Pimms or Cotswold enclosure

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Brevet Cable

Re: Pimms or Cotswold enclosure

Post by Brevet Cable »

Not much in the way of variety when it comes to the CE's selection, though.....spicy, spicy, or hot & spicy.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

verreli

Post by verreli »

How about...

Finger sandwiches [smoked salmon & cream cheese, cucumber, ham hock and English mustard]
Trout pate with fresh crusty bread and red onion chutney
Potato salad with herb and lemon drizzle
Mini pork pies
Mini scotch eggs
Bacon-Cheddar mini quiches

Scones with jam, clotted cream and strawberries
Assorted small cakes
Cheese board with biscuits and grapes [Cheddar, Wensleydale, Blue + White Stilton]

Easily made for under £10 per head. Not to everyone's taste but shouts 'Cotswolds' and 'British'.

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

Wow.

For the record, the menus aren’t that spicy. Unless you class a korma as spicy.

As someone who has paid for similar hospitality at Duxford many times over the years, I’d far rather have such a menu than a burger/fish and chips/sausage and mash carb overload.

You also have to bear in mind the limitations of outdoor buffet catering. It’s difficult to achieve a decent fish and chips for hundreds of people in a marquee. Would people want such a meal if it was 30 degrees?

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

verreli wrote:How about...

Finger sandwiches [smoked salmon & cream cheese, cucumber, ham hock and English mustard]
Mini pork pies
Mini scotch eggs

Assorted small cakes
Cheese board with biscuits and grapes [Cheddar, Wensleydale, Blue + White Stilton]

Easily made for under £10 per head. Not to everyone's taste but shouts 'Cotswolds' and 'British'.

The majority of that sound vile, I’d go nowhere near a menu of that
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Gonzo230 wrote:Wow.

For the record, the menus aren’t that spicy. Unless you class a korma as spicy.

As someone who has paid for similar hospitality at Duxford many times over the years, I’d far rather have such a menu than a burger/fish and chips/sausage and mash carb overload.

You also have to bear in mind the limitations of outdoor buffet catering. It’s difficult to achieve a decent fish and chips for hundreds of people in a marquee. Would people want such a meal if it was 30 degrees?

Same answer as before - some people don't like / can't eat spicy food regardless of how spicy it is, not to mention those who wouldn't touch what's on the menu because it's "foreign muck".
It also doesn't quite match their statement :
A relaxed Cotswold Lunch, served from the marquee
( or have the Cotswolds been mysteriously relocated to the Middle East ? )

Whilst you express your preference for food, it shouldn't be forgotten that not everybody would agree -- there are plenty who would prefer plain old sausages, steak or chicken with chips/mash ( not to mention that "carb overload" is nonsense )

As for outdoor event catering.....whilst it differs from indoor event catering, it's not really that much of a black art.

Domvickery wrote:The majority of that sound vile, I’d go nowhere near a menu of that

A lot of that is on the Pimm's menu :lol:
아직도 숨어있다

st24

Post by st24 »

Can the RIAT website set up a traffic light system so as we know what kind of foods are being considered??
Kind of -
Persian spiced chicken-confirmed
BBQ Cauliflower steaks - confirmed
Finger sandwiches - invited
Scotch Eggs - invited
Fish and chips - declined
Sunday roast - declined
Etc etc ad nauseum....

:confused:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

disgruntled

Post by disgruntled »

Do we really have nothing better to moan about other than a menu which the majority of us won't even be eating from? And not just moan, but turn it into something to get offended by because it doesn't fit our vision of what it should represent? As for spicy food, wasn't Coronation Chicken "invented" for the Queen's Coronation to represent our diversity?

For what it's worth, I'd be more than happy with the food on offer, seems much more in keeping with our fully multi cultural society than fish and chips or pork pies!!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

It's not Thursday yet, so we can't have a moan/happy-clap about what aircraft have been announced yet.
And this is Britain....it's as traditional to moan about food as it is to moan about the weather. :lol:

Can't speak for others, but I'm moaning about it because I was going to purchase CE tickets this year.
아직도 숨어있다

verreli

Post by verreli »

disgruntled wrote:Do we really have nothing better to moan about other than a menu which the majority of us won't even be eating from? And not just moan, but turn it into something to get offended by because it doesn't fit our vision of what it should represent? As for spicy food, wasn't Coronation Chicken "invented" for the Queen's Coronation to represent our diversity?

For what it's worth, I'd be more than happy with the food on offer, seems much more in keeping with our fully multi cultural society than fish and chips or pork pies!!

Actually it's a very interesting thread that says a lot about perception, identity and prejudice. When I've been to China on business and eaten things I couldn't identify, it was about sharing in their culture. Similarly with India where the curries taste nothing like you get in a UK Indian takeaway. In South Africa it was steaks such as Kudu, Mexico fantastic tacos, etc, etc, etc. All these nationalities and many more, when I've hosted them in the UK and given them a choice where to dine, typically choose something British such as a pub meal because they want to share in their perception of our culture. If you think you are being international and multicultural because you eat spicy food, you are wrong and it says more about the effectiveness of systemic media rhetoric and a successful political agenda. Many British food traditions have their origins overseas; fish and chips wouldn't be much without Sir Walters potato from Peru, afternoon tea wouldn't exist without Indian tea. I've no doubt they will continue to evolve. My point with the Cotswold enclosure is more about marketing. You only get away with mismarketing something once. As for me, we also considered CE but have now decided to take a picnic.

Brevet - I hope you get a good spot to watch the show and don't go hungry. Roll on July and good weather.

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

Brevet Cable wrote: It also doesn't quite match their statement :
A relaxed Cotswold Lunch, served from the marquee( or have the Cotswolds been mysteriously relocated to the Middle East ? )

Well, I'm not sure. I would imagine such food is consumed quite often in the gastropubs and restaurants of the wealthy Cotswolds!!!!

Whilst you express your preference for food, it shouldn't be forgotten that not everybody would agree -- there are plenty who would prefer plain old sausages, steak or chicken with chips/mash ( not to mention that "carb overload" is nonsense)

Quite, one was just expressing one's own opinion. That doesn't invalidate those of others. I think some here are missing, to use a term I despise, the 'aspirational' aspect of such hospitality though.

As for outdoor event catering.....whilst it differs from indoor event catering, it's not really that much of a black art.

Again, not disputing that. However, there are types of foods more suited to a large buffet in the middle of summer (on an operational airfield!) than others.

disgruntled

Post by disgruntled »

verreli wrote:
disgruntled wrote:Do we really have nothing better to moan about other than a menu which the majority of us won't even be eating from? And not just moan, but turn it into something to get offended by because it doesn't fit our vision of what it should represent? As for spicy food, wasn't Coronation Chicken "invented" for the Queen's Coronation to represent our diversity?

Actually it's a very interesting thread that says a lot about perception, identity and prejudice. When I've been to China on business and eaten things I couldn't identify, it was about sharing in their culture. Similarly with India where the curries taste nothing like you get in a UK Indian takeaway. In South Africa it was steaks such as Kudu, Mexico fantastic tacos, etc, etc, etc. All these nationalities and many more, when I've hosted them in the UK and given them a choice where to dine, typically choose something British such as a pub meal because they want to share in their perception of our culture. If you think you are being international and multicultural because you eat spicy food, you are wrong and it says more about the effectiveness of systemic media rhetoric and a successful political agenda. Many British food traditions have their origins overseas; fish and chips wouldn't be much without Sir Walters potato from Peru, afternoon tea wouldn't exist without Indian tea. I've no doubt they will continue to evolve. My point with the Cotswold enclosure is more about marketing. You only get away with mismarketing something once. As for me, we also considered CE but have now decided to take a picnic.

Brevet - I hope you get a good spot to watch the show and don't go hungry. Roll on July and good weather.

I understand your point verreli, and it is indeed valid. However I'm not quite sure how it fits with what is being discussed. Eating spicy food certainly does not make you multicultural, you are absolutely right! However, a menu such as the one on offer does reflect the multicultural influences that now make up our identity. And as for mismarketing, well it is a lunch in the Cotswolds and I assume they will be using locally sourced produce, from the Cotswolds. I would imagine that this more than equates to a "Cotswolds Lunch".

Perception, identity and prejudice are all about your own perception, identity and prejudice...

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Wissam24 wrote:
verreli wrote:Or alternatively you could have an American enclosure and have an open BBQ ala Mildenhall air fete (imported burgers from the USA, not from the UK)... or possibly an international enclosure and serve a variety of international cuisine. I wonder if the people who paid good money for the product knew what they were getting or, when they realise, will be a bit disappointed?

I would be very surprised if any are outraged by the absence of an exclusive British food menu, and anyone going expecting such would be a bit foolish given that pretty much any menu anywhere has a variety.

That may be, but as Brevet points out, if you're spice intolerant as unfortunately I am, bring some sarnies! :sick:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Last year's CE menu, for comparison :

Chicken Barbecoa - Smokey BBQ Chicken Pieces with Paprika and Maple Rub
Bourbon Glazed Beef Brisket
BBQ Cauliflower Steaks - Caper and Cumin Sauce (v)

Crispy Herb Diced Potatoes
Spiced Couscous Salad with Roast Mediterranean Vegetables and Chickpeas
Golden Beetroot Slaw
Caesar Salad - Shredded Cos Leaf, Parmesan, Croûtes and Caesar Dressing
Selection of Focaccia Breads
아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

capercaillie wrote:That may be, but as Brevet points out, if you're spice intolerant as unfortunately I am, bring some sarnies! :sick:

Ditto if you have certain medical issues or have undergone certain surgical procedures, where you get a nice long list of 'dos & don'ts' about what you can eat & drink.
아직도 숨어있다

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

verreli wrote:How about...

Mini pork pies
Mini scotch eggs

Assorted small cakes

It was impossible not to read this in Alan Partridge's voice...
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

st24

Post by st24 »

Brevet Cable wrote:BBQ Cauliflower Steaks - Caper and Cumin Sauce

Personally I wouldnt go anywhere near Caper's Cumin sauce.... :sick: :joystick: :sweat:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

st24 wrote:

Personally I wouldnt go anywhere near Caper's Cumin sauce.... :sick: :joystick: :sweat:

:grin: All the critics said I offered a good range! :hypno: :dunno:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

verreli

Post by verreli »

disgruntled wrote:
I understand your point verreli, and it is indeed valid. However I'm not quite sure how it fits with what is being discussed. Eating spicy food certainly does not make you multicultural, you are absolutely right! However, a menu such as the one on offer does reflect the multicultural influences that now make up our identity. And as for mismarketing, well it is a lunch in the Cotswolds and I assume they will be using locally sourced produce, from the Cotswolds. I would imagine that this more than equates to a "Cotswolds Lunch".

Perception, identity and prejudice are all about your own perception, identity and prejudice...

Actually, multiculturalism is a relatively recent thing. Twenty or so years ago it would have been dismissed as absurd however constant broadcasting by the media and politicians with a specific agenda have made it common place so it's now all the youngsters know. Interestingly immigrant nations such as the USA and Australia don't consider themselves as multicultural; they celebrate a single identity. Question is, why do we have this in the UK?

As for locally sourced produce. I don't think Persian spices, pomegranate, saffron, Lebanese spices, capers or cumin will be sourced from the Cotswolds. If they do, they're stupid because they can all be imported cheaply. My take is that many people don't want to appear to be racist because of the food choices. Again, that's something the establishment have designed.

I think this is a bit off topic now. Bring on Thursday so we can comment on the attendance. I'm hoping for a few foreign machines, perhaps an Iranian F-14 to add some Persian spice. :wink:
Last edited by verreli on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

st24 wrote:Can the RIAT website set up a traffic light system so as we know what kind of foods are being considered??
Kind of -
Persian spiced chicken-confirmed
BBQ Cauliflower steaks - confirmed
Finger sandwiches - invited
Scotch Eggs - invited
Fish and chips - declined
Sunday roast - declined
Etc etc ad nauseum....

:confused:

"We are happy to host a delegation of sushi and chicken teriyaki this year"

st24

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:
st24 wrote:

:grin: All the critics said I offered a good range!

Yes, you always put on a nice spread... :shock: :grin:

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

verreli wrote:Begs the question... What's wrong with traditional British food? Quite ironic given the RAF100 theme this year that they serve foreign food. Another example of British cultural erosion.

Don't worry, I'm sure there'll be a Brexit option on the menu for you and fellow small-minded Little Englanders.

A trough of baked beans and a couple of Union Jack napkins ought to do it.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Don't worry, I'm sure there'll be a Brexit option on the menu for you and fellow small-minded Little Englanders.

That's a different debate than how you brand a hospitality enclosure or are you suggesting that next year RIAT have a 'Brexit enclosure' with a menu option of baked beans? 51.89% of the voting public may be interested.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

verreli wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:

That's a different debate than how you brand a hospitality enclosure or are you suggesting that next year RIAT have a 'Brexit enclosure' with a menu option of baked beans? 51.89% of the voting public may be interested.

If the XH558 supporting brigade got wind of it, it'd be a lot more than 51.89%

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
If the XH558 supporting brigade got wind of it, it'd be a lot more than 51.89%

55.8%?
Honestly this is getting ridiculous. What has a menu for an airshow got to do with politics?
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Branding is all about consistancy. To choose to call the enclosure "Cotswold" and then have a Persian themed menu is just silly. Like having a Persian Bizarre experience and serving bangers and mash
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”