, maybe Joe Public really want to see her again on the ground.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

IgnatiusJReilly

Post by IgnatiusJReilly »

Given that there's a ticket price of £25 / head for this gig, it would be nice to have some clarity from the trust on whether a share, (& how much), of the proceeds will be going towards maintaining the collection at Bruntingthorpe?
And what is the trust planning to do with the rest.
Are they now building a fund to pay for the hangar build and is this, and the latest unique opportunity to have your name on the wing, going towards that?
Or is it just going towards topping up the monthly outgoings? (which, given that the collection is parked up outside doing very little, should be virtually nothing, asides from paying the insurance premium)

Maybe someone from VTTS would care to respond?
Eccentric, idealistic, and creative, sometimes to the point of delusion..

MicrolightDriver

ericbee123 wrote:Can I just say that the minute she landed for the last time and was no longer the last flying Vulcan, but turned into the last Vulcan to fly, she became just another Vulcan on the ground to me.

Every day that has passed since her last flight makes her USP ( as the last Vulcan to fly ) less relevant.

If I wanted to see a static Vulcan on the ground or a taxying Vulcan on the ground, seems to me that there are better options already, that’s if I was interested in seeing a Vulcan drive around or parked up.

I’m not. Not really, and I’m an Aviation Enthusiast who followed XH558 around when she was flying.

Just my thoughts, maybe Joe Public really want to see her again on the ground.

I'd certainly hope that all our grounded Vulcans will continue to interest people, indeed that all other locations and museums with 'grounded' aircraft exhibits continue to attract visitors too.

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

Pleased to report that XM594 with us is open to the public today and hosting visitors as I type! http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/Half_Term_Open_Cockpits-

Today's opener is former Vulcan aircrew! :up:

It was also open Saturday and Sunday; and will be again tomorrow - some restrictions apply to gain access http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/NAM_open_cockpits

#EveryNAMvisitCounts
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

IgnatiusJReilly

Post by IgnatiusJReilly »

NAM Updater wrote:Pleased to report that XM594 with us is open to the public today and hosting visitors as I type! http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/Half_Term_Open_Cockpits-
Today's opener is former Vulcan aircrew! :up:
It was also open Saturday and Sunday; and will be again tomorrow - some restrictions apply to gain access http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/NAM_open_cockpits
#EveryNAMvisitCounts

Good luck this week, I hope it's well supported - I'm not really in the game of price comparison, but it's interesting to see what £25 gets you at NAM, particularly considering that we're a family of 5.
(btw. Knowing what the extra money raised for cockpit access, is going to be used for would certainly encourage me to increase my donation...)
Eccentric, idealistic, and creative, sometimes to the point of delusion..

ghostrider1970

Post by ghostrider1970 »

This was my point, why would i drive my family past NAM to see one airframe when they can have a full day with many more exhibits

JetMan

Post by JetMan »

Ringing a bit of positivity and good news back to this thread, the XH558 hangar volunteers have hit another milestone with XL388. The entrance door has been refitted and tested, and we think this is the first time XL388 has had a working door since 1985!! See the video of the door being closed, locked and then opened from inside and out below.

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/VulcanXL388/videos/2030823403798590/[/fb-post]

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

IgnatiusJReilly wrote:Good luck this week, I hope it's well supported - I'm not really in the game of price comparison, but it's interesting to see what £25 gets you at NAM, particularly considering that we're a family of 5.
(btw. Knowing what the extra money raised for cockpit access, is going to be used for would certainly encourage me to increase my donation...)

Thank you for that, with the split half term holidays in Lincolnshire & Nottinghamshire we're running the open cockpits over two weeks - we're still reliant on our excellent volunteers, but XM594 will be open again tomorrow. We try our best to offer value for money - as an aside one Vulcan visitor last week followed your suggestion and increased his donation to +£20. :clap:

Not sure whether it's been covered around here by last week XM594 was used as the backdrop for an Aircrew Interview session with Bill Ramsey, which I believe has gone online today! :up:
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

MicrolightDriver wrote:
MicrolightDriver wrote:
Xm657 wrote:

Or actually whether the hangar has been rented for the event? or whether anyone said it's 'just a business transaction'?

I said it may just be a business transaction. I’m very sorry if such idle speculation offended you. :)

MicrolightDriver

MicrolightDriver wrote:
MicrolightDriver wrote:
Xm657 wrote:

I said it may just be a business transaction. I’m very sorry if such idle speculation offended you. :)

Well no, you didn't, as you can see in the quote. You asked a question as to whether it is just a business transaction. Wasn't offended in my reply, just adding in some more of the 'unknowns' in the situation. :smile:

bernarde

Post by bernarde »

Nice to see VTTS opening the doors again. :facepalm:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1259656 ... 313009396/

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

bernarde wrote:Nice to see VTTS opening the doors again. :facepalm:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1259656 ... 313009396/

Cant see that without logging in to facebook - I dont do facebook so I cant see it.
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk

bernarde

Post by bernarde »

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

And? :dunno:

Three facebook posts with little information & no context.
Unless someone can flesh it out with regards the who & why, it's meaningless.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

MicrolightDriver

Post now appears to have been removed, or is at least unavailable on the Doncaster Spotters Facebook page.

Pity, nice to see XH558 looking so shiny.

st24

Post by st24 »

MicrolightDriver wrote:Post now appears to have been removed, or is at least unavailable on the Doncaster Spotters Facebook page.

Pity, nice to see XH558 looking so shiny.

Shiny as in "wet"?!?.... :confused:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

MicrolightDriver

Nah, shiny as in gloss coat, sunshine, no mould or greenery....

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

bernarde wrote:Nice to see VTTS opening the doors again. :facepalm:

Doors...? :question:

The only doors they have are the great 'outdoors'! :whistle:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

I see that the vtts have a new address outside of the airport now,
Unit 4 delta court.
Any reason why the change.

Heavy Metal

Post by Heavy Metal »

WOW, Isn't this the thread that just keeps on giving......................... :snack: :cuppa: :pinkwafer:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

vulcan558 wrote:I see that the vtts have a new address outside of the airport now,
Unit 4 delta court.
Any reason why the change.

I'd have thought it's because their old address was (sic)'Hanger 3' ..... and they aren't in that hangar any more.

Edited because the forum is set up to automatically change hanger to hangar ( when the VTST's accounts published by the Charity Comission spells it with an 'e' not an 'a' )
Last edited by Brevet Cable on Tue 20 Feb 2018, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다