Duxford April Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 6~26Apr18*

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
Pen Pusher

Duxford April Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 6~26Apr18*

Post by Pen Pusher »

Blue sky and sunshine brought a lot of war birds out to play. At one point there were four two-seat Spitfires sitting on the grass outside ARCo and three of them went flying. Later in the afternoon Duxford's latest Spitfire resident, Anglia Aircraft Restorations Mk.Vc/G-IBSY, also went flying. HH-60G Pave Hawk 89-26208/LN of 56 Rescue Squadron from just down the road at Lakenheath did several circuits before parking up, with rotors running, while the passengers went off for a coffee.The Aero legends DH104 Dove 8/G-DHDV was doing a spot of crew training.

Sony Alpha A6000 CSC & Tamron 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 Di-III VC.

Brian
Last edited by Pen Pusher on Thu 26 Apr 2018, 5:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

AlexC

Re: Duxford April Bimbles ~ 05Apr18

Post by AlexC »

Very good!

Anyone know the ID of DV-V, don't remember seeing that one before?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

EE602/G-IBSY, formerly of the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar. I believe it's currently for sale through Air Leasing Ltd.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford April Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 1~07Apr18*

Post by Pen Pusher »

Duxford based Vickers Supermarine Spitfire Mk.T IX(Modified)/PT462/(G-CTIX) in the markings of No. 253 (Hyderabad) Squadron, made it's public debut today while passenger flying with Classic Wings. A very quiet day, flying wise, apart from the Classic Wings Rapide and Tiger Moths and their Canadian marked Harvard. The only other based war bird flying was the Stearman. With wall to wall cloud, lighting conditions were a bit naff for photography but the cross wind from the south did make for some interesting landings later in the afternoon. In the order taken.

Sony ILCE-6000 + Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS

Brian

DfG on Facebook

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:EE602/G-IBSY, formerly of the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar. I believe it's currently for sale through Air Leasing Ltd.

Thanks! :up:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

sdad

Re: Duxford April Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 1~07Apr18*

Post by sdad »

PT462/(G-CTIX)
Far more interesting to look at when it had the horrid gloss scheme!

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford April Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 2~14Apr18*

Post by Pen Pusher »

A very busy and very warm day at Duxford with 67 GA types flying in, and eventually out again, for the CAA/Safety Bonus Day. Amongst all the arrivals and departures, Classic Wings were active with two-seat Spitfire PT462/SW-A passenger flying and from ARCo, two-seat Spitfire SM520/KJ-I was pilot training. For a bit of variety, P-51 Mustang KH774/GA-S went up for a couple of flights. In the order taken

Sony Alpha A6000 CSC & Tamron 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 Di-III VC + Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Lens

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford April Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 3~18Apr18*

Post by Pen Pusher »

A hot sunny day at Duxford and I topped up my tan that I started on Saturday. There was a big aircraft movement before the museum opened when Handley Page HPR.7 Herald/G-APWJ was moved from Airliner Row into AirSpace where it will spend the next few days being finished painted and having missing bits added. The FSM Spitfire, on the hangar base, has been marked up to represent QV-I/X4474 a Mk.1 Spitfire of 19 Squadron and then it will be on loan to the RAF as it goes around the country as one of the static exhibits on the 'RAF100' tour. Spitfire/PT462 was flying passengers again and Spitfire Mk FRXVIIIe/SM845 went up for a short air test and a spot of aerobatics afterwards. In the order taken.

Sony Alpha A6000 CSC & Tamron 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 Di-III VC + Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Lens

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

SM845 sure is a very pretty Spitfire. :love:

wv383

Post by wv383 »

Great to see the Herald so fit and healthy again.
Simon

PirateTrickster

Post by PirateTrickster »

Hi all,

I'm owed some TOIL from work, and given Duxford's not too far from me (35-40 min drive) I was wondering about visiting on Fridays before airshows in the hope of catching some arrivals for said show. I'm not sure whether anything would come in during opening hours on the Friday, or whether it tends to arrive later on in the evening or Saturday morning.

Does anyone have any thoughts / experience of this?

Cheers,

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

PirateTrickster wrote:Hi all,

I'm owed some TOIL from work, and given Duxford's not too far from me (35-40 min drive) I was wondering about visiting on Fridays before airshows in the hope of catching some arrivals for said show. I'm not sure whether anything would come in during opening hours on the Friday, or whether it tends to arrive later on in the evening or Saturday morning.

Cheers,

I did the Friday before Legends last year, which has a good reputation. It was decent but I wasn't blown away.

Tried again on the Friday before the September show and found it to be excellent - a highly enjoyable day with lots of movements and arrivals, and perfect weather.

I put some photo threads in this section of the forum at the time - if you care the look for them they might offer some sort of idea what to expect.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

PirateTrickster

Post by PirateTrickster »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
PirateTrickster wrote:Hi all,

Cheers,

I did the Friday before Legends last year, which has a good reputation. It was decent but I wasn't blown away.

Tried again on the Friday before the September show and found it to be excellent - a highly enjoyable day with lots of movements and arrivals, and perfect weather.

I put some photo threads in this section of the forum at the time - if you care the look for them they might offer some sort of idea what to expect.

Thanks - I'll do that

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford April Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 4~21Apr18*

Post by Pen Pusher »

A busy day at Duxford. As the wind was from the south east and they using runway 06, I spent most of the day on the Tank Bank taking advantage of the sunshine and trying to get some different angles.

Sony Alpha A6000 CSC & Sigma 100-400m f5-6.3 DG OS HSM lens + Sigma MC-11 SA-E Mount

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford April Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 5~23Apr18*

Post by Pen Pusher »

Sywell based two-seat Hispano HA.1112-M4L Buchon/(G-AWHC) flew into Duxford early afternoon and parked up on the grass outside ARCo. About an hour later and in front of some guests who were visiting ARCo, the Twochon and two-seat Spitfire PT462 fired up and took off together. PT462 returned for a display routine over the airfield but was soon bounced by the Twochon and a tail chase/dogfight developed. Tables were turned and the Spitfire got on the tail of the Twochon and then they were friends again as they returned to base for tea and cakes. Many thanks to Cliff Spink in the Spit and Steve Jones in the Twochon for the entertainment. In the order taken.

Sony ILCE-6000 + Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS

Brian

DfG on Facebook

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

A nice set of images, Brian. What a fab pair of aircraft that put on a private air show for you! I recently saw another Buchon at Wanaka and it looked a treat in its fresh scheme. I believe that two Buchons will participate in this year's Legends. I might be tempted to board the QF A380 and head over again... :smile:
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Not quite a private show as there was a group of American Veterans, I think they were, visiting ARCo and it was for their benefit. There could well be three Buchons, well two Buchons and a Twochon, at Legends. :whistle:

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford April Bimbles ~ *UPDATE 6~26Apr18*

Post by Pen Pusher »

A sunny, cloudy, blustery, quiet day at Duxford. TFC had a nice line up of bent wing fighters parked outside their hangar as they extracted the Hawk 75 for some engine runs out on the airfield. The only Duxford based aircraft to fly while I was there was the Harvard 'Wacky Wabbit'.

Sony Alpha A6000 CSC & Tamron 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 Di-III VC & Sigma 100-400m f5-6.3 DG OS HSM lens + Sigma MC-11 SA-E Mount.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

The bent wing lineup pics are a great capture, and "Twochon" is a handle that will stick!

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

Lovely images, particularly the head-on image of the bent-wings.

Pen Pusher wrote:A sunny, cloudy, blustery...day at Duxford. .....
Sounds like my home town's (Melbourne) weather - four seasons in one day. :smile:
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums