Pimms or Cotswold enclosure

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Minigill

Pimms or Cotswold enclosure

Post by Minigill »

After spending all afternoon searching for accommodation, its now time to book the tickets !

Doing a 2 day, one planned for static and wandering, other sat down in an enclosure all day ! Its our first visit to RIAT and after the cost of two days, enclosure & accommodation, prob the last one :)

Not much price difference between Pimms & Cotswold, is there anything that sets the two apart to consider ? Won't be taking pics as I am rubbish with long zooms and sold the bigger lenses ! So for a change, will sit back and enjoy the flying without starting into a viewfinder looking for a plane and then getting it out of focus ! :lol:

Are the director type chairs comfy ? Probably leaning towards Cotswold, but thought I would ask incase one is a better choice so to speak.

Thankyou :)

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Re: Pimms or Cotswold enclosure

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Neither are particularly aimed at the enthusiast - more about comfort in your day out - and if the show ground layout is the same as previous years they're located up at the runway end in the red zone. You'll get a decent - but nowhere near the best - view, although you're close to landings if they're using that end.

The Viewing Village is much more central, and the garden section is comfortable and laid back. You won't be pampered quite as much as the Cotswold or Pimms though.

Previously, Pimms has been the closest to crowd line end.

I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you go, its not that far to display centre.

Minigill

Post by Minigill »

Thanks for the info ! Hadn't thought about VV Garden seat area.... adds this to the consideration list :smile:

FullCarrot

Post by FullCarrot »

I tried the Pimms Flight Deck for the first time last year (my first ever enclosure), I found it to be very good indeed, the food provided was to a very good standard and the portions were enough to give me a full plate of food. Plenty of seating for everyone and nobody was shoving for space.
Own toilets for the enclosure so no queuing for a ridiculous amount of time to answer a call of nature.

Photography wise I actually thought it was brilliant, safe to say that I got some of the best photos i've ever taken at an airshow last year (must put them up on here at some point!) and having the little photog section to the right of the enclosure was great, unfortunately it was my first year using the Nikon 200-500mm and the poor chap next to me caught a couple of knocks to the bonce (if that was you I am deeply sorry sir!).

Good enough for me to have bought another ticket for the Pimms enclosure for this year.

Minigill

Post by Minigill »

Thanks for the info... you can ignore my PM FullCarrot, sorry, I didn't see your reply first !! Doh ! Might see you there !

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Bit of a thread hijack, but it is related....

Cotswold Enclosure -- Some time ago I asked what the score was with regards the tea & coffee, and the info was that it's essentially help yourself to as many cups as you want.

I notice now with regards to the food, they've now added "Breakfast Rolls available to buy in the morning".
My question, though, concerns the "relaxed Cotswold Lunch" -- is that fixed portions & one serving only, or is it a case of help yourself for however long it's being served ?
( And no, it's not because I'm a greedy so-and-so :lol: )
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

A bit of a thread resurrection....
The catering menus for the various enclosures have now been published.
I was looking at doing the Cotswold Enclosure on the Friday this year, but having seen the menu :
Persian spiced chicken with pomegranate & saffron
Shawarma style BBQ lamb shoulder with Lebanese spices
BBQ cauliflower steaks with chilli, caper & cumin sauce (V)

To be served with:

Roast new potatoes with sea salt, rosemary & thyme (V)
Cucumber, olive, orange & cress deli salad (V)
Carrot, courgette & quinoa herb tabbouleh. Za'Tar dressing (V)
Sweetcorn and green leaf cob salad (V)
Sliced olive ciabatta bread (V)

I think I'll give it a miss.
Shame they've gone all arty-farty, I can see others being put off by it.

As for Pimm's :
Picnic Meat Options:

Gloucester Ham with Rosemary & Wild Flower Honey
Royal Coronation Chicken Salad with a Masala, Mint & Greek Yogurt Dressing. Dates & Almonds
Mini Steak Pies
Mini Pork Pies
Quiche Lorraine Slices
Pinwheel Tortilla Wraps - two fillings of Chicken, Red Pepper & Rocket with Chermoula Sauce or Poached Salmon, Lemon Cream Cheese & Cress

Vegetarian Options:

Mini Leek & Cheddar Quiche (V)
Chickpea, Red Pepper & Spinach Puff Pastry Rolls (V)
Pinwheel Flatbreads with Feta, Sundried Tomato, Rocket & Fresh Pesto (V)

Salad Options:

Carrot, Courgette & Quinoa Herb Tabouleh
Spinach & Red Cabbage Deli Slaw
Potato Salad with Chervil, Chives, Capers & Dijon Creme Fraiche
Classic Caesar Salad with Olive Oil Croutes and Fresh Grated Parmesan
Greens & Seeds - Green Leaf Salad with Sprouted Seeds & Green Goddess Dressing
A selection of Ciabatta and Deli breads with Butter

Sides:

Pickled Onions, Cornichons & Marinated Olives
Lemon Aioli, Horseradish Sauce and Wiltshire Mustards
아직도 숨어있다

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Persian spiced chicken with pomegranate & saffron
Shawarma style BBQ lamb shoulder with Lebanese spices
BBQ cauliflower steaks with chilli, caper & cumin sauce (V)

To be served with:

Roast new potatoes with sea salt, rosemary & thyme (V)
Cucumber, olive, orange & cress deli salad (V)
Carrot, courgette & quinoa herb tabbouleh. Za'Tar dressing (V)
Sweetcorn and green leaf cob salad (V)
Sliced olive ciabatta bread (V)
I thought the Cotswold club was to celebrate the things coming from the Cotswolds, but... Persian spiced, Lebanese spices, Shawarma style, olive, Za'Tar dressing, ciabatta bread. Seems to be not the case. Anyway, I'll probably bring my own food or buy something from the food vendors in the service stations if I feel my stomach prefers that over missing a meal on the day.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

You seem to be stuffed ( :whistle: ) if you don't like - or can't eat - spicy food.
아직도 숨어있다

verreli

Post by verreli »

Begs the question... What's wrong with traditional British food? Quite ironic given the RAF100 theme this year that they serve foreign food. Another example of British cultural erosion.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Roast ham, Coronation Chicken, Steak Pie, Pork Pie, pickled onion, horseradish and mustard... what could be more traditionally British than that?

Supplemented with some interesting new stuff, because that's what us brits have always done, looked for exciting flavours from around the world to spice up our menus.

Sounds yummy to me, shame such cuisine isn't laid on in FRIAT, amongst our bacon butties and baguettes :drool: :lol:

verreli

Post by verreli »

Afternoon tea and cakes?... although fair enough. You pay your money and take your choice. I've always been partial to a spud thanks to Walter.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:Roast ham, Coronation Chicken, Steak Pie, Pork Pie, pickled onion, horseradish and mustard... what could be more traditionally British than that?

Except that's the Pimm's Enclosure, not the Cotswold one.
If the 'CE' was offering stuff like that I'd be happy.
아직도 숨어있다

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

"pomegranate & saffron"

Give me strength - cut and paste into the angry thread - sums up so much about where we are today. Desperate to be "cutting edge", "on trend", "ahead of the curve" and new when, as pointed out, we have a wonderful heritage of food and drink here in the UK. Utterly vacuous and pretencious at the same time.

After getting up at god knows when, queing, getting through security, doing static etc etc, "Boy, I'm hungry, tell you what, I could just do with some pomegranate and saffron chicken with quinoa herb tabbouleh." Talk about knowing your market!

Who comes up with this tosh?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

st24

Post by st24 »

Hear hear! I say get rid of the International out of RIAT...!
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Sometimes, I'm almost ashamed to have association with this place. "British cultural erosion" indeed... Or am I missing a bit of satire. I can't tell anymore.

(though, to be fair, in general terms the hamming up *ahem* of otherwise quite ordinary food is an bit of an irk of mine)

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

st24 wrote:Hear hear! I say get rid of the International out of RIAT...!

I smell a rat. :wat:

st24

Post by st24 »

Chrisse wrote:
st24 wrote:Hear hear! I say get rid of the International out of RIAT...!

I smell a rat. :wat:

:grin: In the ratatouille I suspect?!....
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

If they had any sense they'd go for a German or Belgian theme...
Wurst,schnitzel, frites, mayo, ketchup, curry sauce - food of the Gods. :drool: :biggrin:
아직도 숨어있다

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Hahahahahahahaha these reactions. Amazing.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Our environment is similar to Germany and so many times we have had cold/wet RIATs,

the German menu looks good to me. People want honest, wholesome that is tasty and filling. Last time I went with the Cotswold option, Im sure it was decent pork sausages on the menu with not a pomegranate in site. Sometimes, people think they need to change things just for the sake of it or to justify their roles.

Sausage and mash or fish and chips etc etc , if it aint broke, don't fix it.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Wissam24 wrote:Hahahahahahahaha these reactions. Amazing.

The thing about the CE & PE is that you're paying for the food whether you eat it or not.
Can't really fault what the PE is offering, but the CE appear to be aiming more at those who would go to the corporate-type enclosures rather than normal airshow-goers.
It's the sort of fare you'd have if you're going out for a meal or spending a few hours at an event, but as pbeardmore posted, it's not really what you want if you're spending 10-12 hours at a show where you'd spend about 4 hours of that wandering around.
아직도 숨어있다

verreli

Post by verreli »

Or alternatively you could have an American enclosure and have an open BBQ ala Mildenhall air fete (imported burgers from the USA, not from the UK)... or possibly an international enclosure and serve a variety of international cuisine. I wonder if the people who paid good money for the product knew what they were getting or, when they realise, will be a bit disappointed?
Last edited by verreli on Mon 19 Mar 2018, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

verreli wrote:Or alternatively you could have an American enclosure and have an open BBQ ala Mildenhall air fete (imported burgers from the USA, not from the UK)... or possibly an international enclosure and serve a variety of international cuisine. I wonder if the people who paid good money for the product knew what they were getting or, when they realise, will be a bit disappointed?

I would be very surprised if any are outraged by the absence of an exclusive British food menu, and anyone going expecting such would be a bit foolish given that pretty much any menu anywhere has a variety.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

verreli

Post by verreli »

Wissam24 wrote:
verreli wrote:Or alternatively you could have an American enclosure and have an open BBQ ala Mildenhall air fete (imported burgers from the USA, not from the UK)... or possibly an international enclosure and serve a variety of international cuisine. I wonder if the people who paid good money for the product knew what they were getting or, when they realise, will be a bit disappointed?

I would be very surprised if any are outraged by the absence of an exclusive British food menu, and anyone going expecting such would be a bit foolish given that pretty much any menu anywhere has a variety.

Perhaps Brevet, as the only one who has paid good money in this thread for CE, could comment? Is he delighted or perhaps meh...?