RIAT 2018 discussion

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby harkins on Tue 13 Feb 2018, 11:14 am

I just had a quick look and I see that the Danes show is in June at Aalborg and the website does seem to suggest that there will be an F-16 display, so fingers crossed it might make it over to Fairford this year then. They've also got the Swiss F-18, but no sign of an RAF Typhoon :sad:
User avatar
harkins

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby Witchcraft24 on Tue 13 Feb 2018, 11:22 am

This could be a thread on its own.... however, the Romanian MIG21 seems to have been out and about over the last few seasons, although it doesn't often travel too far from home (mainly neighbouring countries).
What about European heavier display items? Apart from the Italian C27 and the Airbus A400M demo, there is precious little that displays outside of it's home show (Danish C130 maybe)?
Witchcraft24

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby jalfrezi on Tue 13 Feb 2018, 11:22 am

Tommy wrote:Norwegians don't, AFAIK, host a regular F-16 display these days. I believe they did in 2012 (with a gorgeous painted jet), but I think that was an exception to the rule.


Was that this one?

Image

I believe it was the 100th anniversary jet but I don't recall it displaying in the UK though, other than on static at North Weald?

Correction: It did do a flypast with the Noggie Vampires at Duxford as well.
User avatar
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby CJS on Tue 13 Feb 2018, 11:29 am

harkins wrote:I just had a quick look and I see that the Danes show is in June at Aalborg and the website does seem to suggest that there will be an F-16 display, so fingers crossed it might make it over to Fairford this year then. They've also got the Swiss F-18, but no sign of an RAF Typhoon :sad:


There are no signs of RAF Typhoons anywhere yet, as their schedule hasn't been released.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
User avatar
CJS

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby harkins on Tue 13 Feb 2018, 11:44 am

CJS wrote:There are no signs of RAF Typhoons anywhere yet, as their schedule hasn't been released.


Quite true. Although I don't suppose when it is that it will bother the web administrator at Aalborg.

That Norwegian Falcon is a beauty. It's sad to think that once the F-35 has replaced the F-16s's of many European air arms that special paint schemes will be a thing of the past too.
User avatar
harkins

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby Tommy on Tue 13 Feb 2018, 12:04 pm

jalfrezi wrote:
Tommy wrote:Norwegians don't, AFAIK, host a regular F-16 display these days. I believe they did in 2012 (with a gorgeous painted jet), but I think that was an exception to the rule.


Was that this one?

Image

I believe it was the 100th anniversary jet but I don't recall it displaying in the UK though, other than on static at North Weald?

Correction: It did do a flypast with the Noggie Vampires at Duxford as well.


Aye, that's the magnificent bugger. :up:
User avatar
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby HeyfordDave111 on Tue 13 Feb 2018, 10:49 pm

Now, sorry but I’ve got to throw this one in, if only for total rarity value on these shores in recent years......

And I know some will say nope, want a su27 instead, but........

Rockwell B-1B display. From take off to top side wing swept fast past along the display line into a double or single 1g roll pulling round, wings forward, gear down into the pattern for landing. Job done.
7 or 8 mins of the best time you will ever have at an air show short of tent time with a page 3 girl at Totterdown :heyhey:

Afterburners, car alarms going off aplenty, moisture pulled from the air and a big bomber doing a 500knot flyby.

I remember asking the display pilot who flew a week before at Mildenhall show (subsequently on TDY) about his vulcanesque wing over into downwind, and he explained that on entering the end of the runway he lights the burners and due to weight accellerates at such a speed that its 500knots at mid point, drop the burners and it’s still accelerating with kinetic speed, into single or double roll pulling a wing over to bunt the 600knots off for the downwind.

Sorry, but given a 27 or a B-1B display this year,i’d rather be ‘bad to the Bone’
For any of you who have never seen the display, once seen you’ll never forget it. :worship:
Got to love Russianhardware
HeyfordDave111

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby Thomas Beting on Tue 13 Feb 2018, 11:42 pm

HeyfordDave111 wrote:Now, sorry but I’ve got to throw this one in, if only for total rarity value on these shores in recent years......

And I know some will say nope, want a su27 instead, but........

Rockwell B-1B display. From take off to top side wing swept fast past along the display line into a double or single 1g roll pulling round, wings forward, gear down into the pattern for landing. Job done.
7 or 8 mins of the best time you will ever have at an air show short of tent time with a page 3 girl at Totterdown :heyhey:

Afterburners, car alarms going off aplenty, moisture pulled from the air and a big bomber doing a 500knot flyby.

I remember asking the display pilot who flew a week before at Mildenhall show (subsequently on TDY) about his vulcanesque wing over into downwind, and he explained that on entering the end of the runway he lights the burners and due to weight accellerates at such a speed that its 500knots at mid point, drop the burners and it’s still accelerating with kinetic speed, into single or double roll pulling a wing over to bunt the 600knots off for the downwind.

Sorry, but given a 27 or a B-1B display this year,i’d rather be ‘bad to the Bone’
For any of you who have never seen the display, once seen you’ll never forget it. :worship:
. Agreed. I saw it fly in the Miami Beach Airshow and it was crazy! it did 3 flypast and after the last one a barrel roll :rock: :rock:
User avatar
Thomas Beting

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby duffspeed on Wed 14 Feb 2018, 10:11 am

The only thing, in my view, that beats a B1 at any show would be the SR-71. I wonder if SR-91 is real and might turn up? :shock:
User avatar
duffspeed

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby HeyfordDave111 on Wed 14 Feb 2018, 10:31 am

duffspeed wrote:The only thing, in my view, that beats a B1 at any show would be the SR-71. I wonder if SR-91 is real and might turn up? :shock:


Apparently coming in formation with German Mig29's to celebrate the 100th RAF anniversary! :biggrin:
Got to love Russianhardware
HeyfordDave111

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby duffspeed on Wed 14 Feb 2018, 10:52 am

HeyfordDave111 wrote:
duffspeed wrote:The only thing, in my view, that beats a B1 at any show would be the SR-71. I wonder if SR-91 is real and might turn up? :shock:


Apparently coming in formation with German Mig29's to celebrate the 100th RAF anniversary! :biggrin:


Don't be silly - German MIGs don't exist.
User avatar
duffspeed

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 14 Feb 2018, 11:20 am

When you think about it, the Germans ( along with the Austrians, Turks, Hungarians & Bulgarians ) should have a massive presence at this year's Anniversary celebrations.....because without them, the RAF wouldn't exist. :biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby cg_341 on Wed 14 Feb 2018, 11:26 am

duffspeed wrote:
HeyfordDave111 wrote:
duffspeed wrote:The only thing, in my view, that beats a B1 at any show would be the SR-71. I wonder if SR-91 is real and might turn up? :shock:


Apparently coming in formation with German Mig29's to celebrate the 100th RAF anniversary! :biggrin:


Don't be silly - German MIGs don't exist.

Image
cg_341

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby boff180 on Wed 14 Feb 2018, 12:14 pm

Lol Chris think the joke is on you there.... he is being ironic in reference to the SR-91 ;-)
User avatar
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby cg_341 on Wed 14 Feb 2018, 12:18 pm

Image

:oops:
cg_341

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby boff180 on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 11:59 am

Nice flying contingent from the Czech Air Force :clap:
User avatar
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby Gripenjetphotos on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 11:59 am

Czech Gripen and ALCA Flying! :love:
Unofficially promoting the SAAB Gripen in Britain!
Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/
User avatar
Gripenjetphotos

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby kinglear27 on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 12:00 pm

The Czech Republic will make a welcome return to the 2018 Air Tattoo to help celebrate 100 years of the Royal Air Force. Representatives for the Czech Air Force this week confirmed that a JAS-39 Gripen and L-159 Advanced Light Combat Aircraft (ALCA) will be taking part in the flying display over the weekend of 13-15 July.

The Czech Air Force performed at the 2017 Air Tattoo with the Gripen and a unique two-ship L-159 demonstration. This year's performance will see them join in the official international celebration of RAF100 - alongside air arms from around the world.

Whilst the Czech Air Force is itself a young organisation, founded in 1993, Czech military aviation dates back to 1918. The current Air Arm succeeded the Czechoslovak Air Force which was active from 1918 to 1992 and the dissolution of Czechoslovakia.

Nice Update!!
Last edited by kinglear27 on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kinglear27

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby edhunter on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 12:00 pm

nice update
edhunter

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby capercaillie on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 12:02 pm

A repeat of last year, would have preferred the Hind and Hip personally, but there we go. :biggrin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
User avatar
capercaillie

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby kinglear27 on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 12:09 pm

capercaillie wrote:A repeat of last year, would have preferred the Hind and Hip personally, but there we go. :biggrin:

True...but both the Alca and the Gripen put on great displays.
kinglear27

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby Gripenjetphotos on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 12:19 pm

Looks like the ALCA will be a solo this year, like in 2015.

“The Czech Air Force has confirmed that both their JAS-39 Gripen and L-159 ALCA will be performing solo displays at the 2018 Air Tattoo.”
Unofficially promoting the SAAB Gripen in Britain!
Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/
User avatar
Gripenjetphotos

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby Tommy on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 12:29 pm

Yeah good stuff. I like the Gripen and ALCA. :up:

Just chatting with some of the guys - I quite like the Czech Gripen fast pass; I’ve not heard a Gripen make the (forgive the overly-technical terminology) “pfffteeooww” like that before. Very cool.

ElwynR’s vid of its display at Yeovilton captures it well (heard at RIAT, too, but less appareant) - about 3.45 in this vid:

User avatar
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby jason82wells on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 7:03 pm

capercaillie wrote:A repeat of last year, would have preferred the Hind and Hip personally, but there we go. :biggrin:


If I had a choice I would agree with you, dying to see a Hind (especially in the sky)! That said these additions break up the F-16/Typhoon domination we often see & they both put on great displays in July
jason82wells

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby rockfordstone on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 9:19 pm

i enjoyed the Gripen last year, even thought the weather wasn't on it's side
User avatar
rockfordstone

PreviousNext

Return to Royal International Air Tattoo

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 138EAW, Gripenjetphotos, HeyfordDave111, Iain S, Jetnoise, Kevyboy1979, MarkVTX, NigeF-51, PanaviaTornado, TijnvandeBeld, vulcanshammer and 69 guests

cron