What do you do with your photos?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Irishaernut

What do you do with your photos?

Post by Irishaernut »

A while back I came to this forum for updates and news about airshows and stayed for the photos.
Trawling back through some amazing shots and collections with some excellent shots and some just great records of unusual aircraft or just simple records for posterity.

However when I finally travelled to airshows I found the number of photographers to be a huge percentage of the crowd.
And not just people taking the odd photo for memories sake, but masssive tele lenses machine-gunning the aircraft.
Now I understand stand that one of the reasons I see the great photos is that they are uploaded here.

But what else do people do? Do you ever go back and look at them ? Do you get any printed? Do you submit them for publication?
Did you start as a photographer and get into shooting aircraft or were you an enthusiast who picked up progressively more equipment until you had the kit to read a shrews watch at 400 metres?

I often wonder why some people spend the entire show looking through a viewfinder and then reviewing shots while aircraft perform in front of them?

When I see that I always think “that guy is a professional photographer and cares only about that shot, and doesn’t give a hoot about the aircraft”

Then I see lots of people doing it , so I wonder are they primarily photographers or enthusiasts and why a person standing with hands in pockets ‘just watching ‘ seems out of place in some areas.

I have always been a aircraft nut and will stand and watch anything Flying

So what are people’s priorities photo , aircraft , both and what do you do with the photos?

Thanks in advance , steve

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: What do you do with your photos?

Post by UKTopgun »

I put the camera down many years back and have never again picked it up. Feels very liberating, walking down the Riat statics for example, just looking at not worrying about cones, people, angles... Live in the moment and just watch an airshow, I highly recommend it :smile:

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

I usually get a poster or 2 done a month by PhotoBox if I have any ‘special’ photos that stand out to me. I always like getting prints and framing them, somehow looks so much better than on phone or PC.
Nikon D500

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

Harvo The poster thing seems great , because they are personal memories.
Topgun , that’s exactly why I could do the photography thing because I would fear missing too much and not really experiencing the static and flying.

Has anyone found after starting photography that it added something extra or increased enjoyment.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

the 80's,90's and early 2000's are in Albums, I look over them regularly, the Digital stuff is on hard drives and hardly ever looked at.

As eveyones a photographer these days I don't bother me hole taking pics and just enjoy other folks efforts nowadays. Much easier!. I normally take pictures of Steam engines when they are out and about in Erins Isle or Holidaying in Dorset or the Isle of Man.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

I get them printed from time to time. I've had a few in magazines, including double-page spreads and last year had my first front cover. That was a nice thing to see on the shelves of WH Smith, which obviously wouldn't have happened for me if I only observed with my eyeballs.

It's a fun hobby, that's why I do it. The taking of photos gives you something tangible to take home and remember your day by.

A love of aircraft came first, but these days I wouldn't be at the events if I didn't have the camera with me - I'd feel like I'd lost a limb. Having a camera doesn't change the sights, sounds or smells of aviation, nor does it mean that you watch the entire show through the viewfinder - I can enjoy and overlap two hobbies.

In that regard, I would certainly say it has increased my interest in aviation - it keeps me coming back to shoot the same subjects at places like Old Warden and North Weald, and has kept me involved with a site like UKAR. Before photography was a parallel hobby, my interest in aircraft would wane periodically.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

Thanks George and strike eagle,

ted633

Post by ted633 »

I very occasionally have one framed / posters if they are ones I am very pleased with. Every year though, I select about 40 of my best ones from that season and get a photo book made up, complete with captions of what it is and where it was taken. Makes a good keepsake to look back on over the years, and is also a very good way to show others

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

An interesting question.

I came to photography and aircraft separately, and found they naturally fit together. If either one wasn't there I'd still be interested in the other. I'm interested in airshows and display flying in their own right, so I see what goes on.. I don't think I've ever watched an entire show through the viewfinder.

I agree about printing. I don't think you really see how good (or not!) an image is until its printed, but its still pretty rare that I do. Every now and again, plus the odd one in mags over the years. I like Ted's idea of an annual photo book. They will look nice on the bookshelf. I'd better wait until there's an offer on to catch up with the back catalogue :grin:

CJS

Post by CJS »

I am firmly in the aircraft camp. I do take photographs, mainly of the static and I try to be a bit inventive with the composition. My DSLR is an ageing D-70 and although I do like it and am getting better at using it I much prefer to use that at home. For airshows (for me this means RIAT) I tend to take my compact camera. This suits me perfectly well for trying to mess about being slightly arty farty with static shots but obviously it's fairly limiting for flying ones.

I do look back through them. Typically in the week or so before RIAT I will have a trawl back through my shots from the past (now) 11 RIATs to get myself in the mood.

In 2007 I shot on film and wish I had taken more, especially when I look back at the participant list :shock: but since then I've used digital.

But certainly, for me, I sit back and watch the display with my eyes, not my viewfinder.

I hugely admire some of the photographers on here, particularly when the composition of flying shots is what makes them stand out. However, I stood next to a guy last year who - pretty much literally - spent each pass by each aeroplane machine gunning the action. Of course, that's up to him and who am I to judge, but he didn't seem to once look up during the B-2/F-15 passes. Make of that what you will, but personally I'd rather capture the moment if that's what I decide to do and then just enjoy the spectacle.

I would say from a day out at RIAT I probably come home with 200 photos, of which I keep about 100 and then edit maybe about 30 or so. I normally inflict about 15 on UKAR. I should think I have got at least one shot of each flying display item from the last 11 shows (except 2008 and 2014 when I didn't go) and yes, I do enjoy looking back through them. If I hadn't taken them, I wouldn't have a record of having seen an F-117 or Indian Su-30 fly for example, however poor the photos are.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

CJS wrote:However, I stood next to a guy last year who - pretty much literally - spent each pass by each aeroplane machine gunning the action. Of course, that's up to him and who am I to judge, but he didn't seem to once look up during the B-2/F-15 passes. Make of that what you will, but personally I'd rather capture the moment if that's what I decide to do and then just enjoy the spectacle.

Trust me, not all photographers are like that, although I have seen many people do what you have just described :lol:

I think the key, like you say, is to enjoy the spectacle and get some shots at the same time.
I always look through the viewfinder for the shortest possible amount of time. Pick up camera, take shots, put it down, enjoy watching aeroplane going up into its next manoeuvre. My best memories are when I have done exactly that and was able to enjoy certain low passes or formations.

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

I don't fully understand why whenever this subject comes up people portray others who focus more on the photography as somehow missing out or that they can't really be interested in the flying. If you're really focussed on taking photos then you're not likely to put the camera down too often because you might miss the decisive moment.

That's ok isn't it? It is in every other field of photography aside from aviation. It would be pretty weird for a photographer shooting a model to put down the camera for a while to just appreciate the spectacle or for a sports photographer to put down their gear and just enjoy the game. Increasingly in this hobby people seem to look down on photographers with their big lenses and apparently ungrateful attitudes.

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

Yeah it’s interesting to see that it’s both for many .
That guy watching the b-2 through his camera seems to be the type that amazed me when I first went to Uk airshows.
Brevet I forgot there was a thread but I’m trying to figure out more along the lines of motivation for going to airshows.
And if people just take photos that are similar to the next guy beside them , so why not just watch and use UKAR as your photo reference ?

If I went to bwlch or rainbow canyon I’d just sit there and watch , I wouldn’t want to miss a second .

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Wed 12 Sep 2018, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Each to their own, I say.

Watching the show through a viewfinder, is still watching the show - just from a closer perspective! It's like going to the races and watching the race through binoculars, you might miss the bigger picture, but you're closer to the action.

Photography is also a hobby for me and I like to combine it with aviation, as I like seeing a photo I've taken that other people also get enjoyment from, which for me is what it's all about. I've not had a lot published, just a few bits and bobs here and there, but I had a nice calendar printed this year for myself from some of the photos I'd taken last year, and will look to do the same for next year.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

jalfrezi wrote:Watching the show through a viewfinder, is still watching the show - just from a closer perspective! It's like going to the races and watching the race through binoculars, you might miss the bigger picture, but you're closer to the action.

That's my main use for my camera at RIAT these days. :biggrin:
아직도 숨어있다

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Brevet Cable wrote:
jalfrezi wrote:Watching the show through a viewfinder, is still watching the show - just from a closer perspective! It's like going to the races and watching the race through binoculars, you might miss the bigger picture, but you're closer to the action.

That's my main use for my camera at RIAT these days. :biggrin:

:lol: :clap:

premislao

Post by premislao »

75% of an Airshow I'm looking through viewfinder and I'm not regret. I'm enjoying of taking photos and see the action. With 500mm lens I feel like I'm even closer. Also I do go back to my digital pictures, but someone here mentioned he's doing photobook each year and this is great idea - I will start doing the same :)

Kindly Regards
For more videos please visit my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPi81z ... Xav48zsvvA

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Spend a huge proportion of my time watching the show through the viewfinder. Yes, I do 'chimp' during a display too, but usually when the aircraft is miles away lining up for its next pass.

I've been going to airshows for over 45 years now, and I do regret not having a camera all those years ago.

I also met my wife through the hobby of airshow photography so that is a big positive right there :-)

We all have different opinions on what is the best way to view an airshow, mine happens to be through a viewfinder and in the FRIAT grandstand :smile:

In terms of what I do with my pics, they usually find their way on to Flickr and I set the license to 'Creative Commons' and then my pics are picked up by all sorts of magazines, and internet sites including various newspapers etc. Many have been published (mostly for free, but sometimes have got paid through cash or souvenirs/merchandise). My wife has won a number of photo competitions on Facebook through Jessops with her pics.

I do wildlife photography as well during the quieter months and a number of my pics have been shown on BBC Springwatch and appear in various calendars.

So photography and military aircraft in equal measure I guess in terms of importance, although unlikely to go to an airshow without a camera these days :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

warferry

Post by warferry »

Answering the question ,not what one viewing or snapping at shows, I load all digital onto PC/ Flickr .
Copy slides onto PC and print some for albums.
Older print films to albums as well, many still in shoe boxes as I have been at this game for over 60 years.

Load often on various web sites, as some of you will have seen,a few submitted to aviation media.
Also give slide shows to aviation groups , sent many to pals and a regular contributor to a E.A.A chapter magazine
In my advancing years I still look back at old shots and remember the good times had.

May use some in my book if I ever finish it .... Terry

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

Thanks for all the viewpoints, it’s amazing to see those that have thought about it and rationalised it for what they want to get out of it.
Dave jones I honestly thought more people would have had an epiphany like yours.

And I agree the photo book of your best photos from the year makes a great idea.
All your Christmas presents sorted and a point to lugging all that kit around, and not to mention taking your life in your hands fighting for crowdline space

Hamster100

Post by Hamster100 »

I consider myself to be a photographer (for over 40 years) with an interest in aviation, as well as Motorsport and general photography . It's a hobby that I get great pleasure from, and the pictures I take are my memories from the various airshow and motor races etc I've been to. Unlike many UKAR I don't manage to get to that many displays each year so my photography is my way of remembering these precious days out.

As a rule I look at the camera screen during a display to ensure that I have got everything correct, exposure, focus etc, and only go through them fully when I get home. I try to balance looking through the viewfinder and looking at the display live as well so hopefully I don't miss to much this way.

Mostly are viewed on my computer but I have also had printed some photo books. I agree that Pictures looked best printed and this is an easy way I can show any one that may be interested in my work and not bore people to death who may not be interested in the subject matter.

Doug

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Well basically my photographs are my memories of events like Airshows, spotting trips etc, so I place them in Albums and bring them out and reminisce of the good old days! I have recently decided that a total reorganisation is required of photos and albums so since I haven't looked at my pics for a while it will be good to view them while I reconstruct the order they are in. That includes a look at the pics I still have in the camera!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

The vast majority of mine at RIAT are taken on the arrivals/practice days.
As with others, they're primarily kept as my own personal record of what was there.
Don't bother printing them, they just tend to be stuck on an assortment of DVDs.
아직도 숨어있다