London Flypast 10 July - up to 100 aircraft

Aviation sightings, roadrunners, exercises and flypasts
PirateTrickster

London Flypast 10 July - up to 100 aircraft

Post by PirateTrickster »

Hi all,

Apologies if there's a thread for this somewhere although I couldn't find it. I wasn't quite expecting up to (and I realise "up to" is ambiguous and could mean 20) 100 aircraft. I would assume that would need to include vintage aircraft from the likes of Shuttleworth if there's gonna be that many?

9 x Red Arrows
4 x Typhoons
4 x Tonka's
4 x Chinook
1 x A400
1 x Voyager
7 x BBMF (Lanc, Dak + 5 fighters)

Gets to 30 - some way short of the proposed 100.

Thoughts?

cg_341

Re: London Flypast 10 July - up to 100 aircraft

Post by cg_341 »

I think we can expect to see something along the lines of...

AW109
2 Chinooks
2 Pumas

2 Prefect
2 Texan II
4 Tucano
4 Hawk T.1
4 Hawk T.2
2 Phenom

Voyager + 2 Typhoons

Hercules
Atlas
Globemaster

Rivet Joint + 2 Tornados

Sentinel + 2 Tornados

4 Typhoons
4 Tornados
2 Lightning

'100' formation of Typhoons (24 I think?)

Red Arrows (9)

BBMF (7)

Which gets us up to 85. I really doubt we'll see civilian aircraft flown in formation with military aircraft over central London.

PirateTrickster

Post by PirateTrickster »

==> so bring the wide angle lens?

kinglear27

Post by kinglear27 »

cg_341 wrote:I think we can expect to see something along the lines of...

AW109
2 Chinooks
2 Pumas

2 Prefect
2 Texan II
4 Tucano
4 Hawk T.1
4 Hawk T.2
2 Phenom

Voyager + 2 Typhoons

Hercules
Atlas
Globemaster

Rivet Joint + 2 Tornados

Sentinel + 2 Tornados

4 Typhoons
4 Tornados
2 Lightning

Red Arrows (9)

BBMF (7)

Which gets us up to 85. I really doubt we'll see civilian aircraft flown in formation with military aircraft over central London.

Maybe one of the RAF BAe 146s too?

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

i'd personally like to see some other nations take part. (i know one reply will be 'if you want to see that go to RIAT the following week'). Similar to Bastille day last year where the US flew over Paris. I'd like to see something like that, like someone said on here previously 'like your friends coming to celebrate your birthday'. Would like to see the final flypast as the reds in formation with something not just there big battle formation? :smile:

verreli

Post by verreli »

The only special feature of that is the 100 formation. Can we expect that at RIAT on Friday?

verreli

Post by verreli »

A 'RAF' formation similar to the E2R formation in 2012 would be 11+10+8=29 aircraft.

effects

Post by effects »

I would have thought a few '9 ships' will be involved, Tucano, Tornado, Hawk etc
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

If the date is guaranteed, and there are sufficient working weekends for the Engineers, there may be a chance of an E-3D being there as well.
Canon systems

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

effects wrote:I would have thought a few '9 ships' will be involved, Tucano, Tornado, Hawk etc

Will we still have 9 x Tornado by then? Even without an air-spare it's a tall-order! All assuming they're no longer required for 'Shady Op's' :whistle:

Fournier

Post by Fournier »

A long way from the multi-type flyovers back in the days when we actually had an Air Force to be reckoned with. Must break Her Majesty's heart to see how depleted her armed forces have become.

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

Fournier wrote:A long way from the multi-type flyovers back in the days when we actually had an Air Force to be reckoned with. Must break Her Majesty's heart to see how depleted her armed forces have become.

Oh get over it. It isn’t the early 20th Century. We aren’t going to war with a large European nation. We haven’t got an Empire to control. The only “conflicts” we’ve been in recently, we have chosen to be in , against second tier opponents.

Russia and China are not going to start anything soon.

Other than your national pride, explain why we need more than we have now. We are still one of the strongest western countries, especially as we are a tiny little island surrounded by friendly nations.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

kinglear27 wrote:
cg_341 wrote:I think we can expect to see something along the lines of...

AW109
2 Chinooks
2 Pumas

2 Prefect
2 Texan II
4 Tucano
4 Hawk T.1
4 Hawk T.2
2 Phenom

Voyager + 2 Typhoons

Hercules
Atlas
Globemaster

Rivet Joint + 2 Tornados

Sentinel + 2 Tornados

4 Typhoons
4 Tornados
2 Lightning

Red Arrows (9)

BBMF (7)

Maybe one of the RAF BAe 146s too?

I think at the start of the year there was a tweet from a Tucano squadron regarding practicing for this flypast as a big formation?
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

pb643

Post by pb643 »

ericbee123 wrote:
Fournier wrote:A long way from the multi-type flyovers back in the days when we actually had an Air Force to be reckoned with. Must break Her Majesty's heart to see how depleted her armed forces have become.

Oh get over it. It isn’t the early 20th Century. We aren’t going to war with a large European nation. We haven’t got an Empire to control. The only “conflicts” we’ve been in recently, we have chosen to be in , against second tier opponents.

Other than your national pride, explain why we need more than we have now. We are still one of the strongest western countries, especially as we are a tiny little island surrounded by friendly nations.

Have you seen the news?

BEIRUT (Reuters) - Russia’s ambassador to Lebanon said any U.S. missiles fired at Syria would be shot down and the launch sites targeted, a step that could trigger a major escalation in the Syrian war.

UK and French military also rumoured to be involved.
Last edited by pb643 on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Before Christmas there was a formation practice of Typhoons, just the one photo on FC:

http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=155904&p=955063&hilit=typhoon+100+formation#p955063

I have a feeling it was 18 or 19 aircraft in total, but happy to be corrected.

NTG1610

Post by NTG1610 »

pb643

Post by pb643 »

NTG1610 wrote:It will not look like this though

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DafoEfJX0AA2CwD.jpg:large

No, it will not! :lol:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

pb643 wrote:Have you seen the news?

BEIRUT (Reuters) - Russia’s ambassador to Lebanon said any U.S. missiles fired at Syria would be shot down and the launch sites targeted, a step that could trigger a major escalation in the Syrian war.

And given the latest tweets made by the orange sociopath and the gullibility of HMG, other than the training aircraft the majority of the RAF may be otherwise engaged by the time the flypast's due to take place.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

pb643 wrote:
ericbee123 wrote:

Have you seen the news?

Russia threatening to defend a partner IF WE ATTACK them. We would be the aggressors. Simple solution. Don’t bomb Syria and we won’t be at war with Russia.

Russia couldn’t care less if we’ve got 500 Typhoons or 120 or if we’ve got 1,000 tanks or 250. They are more concerned about our ability to chuck Instant Sunshine around. Always have been.

Sorry to go off topic.

I think that RAF 100 Flypast sounds good. I will be trying to make it down to That London for it. Unless we have been stupid and kicked off a war with Russia that neither side can win.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Ok, so glossing over all the why do we have so few aircraft bull, let's get back to it...

Updated based on some helpful comments...

AW109
2 Chinooks
2 Pumas

2 Prefect
2 Texan II
4 Hawk T.1
4 Hawk T.2
2 Phenom

9 Tucano formation

Voyager + 2 Typhoons

BAE146
Hercules
Atlas
Globemaster

Rivet Joint + 2 Tornados

Sentinel + 2 Tornados

4 Typhoons
4 Tornados
2 Lightning

Red Arrows (9)

BBMF (7)

That's 91 aircraft...

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

BBMF have 12 aircraft, according to the RAF website -
the Flight operates six Spitfires, two Hurricane Mk 2Cs, a Lancaster as well as a C47 Dakota and two Chipmunk aircraft (primarily used for training)

F-35s are all still in CONUS, aren't they? If so, will they drag any over here just for that?
You missed out the King Airs, Shadow R1s, Tutors, Griffins, Junos, Jupiters, Squirrels & Vigilant ( or have some of those already been binned? )
아직도 숨어있다

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Brevet Cable wrote:F-35s are all still in CONUS, aren't they? If so, will they drag any over here just for that?

The first ones are due at Marham in the first week of June IIRC.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Brevet Cable wrote:BBMF have 12 aircraft, according to the RAF website -
the Flight operates six Spitfires, two Hurricane Mk 2Cs, a Lancaster as well as a C47 Dakota and two Chipmunk aircraft (primarily used for training)

F-35s are all still in CONUS, aren't they? If so, will they drag any over here just for that?
You missed out the King Airs, Shadow R1s, Tutors, Griffins, Junos, Jupiters, Squirrels & Vigilant ( or have some of those already been binned? )

Hm. Weren't the Squirrels due for retirement at the end of March?

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Brevet Cable wrote:BBMF have 12 aircraft, according to the RAF website -

Do the BBMF have 12 pilots/crew?

King Airs - all retired
Shadows - unlikely!
Tutors - single engine no dispensation (for overflight of central London)
Griffins - all retired
Junos - I don't think we'll see them involved
Jupiters - as above
Squirrels - all retired
Vigilant - single engine no dispensation

As LNSE says, there will be F-35s here by the time of the flypast, all going well.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Someone should tell the RAF, then, because their website still lists the King Airs, Griffins & Squirrels on strength.
아직도 숨어있다