Suspending an airframe from a ceiling - costs?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Tomahawk

Suspending an airframe from a ceiling - costs?

Post by Tomahawk »

I have suggested to the management where I work that a good use of space in our main building atrium would be to look at suspending a retired glider type airframe from the ceiling. They have come back to me and asked if I have any idea of the costs of doing so. The aircraft weighs only around 30-40kg (without any suspension fixings).

I've seen SkySport Engineering's website but as this is all very exploratory at the moment I don't want to waste anyone's time going into a lot of detail if a contributor on here might have a rough idea from existing knowledge of similar work.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Gonzo230

Re: Suspending an airframe from a ceiling - costs?

Post by Gonzo230 »

I’m afraid I can’t offer any help on costs, but on a recent behind the scenes tour of Cosford the engineering director explained that the general consensus among the large aviation museums around the world was that aircraft should only really be suspended for around 15 years before being taken down to be sctructurally examined.

Of course, I’m not sure how this would relate to a 30-40kg aircraft, which I guess is a bit lighter than those they were talking about!