de Havilland Aircraft Museum Nightshoot

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

de Havilland Aircraft Museum Nightshoot

Post by Wissam24 »

Yesterday was pretty special at the de Havilland Aircraft Museum. We wheeled out into the open not only the Mosquito Prototype but also the Mk 35, and brought the FB.VI to the front of the hangar as well. The day also saw the Museum's first ever nightshoot, though with pretty minimal success (that is to say, no one turned up). However, this meant that we got some pretty free, uncluttered shots. I also went down and did some light painting with the Museum's Heron and HS125. Wheeling out the beasts was pretty epic work but was worth it in the end - even just getting to clamber all around them was a delight.

I think it was a learning experience for all involved and I've certainly given some feedback as to how I think it should have been better advertised and had more on offer.

Imagede Havilland Mosquito B.35 by Sam Wise, on Flickr

ImageDe Havilland Museum Mosquitos (Prototype, B.35 and FB.VI) by Sam Wise, on Flickr

Imagede Havilland Mosquito Prototype by Sam Wise, on Flickr

Imagede Havilland Mosquito Prototype and Sea Vixen by Sam Wise, on Flickr

Image_MG_6452.jpg by Sam Wise, on Flickr

Imagede Havilland Mosquito FB.VI by Sam Wise, on Flickr

Imagede Havilland Mosquito FB.35 and FB.VI by Sam Wise, on Flickr

Imagede Havilland Mosquito FB.VI by Sam Wise, on Flickr

Imagede Havilland Heron by Sam Wise, on Flickr

Imagede Havilland 125 by Sam Wise, on Flickr

Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

K213

Re: de Havilland Aircraft Museum Nightshoot

Post by K213 »

Shame the nightshoot was not a success. I did see the adverts, however the cost (£50.00 if I recall correctly) for what was aircraft were perceived to be available was prohibitive, even though they were the Mosquito, plus the day the event was staged meant it was of limited appeal.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

I knew they were having one however hadn't seen any adverts for it, anywhere!

To see they'd priced it at £50 is stunning, although that does explain why they weren't interested in Threshold's help and pricing...

wallace

Post by wallace »

What did you get for your £50, that's £38 on top of a £12 entrance fee?

There's a fine line between raising money for a good cause and apparent profiteering, which puts people off attending such events.
The TLE events that I have attended have cost slightly more but they put in a lot of effort to make the night a success.

In comparison, the DGAM shoot that I attended last month cost was less than half that and I got to shoot a lot more than four aircraft.
One other point, organise a night shoot after the clocks change, the season is over by that point, it should have been done earlier.

The bottom line is like all these events it is worth what you want to pay for it and some are worth it more than others.

mozzer

Post by mozzer »

I actually visited the museum on Saturday, was great place with good exhibits but I didn't see any mention at all of a Nightshoot.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Personally I never knew it was on.

Would I be interested in attending? Yes I would have been but the background looks too cluttered for my tastes.

Shame really.
Got to love Russianhardware

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

These events always seem be be arranged for the chosen few. May I ask where it was advertised that two Mosquito's would be parked outside for photography, night or day ?
Disappointed for the museum that this event was not a success, please do not be put off by arranging it again.
Personally the night shoot holds no interest for me but the chance to photograph the prototype Mosquito out doors would be greatly appreciated.
I remember asking the museum this question, via email, last year. Never received a reply.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

I actually went to the museum on Sunday and the prototype was out then too. The biggest issue I could see is there really isn't a lot of room and you'd never get a clean shot even with just one Mosquito outside, let alone two.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

alisdairanderson

Post by alisdairanderson »

DOUGHNUT wrote:These events always seem be be arranged for the chosen few. May I ask where it was advertised that two Mosquito's would be parked outside for photography, night or day ?
Disappointed for the museum that this event was not a success, please do not be put off by arranging it again.
Personally the night shoot holds no interest for me but the chance to photograph the prototype Mosquito out doors would be greatly appreciated.
I remember asking the museum this question, via email, last year. Never received a reply.

I certainly hadn't seen any advertising for this.... I think the price point for the night shoot is significantly higher than I would have been looking to pay (given the restricted space at the site), but even just advising they are outside in the daytime would hopefully draw in more visitors, and every admission-fee is money in the bank.... To anyone from the museum..... if you are able to try this again, please advertise it on here!

Thanks
Alisdair

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

With the advent of more and more night / day shoots, maybe UKAR should have a specific section where posters can post their events, and we can all see without having to guess etc.

I’d like this to incorporate private fields, RAF shoots, and even, perhaps draw downs or squadron disbandment ceremony and shoots abroad all under the one roof.

Would help everyone on here and the organisers of such events I think.
Cheers
Dave
Got to love Russianhardware

Webby74

Post by Webby74 »

Number 20 would look great in black and white. It would be good if possible to have a dedicated area with nice clear backgrounds to place the aircraft in for day/night shoots. This would increase the appeal of photographic events

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Looking at Google-earth it's only possible to get clean shots against the sunset if they have kind neighbours, removable fence-sections & much, much harder ground than after the recent rains.
It's sad to say really. I can't abide tat, scrap, steps, bombs facing the wrong way, infrastructure or pretty much anything in the background of a 'normal' ground shots. Much less at a poorly advertised night photo-shoot where you NEED the background clear for effect!
Sorry, irrespective of the subject matter it's very much wrong place, wrong time! :sad: