Radial & Trainer Fly-in VI, May 12-13th 2018.

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
Ian G
UKAR Staff

Re: Radial & Trainer Fly-in VI, May 12-13th 2018.

Post by Ian G »

So has the fly in had its date changed to 6th May? According to Facebook it's now to be held at Breighton??
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

That would be a blow if so. Much too far away for me.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

The 6 May event is a Real Aeroplane Club (RAC) event, and is only accessible to RAC members showing their ID cards:

Please note, unless otherwise stated all events held on the airfield are open to visiting aircraft (their crews and family/guests) and Real Aeroplane Club members (and their family/guests) only - pilots flying in to the events DO NOT NEED TO BE MEMBERS. Club members through the gate MUST CARRY THEIR MEMBERSHIP CARDS when on the airfield. Members guests are admitted on the understanding that their safety is the responsibility of the Club member with whom they have gained entry to the airfield.

06 May - Radial Fly-in (Real Aeroplane Club) - includes live Bristol Hercules and RR Merlin engine demonstrations

So perhaps this isn't the same event?

Beech18Boy

Post by Beech18Boy »

Hi All.

Sorry for the lack of updates.

We haven’t been quiet just been busy beavering away on a new location which we shall be announcing In April there is a new date in September and the new location is very central and a good history of Radial powered aircraft.

Cheers.

Andy.

Beech18Boy

Post by Beech18Boy »

Ian G wrote:So has the fly in had its date changed to 6th May? According to Facebook it's now to be held at Breighton??

Not our event!

This is being run by Real Aircraft Company. Would highly recommend visiting.
Last edited by Beech18Boy on Wed 07 Mar 2018, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Beech18Boy wrote:
Ian G wrote:So has the fly in had its date changed to 6th May? According to Facebook it's now to be held at Breighton??

No our event it is being run by Real Aircraft Company. Would highly recommend visiting.

Wot? It is OR it isn't?

Beech18Boy

Post by Beech18Boy »

Stagger2 wrote:
Beech18Boy wrote:

No our event it is being run by Real Aircraft Company. Would highly recommend visiting.

Wot? It is OR it isn't?

It is not an event Being run by us it is being run by the Real Aircraft Company 2 separate event.

Teaches me for typing half asleep all edited.

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

Ta for the update Andy

#tapestries

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

cg_341 wrote:So perhaps this isn't the same event?

Seems so.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

AlexC wrote:

Seems so.

I don't blame you AlexC & cg_341for still debating this, BUT there's a hidden clue in the 'Beech18Boy' reply of 7th March above!
You just have to make allowances for his appalling written English, even when awake? :sleepy:
My best guess:-
It is not an event being run by us. It is being run by the Real Aircraft Company. 2 separate events.
Teaches me for typing half asleep. All now edited correctly on my behalf! :dizzy:
One sincerely hopes air-show organisation is higher up the list of abilities, although there was little evidence ahead of the H-P-G debacle. :facepalm:

Beech18Boy

Post by Beech18Boy »

Stagger2 wrote:
AlexC wrote:

Seems so.

I don't blame you AlexC & cg_341for still debating this, BUT there's a hidden clue in the 'Beech18Boy' reply of 7th March above!
You just have to make allowances for his appalling written English, even when awake? :sleepy:
My best guess:-
It is not an event being run by us. It is being run by the Real Aircraft Company. 2 separate events.
Teaches me for typing half asleep. All now edited correctly on my behalf! :dizzy:
One sincerely hopes air-show organisation is higher up the list of abilities, although there was little evidence ahead of the H-P-G debacle. :facepalm:

Stagger2 I’m impressed you can spell every thought about being a teacher? You certainly sound like one. But please feel free to pm me with you concerns about the event from your years of experience of running similar events.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

[quote=Stagger2 I’m impressed you can spell every thought about being a teacher? You certainly sound like one. But please feel free to pm me with you concerns about the event from your years of experience of running similar events.[/quote]
Oh dear!.. Stagger2 I’m impressed you can spell everything. Ever thought about being a teacher? :whistle:
No! but I'm trying hard here? :facepalm:

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Stagger2 wrote:No! but I'm trying hard here? :facepalm:

If you have nothing pertinent to add to the discussion then please refrain from goading other members.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Beech18Boy wrote:
Stagger2 I’m impressed you can spell every thought about being a teacher? You certainly sound like one. But please feel free to pm me with you concerns about the event from your years of experience of running similar events.

I mean... I don't really care if you think Stagger2 is being an arse or not (yes, the corrections are a bit petty, imo, but you are the one that made (and continue to make) the errors in the first place); you have set yourself up on this account to be the public spokesperson of the RT&T Fly-In. That carries some gravitas, and some authority.

Snarky and sarcastic comments, regardless of whether they're deserved, justified, or simply help you to vent, are not the kind of thing you should be doing with your "event organiser" hat on. For however satisfying it felt to make that comment, I guarantee you that making such a comment publicly will have more damage to your event, because it makes you look easy to fluster, undiplomatic, and unprofessional. We've seen recently from some well-meaning aviation charities how much damage sarcastic and snarky comments can yield, regardless of how satisfying it may be to "bite back". Conversely, we've also seen how far honesty, friendliness, and openness gets organisations, too.

(at any rate, you could have avoided all of this by writing in clearly and unambiguously in the first place)

Add this to the late/delayed announcements, the lack of clear info, the confusion over events, and am I reading that the RT&T Fly-In has been put back until September? Or at any rate, if it's not September, then only announcing the venue 4-5 weeks before the event itself, giving previous little time to plan/budget, this event which showed such promise in 2017 doesn't give the feel of handling itself well in 2018.

I *want* this event to do well because it has a nice and unique feel about it, and last year was excellent, but that above comment on top of all of the rest of this year's build-up has put me to the point that I'm completely turned me off it, tbh.

Cole

Post by Cole »

Any news.. or is this dead in the water?
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Dead in the water, or as good as I'd say.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Perhaps that question prompted this?

[fb-post]https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=851822218339043&id=321263318061605[/fb-post]

Sad times, but I think I'm beyond caring. After a great '17 event, this has been false start after false start.

I happily concede that I'm thicker than the thickest of planks, but I've never heard "concrete regret" used as a form of remorse before.

rob68

Post by rob68 »

I like concrete regret. Might use that

st24

Post by st24 »

Tommy wrote:I happily concede that I'm thicker than the thickest of planks, but I've never heard "concrete regret" used as a form of remorse before.

Perhaps a tangential remark aimed at the Vampire runway shenanigans at Halfpenny Green.. :confused:

Cracking event last year. Shame.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Tommy wrote:I've never heard "concrete regret" used as a form of remorse before.

Just what I was thinking. Quite a bizarre expression to use that's for sure. In fact, don't think I've heard it used in any context for that matter.

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

I hope that still means that the flights we paid for last year and didn't get will still be valid for the next show then . . . .

#tapestries

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Ian G wrote:I hope that still means that the flights we paid for last year and didn't get will still be valid for the next show then . . . .

Concrete regret.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

It is with sincere regret that I cannot comment on the pseudo-english contained within this & every other communication from this 'alleged Organiser' As of 10th March 2018 I was told - If you have nothing pertinent to add to the discussion then please refrain from goading other members. Therefore I cannot risk even saying 'I told you so!' :wink:

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Stagger2 wrote:It is with sincere regret that I cannot comment on the pseudo-english contained within this & every other communication from this 'alleged Organiser' As of 10th March 2018 I was told - If you have nothing pertinent to add to the discussion then please refrain from goading other members. Therefore I cannot risk even saying 'I told you so!' :wink:

I solidly regret that you feel that way, but if it's pertinent to the discussion then the perceived risk is a non issue!

Though to say 'I told you so', you have to have said something previously to warrant that remark.... :wink:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Sigh, I'm tarmac disappointed.

In all seriousness, it really is a shame. 2017 was excellent. Take a year, work out what the problems are/were, refresh, if necessary bring on new people, and start afresh in 2019.

I would be really gravel-aggrieved if this event were to cease in its entirety.