All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Burleysway

Re: Kempsford Camping

Post by Burleysway »

Got mine on Sunday :tongue2:

Phil Standfield

Post by Phil Standfield »

Just had booking confirmation E-mail. Countdown now on.

shaggy101

Post by shaggy101 »

Mine to, see you all there :smile:
Dan,

Clive1

Post by Clive1 »

Afternoon all

I lost Therasa under a pile of envelopes a week or so ago. Now and again I hear a muffled cry. Just heard something sounding like "80% sold already".

If we can find her, she's going to send out to 2016 customers on Thursday so do get in quick if you want a pitch.

Cheers

Clive

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Gonna be sold-out even earlier than last year, then?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

brionfire

Post by brionfire »

Shame new people don’t get a chance - I would have been ready to book on day one.

Understand you need a system but why not first come first served like everything else?

They might as well not bother advertising it if this happens every year.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

brionfire wrote:Shame new people don’t get a chance - I would have been ready to book on day one.

Understand you need a system but why not first come first served like everything else?

I disagree.

Kempsford has become a bit like a club whereby you renew your membership every year (an excellent system in my opinion), those that stayed there the year before are given the chance to book again before offering their place to new people.

My son has camped there for 13 consecutive years and he should certainly be given the option of booking again this year before losing his place - shouldn't he?

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Big Eric wrote:
brionfire wrote:Shame new people don’t get a chance - I would have been ready to book on day one.

I disagree.

Kempsford has become a bit like a club whereby you renew your membership every year (an excellent system in my opinion), those that stayed there the year before are given the chance to book again before offering their place to new people.

My son has camped there for 13 consecutive years and he should certainly be given the option of booking again this year before losing his place - shouldn't he?

Indeed. Loyalty is a precious commodity these days. Nice to see its still valued here - both ways.

brionfire

Post by brionfire »

Don’t get me wrong - I applaud the loyalty and the reason we want to book this is because it is obviously so well supported.

Just wish the website made it a bit more obvious that you basically have no chance of booking for a first time - I would have tried elsewhere much earlier!

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

brionfire wrote:Don’t get me wrong - I applaud the loyalty and the reason we want to book this is because it is obviously so well supported.

Just wish the website made it a bit more obvious that you basically have no chance of booking for a first time - I would have tried elsewhere much earlier!

You do have the chance of booking for the first time - just not a very big one, and I'm sure if Clive could double the area of the camp-site then new people would still have the same "problem" every year.

brionfire

Post by brionfire »

Big Eric wrote:You do have the chance of booking for the first time - just not a very big one

Not from what I have been told - sold out the last three years before new people got a chance - so even less chance this year!

I live in hope though! :biggrin:

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

brionfire wrote:
Big Eric wrote:You do have the chance of booking for the first time - just not a very big one

Not from what I have been told - sold out the last three years before new people got a chance - so even less chance this year!

I live in hope though! :biggrin:

I don't see how that could happen, that means that everyone that stayed there in 2017 have booked again for this year. That just doesn't happen, there must have been some that didn't re-book and some "new" peeps have got the chance to stay there this year.

Where's Clive when you need him? :grin:

brionfire

Post by brionfire »

It’s 2017 first - then 2016 - then us! :biggrin:

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

brionfire wrote:It’s 2017 first - then 2016 - then us! :biggrin:

Good luck with getting a pitch, I just love the place. I know it's not cheap, but it's easily the best. :smile:

brionfire

Post by brionfire »

Big Eric wrote:
brionfire wrote:It’s 2017 first - then 2016 - then us! :biggrin:

Good luck with getting a pitch, I just love the place. I know it's not cheap, but it's easily the best. :smile:

I know - that’s why I am trying to book it! Especially good for FRIAT!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

One of the things they did for a few years which may be useful these days was to offer half-sized pitches.
As it is now, you'll often see a whole 9m x 11m ( or whatever it is ) pitch occupied by a single one-man tent.....and I don't mean one pitched by the usual bunch solely to reserve it for their friends ( the same people who park their cars on vacant pitches for the same reason )

The issue with it selling out so quickly, that's only really happened for the last 2 or 3 years.

As for staying there if you haven't before ( or didn't last year ) there are ways and means.
The most obvious is if you know someone who has managed to book for this year -- get them to add you on to their booking as an extra person(s) & tent ... on a standard pitch I can get a 5m x 3m tent & a large estate car and there's still plenty of room to fit another tent & car.
아직도 숨어있다

brionfire

Post by brionfire »

Brevet Cable wrote:One of the things they did for a few years which may be useful these days was to offer half-sized pitches.
As it is now, you'll often see a whole 9m x 11m ( or whatever it is ) pitch occupied by a single one-man tent.....and I don't mean one pitched by the usual bunch solely to reserve it for their friends ( the same people who park their cars on vacant pitches for the same reason )

The issue with it selling out so quickly, that's only really happened for the last 2 or 3 years.

As for staying there if you haven't before ( or didn't last year ) there are ways and means.
The most obvious is if you know someone who has managed to book for this year -- get them to add you on to their booking as an extra person(s) & tent ... on a standard pitch I can get a 5m x 3m tent & a large estate car and there's still plenty of room to fit another tent & car.

Thanks - useful info

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Just thought I'd also mention....
Their policy is one caravan/motorhome per pitch ( no restriction for tents )
There doesn't seem to be any restriction when it comes to having a caravan/motorhome and tent(s) on the same pitch.
Neither is there any apparent restriction on people on the same pitch arriving and/or leaving on different days.
You could get it that one person on a shared pitch will be there from Monday-Monday, another from Wednesday-Sunday and another still just for the Friday-Sunday.

Same with a pitch with a caravan/motorhome.....they could be there Monday-Monday & they'll have someone in a tent on the same pitch just for the Friday-Sunday.
아직도 숨어있다

Clive1

Post by Clive1 »

"Stop Stop" Therasa cried, "I can't take any more!"

I think it's envelopes she's talking about so sadly we have to close off the bookings today. Anything that arrives in the post today will most likely get in but I'm afraid that's it.

I've read what you've all been saying about the booking system and of course I can understand all sides. The comments about Kempsford Camping being more of a club than a campsite are true and that's why we love doing it, meeting up with friends and enjoying that great atmosphere. But in order to be fair there has to be a system and I believe what we have now is a fair one. If you came last year you're in if you want to be. But that's never 100% so, if you had to miss a year but were here the year before, if you're quick you are in. Usually then we open up to new customers so in a normal year there is a chance albeit a small one. This year we didn't get to that third phase but I do think perhaps it's an anomaly and next year we'll be back to normal. Whatever that is!

So, sorry if we can't squeeze you in, but as some you you have pointed out, it's a loyalty thing.

See you in July!

Clive

PeteFenwick

Post by PeteFenwick »

I have been coming to Kempsford (and its predecessor) since 1996.

I believe Clive's booking system is fair and in this day and age loyalty is a valued and rare commodity.

Hope Clive and his 4 legged friend are doing well and here's to a great and sunny Kempsford

Albion143

Post by Albion143 »

Clive do you know if the pizza stall is going to be there this year, that was a big hit last year!!

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Totterdown sold out very fast this year also,all the camping is fully booked for 2018. with the loss of Ryhmes farm camping, the knock on effect as been
Kempsford and Totterdown sell out faster.
If you want to camp close to the airshow, then you need to book as you leave the previous show.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Still spaces in the official campsite as far as I know, which is also right next to the airfield.
아직도 숨어있다

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

vulcan558 wrote:Totterdown sold out very fast this year also,all the camping is fully booked for 2018. with the loss of Ryhmes farm camping, the knock on effect as been
Kempsford and Totterdown sell out faster.
If you want to camp close to the airshow, then you need to book as you leave the previous show.
As far as I can see, the football club hasn't even started to take bookings, so there is still a chance for those that are looking for a place, it is just not direct around the corner (and what is the situation about Furzey Hill?).
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Don't think Furzey open for bookings until May, do they?
Or at least I think it's been in May of previous years that they've posted on here saying they'll be open.

edited to add...
Yet another stupid auto-correct cock-up by this website, I see. :wall:
아직도 숨어있다