RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
jason82wells

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by jason82wells »

jalfrezi wrote:I wouldn't bother with the blue entrance, I used that entrance last year to do what you're thinking of doing, big mistake! I was there well before the gate opened but so were hundreds of others, by the time I got through the gate there were already thousands inside and I ended up quite far into the green zone before I got a spot on the crowdline!

FRIAT this year for me...

Crikey - never again then! Now you mention your story I do seem to remember the blue entrance coming in for a lot of criticism so I'm glad I put this question out there so I could be reminded & put off. Red entrance it is for me :clap:

Getting back onto aircraft, each year the Turks bring over a 135 to tank the Soloturks but it only ever stays overnight before going back. Do they have a shortage of tankers in their fleet? Would be great if it could join the static park & it would avoid it doing two trips!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

We need Soloturk first before talking about tankers. And besides we've seen the 135s now, lets have the Soloturk Herc!
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

capercaillie wrote: And besides we've seen the 135s now, lets have the Soloturk Herc!

#SoloHürk

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Tommy wrote:
capercaillie wrote: And besides we've seen the 135s now, lets have the Soloturk Herc!

#SoloHürk

Yep. Great tail art too. :rock:

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Do they not have a Transall also painted?

harkins

Post by harkins »

I think that the specially painted Transall is the Turkish Stars display teams support aircraft (painted all over white and red). I don't think we've ever had the specially painted C-130 here have we? In 2014 SoloTurk had a plain C-130 arrive before the show and a plain C-160 pick up after the show judging by my photos. I'm really crossing my fingers for the Turkish Stars this year as I've never seen them and with no Patrouille Suisse this year we are missing some lovely F-5's.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

harkins wrote:I think that the specially painted Transall is the Turkish Stars display teams support aircraft (painted all over white and red). I don't think we've ever had the specially painted C-130 here have we? In 2014 SoloTurk had a plain C-130 arrive before the show and a plain C-160 pick up after the show judging by my photos. I'm really crossing my fingers for the Turkish Stars this year as I've never seen them and with no Patrouille Suisse this year we are missing some lovely F-5's.

The Turkish Stars liveried C-130 was on static in '11, SoloTurk flew. I couldn't agree more, I'd love to see the Turkish Stars back, its long overdue. Fingers crossed!

st24

Post by st24 »

They have a CN-235 too that we haven't seen...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

verreli

Post by verreli »

Has the promotional artwork been released for this year yet? I seem to remember that it was released in February in previous years.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

God, RIAT marketing, Just saw email saying "Stars confirmed for RAF 100" ooh i think Turkish Stars for RIAT, no its Alexandra Burke and Tom Fletcher for the RAF band concert at the Albert Hall. Disappointed.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

John boy

Post by John boy »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
harkins wrote:I think that the specially painted Transall is the Turkish Stars display teams support aircraft (painted all over white and red). I don't think we've ever had the specially painted C-130 here have we? In 2014 SoloTurk had a plain C-130 arrive before the show and a plain C-160 pick up after the show judging by my photos. I'm really crossing my fingers for the Turkish Stars this year as I've never seen them and with no Patrouille Suisse this year we are missing some lovely F-5's.

The Turkish Stars liveried C-130 was on static in '11, SoloTurk flew. I couldn't agree more, I'd love to see the Turkish Stars back, its long overdue. Fingers crossed!

Yes liveried C-130 was on static in '11

Flickr - Manx John

Sony A77ii Sony A77
SAL 70-400 G11
SAL Zeiss 24-70
Tamron 11-18
Uniden UBC125XLT

RIAT
Yeovilton

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

rdchawk wrote:God, RIAT marketing, Just saw email saying "Stars confirmed for RAF 100" ooh i think Turkish Stars for RIAT, no its Alexandra Burke and Tom Fletcher for the RAF band concert at the Albert Hall. Disappointed.

I was even more cynical.....
Saw the headline, followed by mention of Alexandra Burke, and my first thought was "Oh, god, not again....didn't they learn from last time" :lol:

Ah...just thought....I hope that doesn't give them any ideas.... :whistle: :biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

rdchawk wrote:God, RIAT marketing, Just saw email saying "Stars confirmed for RAF 100" ooh i think Turkish Stars for RIAT, no its Alexandra Burke and Tom Fletcher for the RAF band concert at the Albert Hall. Disappointed.

ditto!
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Brevet Cable wrote:Saw the headline, followed by mention of Alexandra Burke, and my first thought was "Oh, god, not again....didn't they learn from last time" :lol:
Has she learnt singing in the meantime, or is it another "throwing money away that could also be used for securing aircraft"?
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

What are you guys thoughts about what will be the RAF 100 special on the Friday ?

Im only going 1 day , and currently thinking the Saturday , but do you think the Friday royal event will be something special ? (whatever it is shame they cant do it the Saturday as well)

Cheers

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

We can only guess, but I think I'm expecting a big ceremonial flypast on Friday. I can't see that happening on all three days somehow.

Oh the anticipation, I type, trying not to let excitement for the 'big one' set my expectations too high..

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

Of course this doesn't mean the Royal Jordanian Falcons will be at RIAT this year but, it seems their North American tour might be postponed.

http://airshowstuff.com/v4/2018/royal-j ... r-in-2018/
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)

harkins

Post by harkins »

sithrity wrote:Of course this doesn't mean the Royal Jordanian Falcons will be at RIAT this year but, it seems their North American tour might be postponed.

http://airshowstuff.com/v4/2018/royal-j ... r-in-2018/

I'd be flabbergasted if they weren't at Fairford this year - especially as they've just been confirmed for Yeovilton.

Mr Benn wrote:What are you guys thoughts about what will be the RAF 100 special on the Friday ?

I'm only going 1 day , and currently thinking the Saturday , but do you think the Friday royal event will be something special ? (whatever it is shame they cant do it the Saturday as well)

Cheers

Wrexham Mackem wrote:We can only guess, but I think I'm expecting a big ceremonial flypast on Friday. I can't see that happening on all three days somehow.

Oh the anticipation, I type, trying not to let excitement for the 'big one' set my expectations too high..

I agree that it's going to largely involve a mass flypast in all likelihood. The question then is; do you value a one off event that could well be looking up at the underside of a succession of aircraft at a very safe altitude and that could be at the expense of some of the 'normal' airshow acts that will appear only on Saturday and Sunday? That is presuming that the special event is a flypast of sorts. You may get to see the Queen too. She'll be at a much lower altitude and much nearer the crowdline - and I bet Her Majesty will be allowed a gazebo at the front!

B_Tank88

Post by B_Tank88 »

Is it just me or are we all waiting for the announcements to pick up soon?

I feel for a RIAT line up, we a bit dry still for this time of year.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

B_Tank88 wrote:Is it just me or are we all waiting for the announcements to pick up soon?

I feel for a RIAT line up, we a bit dry still for this time of year.

And there's me thinking we've had more confirmed for this years show at this point of the year than we did previous. We've only just hit March as well!
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

harkins wrote:You may get to see the Queen too.

As I've posted before -- unlikely...it'll probably be Number One Son, and/or possibly one of the new batch.
아직도 숨어있다

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Brevet Cable wrote:

...and/or possibly one of the new batch.

Oh, exciting! Windsor Mk V. Wonder if they’ll be in a special scheme.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Wouldn’t surprise me if the ‘flypast’ gets opened up to all military that want to ‘salute’ the RAF.

A few years back for a summit in Newport, such a thing happened on a smaller scale,

But I think assets would be easier to get on the Friday for a simple flypast, then home for tea and cake, as opposed to over the weekend on the pan at FFD.

So possibly most of Europe could sent 2/3 aircraft for a fly by, up through the cad...(sorry I couldn’t resist) then home.

The Newport summit had, Typhoon, Mig 29, Mirage, F-15’s so I don’t think it’s a stretch to think that a mixed ‘celebration’ of the 100th anniversary in front of Whoever Royal would be a draw for the relevant air arms.

Meanwhile, wouldn’t the T50 and Silent Eagle be nice to have at FFD on display? Just thinking out loud. :grin:
Got to love Russianhardware

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Tommy wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:

...and/or possibly one of the new batch.

Oh, exciting! Windsor Mk V. Wonder if they’ll be in a special scheme.

Sort of gingerish ?
:biggrin:
아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Took a bit longer than I thought they would, but my 2 freebie RIAT 2018 stickers arrived today :up:
:biggrin:

Awaits "what freebie stickers?" comments
아직도 숨어있다