RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
harkins

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by harkins »

I just had a quick look and I see that the Danes show is in June at Aalborg and the website does seem to suggest that there will be an F-16 display, so fingers crossed it might make it over to Fairford this year then. They've also got the Swiss F-18, but no sign of an RAF Typhoon :sad:

Witchcraft24

Post by Witchcraft24 »

This could be a thread on its own.... however, the Romanian MIG21 seems to have been out and about over the last few seasons, although it doesn't often travel too far from home (mainly neighbouring countries).
What about European heavier display items? Apart from the Italian C27 and the Airbus A400 demo, there is precious little that displays outside of it's home show (Danish C130 maybe)?

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Tommy wrote:Norwegians don't, AFAIK, host a regular F-16 display these days. I believe they did in 2012 (with a gorgeous painted jet), but I think that was an exception to the rule.

Was that this one?

I believe it was the 100th anniversary jet but I don't recall it displaying in the UK though, other than on static at North Weald?

Correction: It did do a flypast with the Noggie Vampires at Duxford as well.

CJS

Post by CJS »

harkins wrote:I just had a quick look and I see that the Danes show is in June at Aalborg and the website does seem to suggest that there will be an F-16 display, so fingers crossed it might make it over to Fairford this year then. They've also got the Swiss F-18, but no sign of an RAF Typhoon :sad:

There are no signs of RAF Typhoons anywhere yet, as their schedule hasn't been released.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

harkins

Post by harkins »

CJS wrote:There are no signs of RAF Typhoons anywhere yet, as their schedule hasn't been released.

Quite true. Although I don't suppose when it is that it will bother the web administrator at Aalborg.

That Norwegian Falcon is a beauty. It's sad to think that once the F-35 has replaced the F-16s's of many European air arms that special paint schemes will be a thing of the past too.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

jalfrezi wrote:
Tommy wrote:Norwegians don't, AFAIK, host a regular F-16 display these days. I believe they did in 2012 (with a gorgeous painted jet), but I think that was an exception to the rule.

Was that this one?

I believe it was the 100th anniversary jet but I don't recall it displaying in the UK though, other than on static at North Weald?

Correction: It did do a flypast with the Noggie Vampires at Duxford as well.

Aye, that's the magnificent bugger. :up:

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Now, sorry but I’ve got to throw this one in, if only for total rarity value on these shores in recent years......

And I know some will say nope, want a su27 instead, but........

Rockwell B1-B display. From take off to top side wing swept fast past along the display line into a double or single 1g roll pulling round, wings forward, gear down into the pattern for landing. Job done.
7 or 8 mins of the best time you will ever have at an air show short of tent time with a page 3 girl at Totterdown :heyhey:

Afterburners, car alarms going off aplenty, moisture pulled from the air and a big bomber doing a 500knot flyby.

I remember asking the display pilot who flew a week before at Mildenhall show (subsequently on TDY) about his vulcanesque wing over into downwind, and he explained that on entering the end of the runway he lights the burners and due to weight accellerates at such a speed that its 500knots at mid point, drop the burners and it’s still accelerating with kinetic speed, into single or double roll pulling a wing over to bunt the 600knots off for the downwind.

Sorry, but given a 27 or a B1-B display this year,i’d rather be ‘bad to the Bone’
For any of you who have never seen the display, once seen you’ll never forget it. :worship:
Got to love Russianhardware

Thomas Beting

Post by Thomas Beting »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:Now, sorry but I’ve got to throw this one in, if only for total rarity value on these shores in recent years......

And I know some will say nope, want a su27 instead, but........

Rockwell B-1B display. From take off to top side wing swept fast past along the display line into a double or single 1g roll pulling round, wings forward, gear down into the pattern for landing. Job done.
7 or 8 mins of the best time you will ever have at an air show short of tent time with a page 3 girl at Totterdown :heyhey:

Afterburners, car alarms going off aplenty, moisture pulled from the air and a big bomber doing a 500knot flyby.

I remember asking the display pilot who flew a week before at Mildenhall show (subsequently on TDY) about his vulcanesque wing over into downwind, and he explained that on entering the end of the runway he lights the burners and due to weight accellerates at such a speed that its 500knots at mid point, drop the burners and it’s still accelerating with kinetic speed, into single or double roll pulling a wing over to bunt the 600knots off for the downwind.

Sorry, but given a 27 or a B-1B display this year,i’d rather be ‘bad to the Bone’
For any of you who have never seen the display, once seen you’ll never forget it. :worship:
. Agreed. I saw it fly in the Miami Beach Airshow and it was crazy! it did 3 flypast and after the last one a barrel roll :rock: :rock:

duffspeed

Post by duffspeed »

The only thing, in my view, that beats a B1 at any show would be the SR-71. I wonder if SR-91 is real and might turn up? :shock:

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

duffspeed wrote:The only thing, in my view, that beats a B1 at any show would be the SR-71. I wonder if SR-91 is real and might turn up? :shock:

Apparently coming in formation with German Mig29's to celebrate the 100th RAF anniversary! :biggrin:
Got to love Russianhardware

duffspeed

Post by duffspeed »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:
duffspeed wrote:The only thing, in my view, that beats a B1 at any show would be the SR-71. I wonder if SR-91 is real and might turn up? :shock:

Apparently coming in formation with German Mig29's to celebrate the 100th RAF anniversary! :biggrin:

Don't be silly - German MIGs don't exist.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

When you think about it, the Germans ( along with the Austrians, Turks, Hungarians & Bulgarians ) should have a massive presence at this year's Anniversary celebrations.....because without them, the RAF wouldn't exist. :biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

duffspeed wrote:
HeyfordDave111 wrote:

Don't be silly - German MIGs don't exist.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Lol Chris think the joke is on you there.... he is being ironic in reference to the SR-91 ;-)

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

:oops:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Nice flying contingent from the Czech Air Force :clap:

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

Czech Gripen and ALCA Flying! :love:
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

kinglear27

Post by kinglear27 »

The Czech Republic will make a welcome return to the 2018 Air Tattoo to help celebrate 100 years of the Royal Air Force. Representatives for the Czech Air Force this week confirmed that a JAS-39 Gripen and L-159 Advanced Light Combat Aircraft (ALCA) will be taking part in the flying display over the weekend of 13-15 July.

The Czech Air Force performed at the 2017 Air Tattoo with the Gripen and a unique two-ship L-159 demonstration. This year's performance will see them join in the official international celebration of RAF100 - alongside air arms from around the world.

Whilst the Czech Air Force is itself a young organisation, founded in 1993, Czech military aviation dates back to 1918. The current Air Arm succeeded the Czechoslovak Air Force which was active from 1918 to 1992 and the dissolution of Czechoslovakia.

Nice Update!!
Last edited by kinglear27 on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

nice update

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

A repeat of last year, would have preferred the Hind and Hip personally, but there we go. :biggrin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

kinglear27

Post by kinglear27 »

capercaillie wrote:A repeat of last year, would have preferred the Hind and Hip personally, but there we go. :biggrin:

True...but both the Alca and the Gripen put on great displays.

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

Looks like the ALCA will be a solo this year, like in 2015.

“The Czech Air Force has confirmed that both their JAS-39 Gripen and L-159 ALCA will be performing solo displays at the 2018 Air Tattoo.”
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Yeah good stuff. I like the Gripen and ALCA. :up:

Just chatting with some of the guys - I quite like the Czech Gripen fast pass; I’ve not heard a Gripen make the (forgive the overly-technical terminology) “pfffteeooww” like that before. Very cool.

ElwynR’s vid of its display at Yeovilton captures it well (heard at RIAT, too, but less appareant) - about 3.45 in this vid:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW3XSSfke9g[/youtube]

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

capercaillie wrote:A repeat of last year, would have preferred the Hind and Hip personally, but there we go. :biggrin:

If I had a choice I would agree with you, dying to see a Hind (especially in the sky)! That said these additions break up the F-16/Typhoon domination we often see & they both put on great displays in July

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

i enjoyed the grippen last year, even thought the weather wasn't on it's side