Discuss and share resources with fellow gamers
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Minor DCS update: J-11A being included in FC3

Post by Wissam24 »

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 7395491398

Apologise for the mobile Facebook link

Essentially it'll just be a Flanker with R-77 capability. Which is pretty sweet
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

verreli

Re: Minor DCS update: J-11A being included in FC3

Post by verreli »

I'm assuming you use DCS yourself? If so, do you fly it with a VR headset such as the Oculus Rift? Again, if so, what's your experience? Is it any good and would you recommend it?

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I'm afraid not. It's on my lift for sure, but I'm waiting til the next gen (also money). The current versions have too low resolution for reading instruments and HUDs easily. I'm told the immersion is incredible, and I don't doubt that, but it has its issues too.

I do use headtracking, which, I have to say, if you're not using you're not playing DCS (or any modern sim) properly. Quite literally a game changer across the board
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

verreli

Post by verreli »

Thanks for the reply. Think I'll hold off for the next gen VR too but I'm really interested in the technology.

The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

I use DCS with a Rift, much of what Wissam24 says above is true. The resolution on the instruments isn't as good as you might need but the immersion is just unreal. I kept my Track IR for when I wasn't going to be flying in VR but have not used it since upgrading. Honestly, I think you'd struggle to be disappointed if you took the plunge, as long as your system is up to the task. You should at the very least invest in some head tracking though.

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Im also waiting for the next generation of VR headsets before taking the plunge, but getting a good headtracker is a good stopgap solution. It really makes a lot of things, like formation flying and air to air refueling, a lot easier.

verreli

Post by verreli »

I had a look online and it seems it could be 2019 before the next gen headsets are on sale. The Vive pro increases resolution by 14% but it isn't the 100% most think is needed to be a step change. Also looked at head tracking and the obvious limitation is that you still need to look at your monitor. So... took the plunge and have a Rift coming tomorrow, mainly for use with CAD but will use with DCS too. Thanks for the comments all.