Finnish Air Force 100th Anniversary Show 2018

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
Jakesplanes

Finnish Air Force 100th Anniversary Show 2018

Post by Jakesplanes »

Dates are listed as 16th and 17th of June, 2018. The event will be held at Jyväskylä, the site of the FiAF training command. Also on this site is the Air Force Museum, home to some interesting airframes such as the last surviving Brewster Buffalo and the only complete Fokker DXXI. Expect this to be a very well supported show, especially from potential suppliers of the Finnish HX Fighter procurement program.
IG profile "jakesplanes"

john001

Re: Finnish Air Force 100th Anniversary Show 2018

Post by john001 »

Hotel prices are at RIAT levels! Just booked the cheapest in case I can get there thanks for the info

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

john001 wrote:Hotel prices are at RIAT levels! Just booked the cheapest in case I can get there thanks for the info

A very lovely friend of mine is moving from Helsinki to Jyväskylä next year, im hoping its before June :wink:
IG profile "jakesplanes"

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Very little info so far on this event !

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

There’s very little to report at the moment, I emailed the organizers on a business matter two weeks ago and there was no information. The website hints at various foreign acts and candidates for the HX program, and promised to update within a week, which was three weeks ago... incidentally there WILL be special arrangements for spotters and press, details also to come... guess we just have to be patient. HX is the fighter procurement to replace the legacy Hornets in Finnish service and consists of Typhoon, Rafael, super Hornet or F-35, so expect to see all of these at least. I’ll keep you all informed as and when! Tervetulua Suomeen!
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

Happy to pass this on:
Flying will be split into 3 sections:
Representing the past will be:
Fokker D.VII
Gloster Gauntlet
VL Viima
Douglas DC-3
Saab 91D Safir
Fouga Magister CM.170

To represent the present:
BAE hawk
Valmet L-70 Vinka
Pilatus PC-12NG
CASA c-295

Finnish Army
NH-90
Hughes MD-500

Finnish Border Guard
H215 super puma
AW119 ke Koala

Third part is reserved for the F/A18 Hornet, international display teams and HX candidates tbc later

More acts listed as available, sport aviation will be demonstrated throughout the weekend

Now, the static:
Bristol Blenheim
Thulin type d
Bf109 g6
Saab draken
Mig 21
VL Myrsky 2
DO-228
Others to come. Worth the wait? ;)
Welcome to Finland, it’s gonna be a great show!
IG profile "jakesplanes"

st24

Post by st24 »

Be nice to see the Myrsky, '109 and Blenheim in some day light, latter two are just gorgeous..
I need an MD500 to complete my Finnish tally-not interested in bagging a Tutor!! :sleepy:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

st24 wrote:Be nice to see the Myrsky, '109 and Blenheim in some day light, latter two are just gorgeous..
I need an MD500 to complete my Finnish tally-not interested in bagging a Tutor!! :sleepy:

So far it’s what most previous visitors would have seen. But if you’ve never been to a Finnish show before, it’s almost guaranteed there will be something new for you. Myrsky and Blenheim in daylight is a massive win for me. The Myrsky is an absolutely gorgeous warbird..,
IG profile "jakesplanes"

MikkoFinland

Post by MikkoFinland »

Greetings. This is my first message here and since this topic sounds familiar, I think I'll have to provide some background information on the static display. As far as the Thulin typ D goes, the Air Force Museum has a real nice 1/1 scale replica. It is currently part of the exhibition and hangs from the roof of the museum building and it might prove to be a challenge to remove it from its current location. They also have an authentic wreck of a Thulin and that's the one I think they're going to use in the static display since it is far easier to move around.

And in case you haven't heard the VL Myrsky is an ongoing restoration project. According to their timetable it should be completed sometime around 2019. At the present time it is not a complete aircraft. I think they intend to show the fuselage of the Myrsky as part of the static display.

st24

Post by st24 »

MikkoFinland wrote:
And in case you haven't heard the VL Myrsky is an ongoing restoration project. According to their timetable it should be completed sometime around 2019. At the present time it is not a complete aircraft. I think they intend to show the fuselage of the Myrsky as part of the static display.

Thanks for this, of course, I was thinking Pyoremyrsky!!

MikkoFinland

Post by MikkoFinland »

st24 wrote:
MikkoFinland wrote:

Thanks for this, of course, I was thinking Pyoremyrsky!!

VL Pyörremyrsky is currently (and has been for years) part of the FiAF Museum exhibition. And this is their ongoing VL Myrsky project.

https://www.vlmyrsky.fi/en

They've been showing the project around the country for the past couple of years, so I'm almost 100 % sure they'll transport it to the static display also.

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

MikkoFinland wrote: And in case you haven't heard the VL Myrsky is an ongoing restoration project. According to their timetable it should be completed sometime around 2019. At the present time it is not a complete aircraft. I think they intend to show the fuselage of the Myrsky as part of the static display.

Moi Mikko!
As the Bf109 and Blenheim are coming from the museum, it’s not impossible that the pyörremyrsky and the Fokker D21 couldn’t see sunlight, they are the real gems of the collection.
Regarding the Myrsky II, I’m hoping that the anniversary will aid funding to at least get the airframe looking complete externally in time.
What we really want is the Fokker Friendship from Satakunta, we know it’s going to end up at the museum anyways, why not now?
Here’s hoping for a great show!!
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

Hearing rumors of Spanish Eurofighter in the flying. It also popped up on Milavia today..,.
IG profile "jakesplanes"

st24

Post by st24 »

Jakesplanes wrote:
MikkoFinland wrote: And in case you haven't heard the VL Myrsky is an ongoing restoration project. According to their timetable it should be completed sometime around 2019. At the present time it is not a complete aircraft. I think they intend to show the fuselage of the Myrsky as part of the static display.

Moi Mikko!
As the Bf109 and Blenheim are coming from the museum, it’s not impossible that the pyörremyrsky and the Fokker D21 couldn’t see sunlight, they are the real gems of the collection.
Regarding the Myrsky II, I’m hoping that the anniversary will aid funding to at least get the airframe looking complete externally in time.
What we really want is the Fokker Friendship from Satakunta, we know it’s going to end up at the museum anyways, why not now?
Here’s hoping for a great show!!

Is the ELINT/SIGiNT F. 27still operational then??

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

st24 wrote: iIs the ELINT/SIGiNT F. 27still operational then??

Well no certainly not operational, I’m not even sure it is currently airworthy. However I spoke with the Satakunta base commander where it currently resides (I was trying to blag a peek into her hangar) and he told me she wasn’t available to view but would eventually most likely be available to view at Jyväskylä in the foreseeable future. No idea the last time it flew.
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

Swedish Historic flight have the J35 Draken listed for this show on their display calendar. No news from the organizers for some weeks now.
IG profile "jakesplanes"

MikkoFinland

Post by MikkoFinland »

RAF Typhoon Display Team is coming. Tikkakoski is listed, but there may be some changes.

https://fi-fi.facebook.com/raftyphoon/

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

Well done Mikko, beat me to it. They did a great display in Helsinki, certainly welcome back!
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

3 French Air Force Dassault Rafale confirmed by organizers, two flying and one static
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

Revised Flying list finally updated on the Finnish website:
Flying will be split into 3 sections:
Representing the past will be:
Fokker D.VII
Gloster Gauntlet
VL Viima
Douglas DC-3
Saab 91D Safir
Fouga Magister CM.170
Plus:
Mig-15
Stieglitz

To represent the present:
BAE hawk
Valmet L-70 Vinka
Pilatus PC-12NG
CASA c-295

Finnish Army
NH-90
Hughes MD-500

Finnish Border Guard
H215 super puma
AW119 ke Koala
Plus:
Saab Draken
Mi-8
Midnight Hawks

Third part is reserved for the F/A18 Hornet, international display teams and HX candidates tbc later
Confirmed Additions:
Eurofighter
Rafale

More acts listed as available, sport aviation will be demonstrated throughout the weekend

Now, the static:
Bristol Blenheim
Thulin type d
Bf109 g6
Saab draken
Mig 21
VL Myrsky 2
DO-228
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

Spotters pass online. It’s €90 for the whole weekend arrivals and departures. Is it just me or is that pricey? I can’t remember what I paid at previous shows
IG profile "jakesplanes"

MikkoFinland

Post by MikkoFinland »

According to the official calendar of the Spanish Air Force they are going to bring one Eurofighter Typhoon to Tikkakoski.

http://www.ejercitodelaire.mde.es/EA/ej ... Finlandia/

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

Belgian Air Component F16 self confirmed :clap:
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

Where’s the Mi-8 coming from I wonder? Lithuania a likely possibility, any other feasible options?
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

Two EA-18G growlers added
IG profile "jakesplanes"