DC-3 or C-47

Aviation sightings, roadrunners, exercises and flypasts
Vixen1

DC-3 or C-47

Post by Vixen1 »

Sand and green cammo heading NE at about 5000ft 12.40bst nrar Mansfield Notts, not showing on ABS. Unusual. Not close enough to id actual aircraft .

Amp

Re: DC-3 or C-47

Post by Amp »

Possibly the Indian one? See 21 March message in Warbirds.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

That'll be the Indian Air Force HF Dakota out of Coventry, which may or may not be at RAF Benson for a while later today?

Vixen1

Post by Vixen1 »

Thanks.. just wish I had time to get out the camera. Can't believe I was out eating lunch in the garden at the time!

roger

Post by roger »

It landed at Benson at 14:40, from Coventry via the scenic route, which included Kidderminster, Bristol and Swindon!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

Yeah its the Indian AFHF Dakota, VP905, on its way from Coventry to Benson while they continue to get the required testing in. Left CVT at about 1220, should be off to India later this month.

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

Somebody bribe them to stay in the UK for the season! any Dak is a Beauty, this one is pretty unique, I,d bribe them myself if I wasn't broke... Any Dak lovers out there with deep pockets? I know its only a paint job, but a B good'un! Thanks for the heads up Cameron.

AMB

Post by AMB »

tuska2 wrote:Somebody bribe them to stay in the UK for the season! any Dak is a Beauty, this one is pretty unique, I,d bribe them myself if I wasn't broke... Any Dak lovers out there with deep pockets? I know its only a paint job, but a B good'un! Thanks for the heads up Cameron.

I have heard it will be coming to RIAT!
Adrian

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

The link says flying legends or RIAT. It would be more at home at flying legends I would think. Unless RIAT cannot get any other Indian aircraft to help commemorate the fact that Indian pilots flew in the second World War
Last edited by rdchawk on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Berf

Post by Berf »

While of course a number of Indian pilots flew with the RAF in the second world war - none were in the Battle of Britain.

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

rdchawk wrote:The link says flying legends or RIAT. It would be more at home at flying legends I would think. Unless RIAT cannot get any other Indian aircraft to help commemorate the fact that Indian pilots flew in the second World War

Link? I had asked the IAF directly when it was first announced they were receiving the Dak, and they suggested it would be flown over around April. Anything to delay this to enable it to appear at RIAT would be most welcome!

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

IP1960 wrote:
rdchawk wrote:The link says flying legends or RIAT. It would be more at home at flying legends I would think. Unless RIAT cannot get any other Indian aircraft to help commemorate the fact that Indian pilots flew in the second World War

Link? I had asked the IAF directly when it was first announced they were receiving the Dak, and they suggested it would be flown over around April. Anything to delay this to enable it to appear at RIAT would be most welcome!

See brevet post.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Oldtower

Post by Oldtower »

IP1960 wrote:

IP1960 - Pop me a Private message with who you contacted within IAF - as I am also going to contact Benson direct about this aircraft, to see if I can entice it to pop over to Abingdon for our show weekend!

AMB

Post by AMB »

Oldtower wrote:
IP1960 wrote:

IP1960 - Pop me a Private message with who you contacted within IAF - as I am also going to contact Benson direct about this aircraft, to see if I can entice it to pop over to Abingdon for our show weekend!

Neil - too late I'm afraid. I was at Benson yesterday as a guest of the Indian High Commission, who held a hand-over ceremony for this aircraft to the Indian Air Force.
It will not be coming to Abingdon, RIAT or anywhere else, but is departing for India imminently. I was told they cannot delay the flight and risk arriving in the monsoon season.
Adrian

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

AMB wrote:
Neil - too late I'm afraid. I was at Benson yesterday as a guest of the Indian High Commission, who held a hand-over ceremony for this aircraft to the Indian Air Force.
It will not be coming to Abingdon, RIAT or anywhere else, but is departing for India imminently. I was told they cannot delay the flight and risk arriving in the monsoon season.

Did they suggest what day that would be? Its due to come back to coventry to pick up spares before leaving for India.

Cheers

Andover

Post by Andover »

Just taken off from Benson.

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

Turns out VP905 arrived yesterday afternoon and was tucked away into the hangar almost immediately. Here it is seen today:

ImageParashurama by Cameron Sys, on Flickr

It is planned to depart for India within the next 48 hours

Andover

Post by Andover »

Thanks for that.

According to Facebook, it was departing for India from Benson yesterday! :question:

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

That was the flight from Benson to Coventry to pick up spares. Will be departing from here, looking like tomorrow.

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Thanks for the heads-up Cameron, any idea of a rough time? Will have to keep my eyes and ears peeled if out and about tomorrow :smile:

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

Sorry I'm not sure as I won't be at the airport tomorrow. Could be any time, depends on a few different factors and clearances I believe

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

CameronSys wrote:Sorry I'm not sure as I won't be at the airport tomorrow. Could be any time, depends on a few different factors and clearances I believe

Thanks for the quick response!

Looking forward to seeing that wonderful Vampire up and about again - at Ragley in a few weeks if not before :biggrin:

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

Shame it couldn't stay in the UK for a while, presumably it won't be flown/displayed during the Monsoon season they want to get home to beat, so I hoped there
was a chance it would indeed stay, as it will probably remain Hangar bound for a while once home. Anyhow, the very best of Luck to them and a safe journey!

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Very windy out at present, if today it could be later afternoon when the winds died down.