Duxford Sea Venom - location?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
iainpeden

Duxford Sea Venom - location?

Post by iainpeden »

I volunteer at Duxford and we get many interesting conversations.

There was a U3A party from Swindon there yesterday and late in the afternoon I was chatting to a lady in her later years who was looking for a Meteor and a Sea venom; she had been in the WRENs and had flown in both a number of times.

I was able to show her the Meteor in "our" hangar (4) and took her over to see the Sea Venom in Hangar 3- and there it was gone. I asked around but could get no info on what had happened to it. A Google search hasn't helped so any ideas?

I'd like to try to get in touch with her to let her know.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

rockfordstone

Re: Duxford Sea Venom - location?

Post by rockfordstone »

a quick search on google seems to suggest it has been in the Polish Aviation Museum in Krakow for at least a couple of years. that said, i'm sure there is someone more knowledgeable than me that will know for sure

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

It was acquired by the Polish Aviation Museum in Krakow, along with the Amiot Toucan (Ju52), where it is now on display.

Hope this helps!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Many thanks- I'll now try to let the lady know through U3A. Her buddy (also lady in her later years) started talking about ejector seats in early Meteors not being powerful enough to clear the tail and then let on that she had flown in Vampires and had been a loadmaster on RAF Comets and VC-10s. I took a photo of the pair of them in front of the Vampire.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Speaking of missing airframes I visited Duxford on Wednesday and was surprised to see the F100 has disappeared from the American Air Museum ?

Marathon Milkshake

Post by Marathon Milkshake »

Its gone back to the states with the T-33
Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Marathon Milkshake wrote:Its gone back to the states with the T-33

Thanks for info,that’s a shame,was the T33 in there aswell,jeez my memories bad lol!
Assuming they were only on loan for so many years?

AMB

Post by AMB »

Why is Duxford losing all these airframes? What on earth would the Polish Aviation Museum want with a Sea Venom?? :wat:
Adrian

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The Amiot Toucan and Venom left 5 years ago. Do keep up. :biggrin:

They were sold as they don't fit in with the IWM policy of collecting 'Large Objects' that took part in war's/conflicts. Same reason the Typhoon, which is a development aircraft, is being replaced by the Tornado GR4 which has operational history.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

Pen Pusher wrote:The Amiot Toucan and Venom left 5 years ago. Do keep up. :biggrin:

They were sold as they don't fit in with the IWM policy of collecting 'Large Objects' that took part in war's/conflicts. Same reason the Typhoon, which is a development aircraft, is being replaced by the Tornado GR4 which has operational history.

Brian

The Sea Venom took part in the Suez Conflict so does that mean it should qualify?
Ken

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The Sea Venom that was at Duxford was a trials aircraft and never saw Squadron use.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Amp

Post by Amp »

Iain, it is disheartening that you could not find anyone at Duxford who knew of the aircraft. I thought that the uniformed chaps there (in the past anyway) were aircraft buffs and carried a wealth of such knowledge in their heads. Is this a sign of the times and no longer the case? I hope I am wrong in questioning this!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Pen Pusher wrote:The Amiot Toucan and Venom left 5 years ago. Do keep up. :biggrin:

Brian

What crap. So TSR2, Lightning, Javelin, Phantom, Jaguar etc are all going to be turfed out as well in future? :dunno:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Yes this is a really ridiculous idea. What a shame Duxford's terminal decline seems to continue on and on! At least we had the glory days in the 90s where you could actually get a good look at the various aircraft away from the clutter that pervades now.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

It’s good to see the Victor finally getting the TLC is needs,lengthy job but one that will be well worth it!

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I agree with you there, but surely the Victor will be leaving since it hasn't technically been part of any active conflict(?)

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

MiG_Eater wrote:but surely the Victor will be leaving since it hasn't technically been part of any active conflict(?)

From IWM Web site-
XH648 was delivered to RAF Cottesmore on 11th May 1961 to join 15 Squadron. Flown as part of the Far East Air Force during the confrontation with Indonesia in 1962-63 it was the only Victor to drop 35 1000lb bombs at the same time over the Song Song area.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

They still have a lengthy disposal list, no airframes but plenty of engines. https://www.iwm.org.uk/sites/default/fi ... posals.pdf

I believe the Storch also left, as well as the F-105? IWM does not have a great track record when it comes to disposals, remember the Varsity and T-29? Both delivered straight out of service, fell out of favor and left to rot before the inevitable scraping.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Pen Pusher wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:but surely the Victor will be leaving since it hasn't technically been part of any active conflict(?)

From IWM Web site-
XH648 was delivered to RAF Cottesmore on 11th May 1961 to join 15 Squadron. Flown as part of the Far East Air Force during the confrontation with Indonesia in 1962-63 it was the only Victor to drop 35 1000lb bombs at the same time over the Song Song area.

Brian

I stand corrected! Very interesting... though I still think it's a stupid way to operate an air museum...

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Surprised no-one has wanted that Climax Generator :grin:
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

rdchawk wrote:Surprised no-one has wanted that Climax Generator :grin:

I shudder to think how much it would cost? :hypno:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Marathon Milkshake

AARDVARK wrote:
Marathon Milkshake wrote:Its gone back to the states with the T-33

Thanks for info,that’s a shame,was the T33 in there aswell,jeez my memories bad lol!
Assuming they were only on loan for so many years?

Far as I'm aware all the aircraft in the AAM are on loan, except maybe the plastic P-51 and the F-4. As an asside the collecting policy at Duxford is very very stupid, the AAM has been offered over the last 20 years or so, F-16, A-4, F-14, A-7, supposedly F-117 (unverified) all turned down. A number of years ago they were also offered an F-105G and an F-4C, both of those airframes were scrapped. The F-105 that went to Poland should have stayed. Last I heard the USAFM people are aware of Duxford's collecting pollicy and no more aircraft will be offered for display until the situation is resolved.

Theres just no point even mentioning the F-86!!

farnboroughrob wrote:They still have a lengthy disposal list, no airframes but plenty of engines. https://www.iwm.org.uk/sites/default/fi ... posals.pdf

Judging by whats on that list the Land Warfare Hall will be empty soon, obviously everything is going to be replaced by interactive screens and crap to keep children amused for 3 seconds

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Marathon Milkshake wrote: Last I heard the USAFM people are aware of Duxford's collecting pollicy and no more aircraft will be offered for display until the situation is resolved.

Strange as they have just taken delivery of a new USAF exhibit.

One of the reasons planes like the F-16, A-4, F-14, A-7 etc., were turned down was because there was no where at Duxford to put them. Same why the Hercules and Nimrod were turned down.

the Land Warfare Hall will be empty soon, obviously everything is going to be replaced by interactive screens and crap to keep children amused for 3 seconds

Bit difficult when it wont be there.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

What an absolute travesty.

I used to love the land warfare hall as a child... It seems museums are all going the same way as modern education - instruction rather than discovery.

Marathon Milkshake

Pen Pusher wrote:
Marathon Milkshake wrote: Last I heard the USAFM people are aware of Duxford's collecting pollicy and no more aircraft will be offered for display until the situation is resolved.

Strange as they have just taken delivery of a new USAF exhibit.

One of the reasons planes like the F-16, A-4, F-14, A-7 etc., were turned down was because there was no where at Duxford to put them. Same why the Hercules and Nimrod were turned down.

the Land Warfare Hall will be empty soon, obviously everything is going to be replaced by interactive screens and crap to keep children amused for 3 seconds

Bit difficult when it wont be there.

Brian

Note the words "last I heard" and the LWH going? that is news to me, when will that be happening?