The People’s Mosquito

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
RAF4EVER

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Post by RAF4EVER »

borismorris wrote:I'd take a pink with purple spots scheme on a Mossie over no Mossie at all...

I would take a purple with pink spots :lol: :grin: :clap:

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

st24 wrote:
capercaillie wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:Failing that a 633 Squadron scheme would be alright too.

:hide: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :surrender:

This, with a few more oooooooooos! Poor old RR299 looked and sounded fab but spent it's entire civvy life as a made up aeroplane with no historical significance other than it was a functioning Mossie.

The last three words are the crucial bit. The late great Bill Shankly was asked by one of his players about his role on the pitch to which Shankly replied "If you're not sure what to do, put the ball in the net and we'll talk about it later." That's my thinking on this: let's get the aircraft built and then worry about how to paint it afterwards.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

RAF4EVER wrote:
borismorris wrote:I'd take a pink with purple spots scheme on a Mossie over no Mossie at all...

The Purple Plane, eh. The perfick solution :wink:

John

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
RAF4EVER wrote:

The Purple Plane, eh. The perfick solution :wink:

John

Perfick indeed; it took me a minute, but I got there... :clap:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

Hello,

This was just published, following about two weeks work with 'Air & Space / Smithsonian' Magazine. Enjoy!

https://www.airspacemag.com/military-av ... 180967119/

('Originally appeared in AIR & SPACE/SMITHSONIAN magazine')
Director, Engineering & Airframe Compliance, The People's Mosquito Ltd
Principal, Air Show Consultants

Weather Watcher

Post by Weather Watcher »

Shortfinals wrote:Hello,

This was just published, following about two weeks work with 'Air & Space / Smithsonian' Magazine. Enjoy!

https://www.airspacemag.com/military-av ... 180967119/

Thanks, very interesting.

BillRamsey

Plans and Progress Update

Post by BillRamsey »

Hope this might be of interest. A massive amount of work going on in the background. Not sure about the URL success (not IT literate!). If it doesnt work take a look at our Facebook page and perhaps someone could post it properly. Thanks.

Bill

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A% ... 3QwvRdDkWZ

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

This jumps out from the website post:
We have a considerable amount of work to deliver in 2018 and continue to seek partners and Mosquito enthusiasts willing to support fundraising efforts. Subject to funding, we believe we can have an airworthy Mosquito FB.VI gracing UK skies inside four years

http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/2018/ ... back-home/
Excellent news! :clap:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Pringles wrote:This jumps out from the website post:
We have a considerable amount of work to deliver in 2018 and continue to seek partners and Mosquito enthusiasts willing to support fundraising efforts. Subject to funding, we believe we can have an airworthy Mosquito FB.VI gracing UK skies inside four years

http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/2018/ ... back-home/
Excellent news! :clap:

I do think that's extremely ambitious.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Big news from TPM:

The People’s Mosquito Ltd, a UK aviation restoration charity established to return a de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito FB.VI to UK skies is delighted to announce that they have contracted with Retrotec Ltd, one of the world’s premier aircraft restoration providers, to build and test to final airworthiness acceptance, this versatile World War II aircraft.

https://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/2018 ... -retrotec/
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

harkins

Post by harkins »

That's excellent news and the sort of development that will surely give a huge boost to fund raising. Good luck to them!

BillRamsey

Re: The People’s Mosquito and Retrotec

Post by BillRamsey »

My, good news does travel fast! An exciting development I hope you will agree. Thanks for the kind words.

Bill

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

Thanks, Bill !

I must say that this is the culmination of a lot of discussions between John Lilley our Managing Director and Guy Black of Retrotec, along with work done by the rest of the team at The People's Mosquito. We are delighted to be working with Retrotec, who have a world-class reputation in the field of aircraft restoration. I am sure that everyone who has seen their two DH.9 aircraft and the Hawker Fury I and Hawker Nimrod II will attest to that.

By the way, I do hope that you will visit our new website, which has some stunning images http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk

Please consider joining the TPM Club, buying some TPM swag from the Online Store, or just making a donation! Every £ helps !

Ross Sharp

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

What's the current situation with regards to funding, Bill / Ross?
I had a quick look on the website but couldn't see any figures.

Many thanks for all your efforts,

Paul.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Well after a shaky start and some poor publicity on here, it looks like TPM are taking bigger and better steps towards their ultimate goal. Retrotec have given us a number of gems up to now, Hawker Nimrods and Fury and the hopefully soon to fly DH-9, so I feel happier to reach for the folding/jangling (mostly jangling :grin: ) now I know they are involved. Look forward to the day I can see/hear a Mossie in UK skies again.

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

The Baron wrote:What's the current situation with regards to funding, Bill / Ross?

Paul.

Hi Paul, I have just been in touch with our Director of Finance, and he told me to tell you that we have raised close to £140,000 at the moment. Obviously we have a long way to go, but Retrotec's involvement, and the solid planning done so far, means that we are on the way towards seeing the first Mosquito produced in the U.K. for nearly 70 years! I am sure that you will agree that this is a very exciting development. Please take a look at our new website and/or sign up for our free newsletter, 'The Buzz' to be kept fully up to date. Please see bit.ly/TPMTheBuzz

Cheers

Ross

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

Pat Murphy wrote:Well after a shaky start and some poor publicity on here, it looks like TPM are taking bigger and better steps towards their ultimate goal. Retrotec have given us a number of gems up to now, Hawker Nimrods and Fury and the hopefully soon to fly DH-9, so I feel happier to reach for the folding/jangling (mostly jangling :grin: ) now I know they are involved. Look forward to the day I can see/hear a Mossie in UK skies again.

Jangling is good - folding is better, of course - but jangling is still most acceptable! Might I suggest you consider Membership in our TPM Club? There are many benefits including a full-colour online Journal, 'Mossie Bites' delivered to your inbox four times a year, an Annual Members' Day (the last was held at the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre, with guest speakers and lots more), club discounts at selected sites, etc etc. A bargain at £25 a year.

Alternatively, you can get a wide range of branded and other items (books, models, etc) from our online store. We are currently offering an exclusive poster of one of the de Havilland production drawings, signed by Flt Lt George Dunn DFC and Flt Lt Colin Bell DFC, for only £65. See https://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/stor ... n-drawing/

We do hope that as many of you as possible will join in, to enable Retrotec and The People's Mosquito achieve what we all want to see - a British Mosquito in British skies!

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Shortfinals wrote:
The Baron wrote:What's the current situation with regards to funding, Bill / Ross?

Paul.

Hi Paul, I have just been in touch with our Director of Finance, and he told me to tell you that we have raised close to £140,000 at the moment. Obviously we have a long way to go, but Retrotec's involvement, and the solid planning done so far, means that we are on the way towards seeing the first Mosquito produced in the U.K. for nearly 70 years! I am sure that you will agree that this is a very exciting development. Please take a look at our new website and/or sign up for our free newsletter, 'The Buzz' to be kept fully up to date. Please see bit.ly/TPMTheBuzz

Cheers

Ross

Thanks for taking the time to reply Ross. Much appreciated.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Good, solid and tangible progress. Excellent news, after the catastrophic start.

A project for the community to get behind; the target seems a more reasonable one than asking millions to build a shed somewhere up north for the Bisto Kids' meal ticket.

More power to TPM's elbow. :clap:

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

The Baron wrote:
Shortfinals wrote:

Paul.

Cheers

Ross

Thanks for taking the time to reply Ross. Much appreciated.

No problem, Paul. I'm in the USA, our Finance Director's in the UK, and the internet works wonders! Bill Ramsey or I do try to get to queries as soon as we can (sometimes it helps being in different time zones!) We said that we would be as open as we could, and we do our best to be just that. Oh, and we will shortly be publishing our list of shows that we are taking our stand(s) to this year. Do watch out for us, and come and have a chat about the project. (I'll be on the stand at RIAT, for example). UKAR Members especially welcome!

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Good, solid and tangible progress. Excellent news, after the catastrophic start.

A project for the community to get behind; the target seems a more reasonable one than asking millions to build a shed somewhere up north for the Bisto Kids' meal ticket.

More power to TPM's elbow. :clap:

Thank you for that, Dan, much obliged. We are not done by a long chalk. Watch for further developments in the near future. Oh, and our FREE newsletter, 'The Buzz', giving the latest snippets of news and information, is easy to sign up for. Just go to bit.ly/TPMTheBuzz. We think you'll like the format.

Meanwhile the full-colour, online quarterly Journal of the TPM Club, 'Mossie Bites', is now in its second year. It usually contains historical reprints and new articles on the Mosquito; news and views from our Affiliates (our latest Affiliates include MOTAT and the Australian War Memorial Museum), the occasional Stateside airshow or museum review, as well as lots about TPM, of course. Our Editor, Nick Horrox, does a bang-up job.

Cheers

Ross

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

This is indeed good news. After a very poor start, TPM, in my opinion, have turned a tide and actually have a lot of support from the community. I'm definitely one of the converted. This project now looks much more sustainable, achievable, and tenable than when it started.

Lots of positive noise from this team at last. Good news. :clap:

Also, some of the names on here giving TPM a hard time during its inception are now praising the project. Shows that this place isn't the perpetual doom-factory that's out to see people fail that many like to think it is. Show that you're for real, make progress, keep people informed, and have an achievable goal, and people will quickly get behind you.

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

Tommy wrote:This is indeed good news. After a very poor start, TPM, in my opinion, have turned a tide and actually have a lot of support from the community. I'm definitely one of the converted. This project now looks much more sustainable, achievable, and tenable than when it started.

Lots of positive noise from this team at last. Good news. :clap:

Also, some of the names on here giving TPM a hard time during its inception are now praising the project. Shows that this place isn't the perpetual doom-factory that's out to see people fail that many like to think it is. Show that you're for real, make progress, keep people informed, and have an achievable goal, and people will quickly get behind you.

Thanks for that Tommy, much obliged. We think the catalyst was the acquisition of the 22,300 drawings of the Mosquito; this suddenly made the project not only easier, but meant that we could consider building the aircraft in the U.K. After all, this is where the Mosquito started! As John Lilley, our Managing Director has said, Retrotec was always at the top of our list. For world-class work, they are second to none.

I would urge all UKAR Members (and even Moderators!) to seek out our stand at various shows around the UK. Come and meet the team and ask questions, we'll be happy to answer! We will even have a selection of copies of the drawings on the stand for you to examine. If you wish, ask how you can become involved with TPM. After all, the vast majority of our stand staff are dedicated, knowledgeable volunteers (many of whom are enthusiasts).

Ross

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

The latest developments have tipped the balance for me; what used to be my "Vulcan allowance" (which I've had to spend on chocolate for the last couple of years... :biggrin: ) will henceforth be heading in TPM's direction, whenever I can spare a few pounds. :smile: For a start, I've joined the club, and I'm already engrossed in all the online magazine back-issues.
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Always thought this project would garner support and glad that it's going from strength to strength.

However, money talks and 'other stuff' walks and it will only fly if funded. As Bob Geldof might say: give them your money!