North Weald April (G-RNHF, Gnats & Hangar 11)

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

North Weald April (G-RNHF, Gnats & Hangar 11)

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: North Weald April (G-RNHF, Gnats & Hangar 11)

Lovely warm day over at North Weald, and pleasantly surprised to note the yellow Gnat and Hangar 11 Spitfire both outside upon arrival. Spitfire was already on the move shortly after entering the main gate, so spent the day with the Gnats, only nipping across to catch the Spitfire returning to the hangar.

Gnat G-RORI was already up and about and returned shortly after the Spitfire got airborne, seen here returning to parking.

Folland Gnat T.1 G-RORI / XR538 - Gnat Display Team - North Weald, April 2018 by Dan B, on Flickr

Folland Gnat T.1 G-RORI / XR538 - Gnat Display Team - North Weald, April 2018 by Dan B, on Flickr

Supermarine Spitfire PR MkXI PL965 'R' (G-MKXI) - Hangar 11 Collection - North Weald, April 2018 by Dan B, on Flickr

Supermarine Spitfire PR MkXI PL965 'R' (G-MKXI) - Hangar 11 Collection - North Weald, April 2018 by Dan B, on Flickr

Folland Gnat T.1 G-MOUR / XS102 (XR992) - Gnat Display Team - North Weald, April 2018 by Dan B, on Flickr

Ground crew fire up the "Honey Rider"...

Gnat Display Team - North Weald, April 2018 by Dan B, on Flickr

Folland Gnat T.1 G-MOUR / XS102 (XR992) - Gnat Display Team - North Weald, April 2018 by Dan B, on Flickr

A warning light kept G-MOUR grounded, so the crew jumped back into RORI, which also needed some TLC, before departing on another sortie. Didn't wait around for the return.

PirateTrickster

Post by PirateTrickster »

Hi - Is NW restricted access or can anyone pitch up and take pictures?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

PirateTrickster wrote:Hi - Is NW restricted access or can anyone pitch up and take pictures?

Anyone can pitch up - there are two cafes located on-site from where you can view the action. Wings Café is my preference (Sea Fury photos taken from that location).

PirateTrickster

Post by PirateTrickster »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
PirateTrickster wrote:Hi - Is NW restricted access or can anyone pitch up and take pictures?

Anyone can pitch up - there are two cafes located on-site from where you can view the action. Wings Café is my preference (Sea Fury photos taken from that location).

==> thank you (again, second helpful reply you've given me in a short space of time). Will pop over and investigate sometime.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

PirateTrickster wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:

==> thank you (again, second helpful reply you've given me in a short space of time). Will pop over and investigate sometime.

What is the point of the forum if not to help each other?

Handful from a quick visit today to get the JP sortie.

Hunting-Percival Jet Provost T.3 XN637 (G-BKOU) - North Weald, April 2018 by Dan B, on Flickr

Bit tight on the framing with this one - as shot unfortunately.

Hunting-Percival Jet Provost T.3 XN637 (G-BKOU) - North Weald, April 2018 by Dan B, on Flickr

And returning just over an hour later - not bad timing for a round trip to Eastbourne!

Finally, a couple of detail shots from a quick look around the car park at The Squadron, where the South Eastern Vintage & Classic Vehicle Club were in attendance.

Jaguar Mk.II detail by Dan B, on Flickr

Teddy Bear by Dan B, on Flickr

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

Stunning photos!

LN Strike Eagle wrote:And returning just over an hour later - not bad timing for a round trip to Eastbourne!

Even went to Dover for some general handling too!

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

I've just caught up with this thread - not sure how I've missed it. Lovely stuff Dan.

The low angle prop blur close up of the Sea Fury is very sweet. Doesn't the Yellowjack Gnat with the ground crew in it make the thing look even more minute than it actually is? :smile:

As an aside, I wish they'd paint the fin yellow, that experimental black fin didn't last five minutes in reality and messes with the elegance of the thing.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Wrexham Mackem wrote:As an aside, I wish they'd paint the fin yellow, that experimental black fin didn't last five minutes in reality and messes with the elegance of the thing.

I like the black tail - breaks up the yellow.

I'd like to see one of them go silver and day-glo orange though, personally. Hopefully we might see the single-seater this year too.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Splendid, mate, as per. I still don't get how on earth you get such natural looking colours on everything. :worship:

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

Brilliant stuff, the sunshine helps! Interestingly enough, I've been catching up on the backlog of 'pilot' magazines that I've had and I think it was last September's issue which contained a spread on flying the Gnat, it was a really interesting read.
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries