2018 Yeovilton Air Day

Re: 2018 Yeovilton Air Day

Postby Saracen on Thu 26 Apr 2018, 9:24 am

PirateTrickster wrote:Going to be my first Yeovilton - think I'm being spoilt!

I do have a question about the Commando Assault - it feels like you will only get the full spectacle if you're on the fence - is this right? I will not be on the fence as I will have 2 young nephews with me so we'll be watching from a lot further back.

No This is Pretty Good for Wherever you are watching pity its likely to be a scaled back version though
Previously known as WATFC and any Similarity to any persons alive or dead is purely coincidental
Saracen

Postby Andyperkins on Thu 26 Apr 2018, 10:19 am

PirateTrickster wrote:Going to be my first Yeovilton - think I'm being spoilt!

I do have a question about the Commando Assault - it feels like you will only get the full spectacle if you're on the fence - is this right? I will not be on the fence as I will have 2 young nephews with me so we'll be watching from a lot further back.

In all my years of attending I have only ever experienced the assault from a distance and while you might not get to see everything the troops on the ground are doing it is still quite the display just a shame it will likely never be the spectacle it was in years gone, in the 90s I had seen it so many times that I remember not being that bothered by the sight of numerous Sea Kings and Lynx along with Chinooks, Hawks and Sea Harriers, would give anything to experience one of those again.
Andyperkins

Postby tuska2 on Fri 27 Apr 2018, 6:23 am

This show is promising to be a real cracker! The least the weather Gods can do is their best! Very Pretty Please!
tuska2

Postby Tommy on Fri 27 Apr 2018, 8:07 am

The dust had barely settled over the last great update, but supposedly two "big" updates due today.

Guessing emphasis on the "big" may mean some heavy aircraft? Or just, y'know, really amazing gems or something.

https://twitter.com/YeoviltonAirDay/sta ... 37792?s=19
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Andyperkins on Fri 27 Apr 2018, 8:25 am

Tommy wrote:The dust had barely settled over the last great update, but supposedly two "big" updates due today.

Guessing emphasis on the "big" may mean some heavy aircraft? Or just, y'know, really amazing gems or something.

https://twitter.com/YeoviltonAirDay/sta ... 37792?s=19

The press launch posted on Flightline UK hinted at this...

Organisers hope to add to the list of international 'heavies' with further announcements in the next few weeks.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if the USAF C-17 makes a return for I believe the 4th year in a row.
Andyperkins

Postby Tom105 on Fri 27 Apr 2018, 9:38 am

US C-17 confirmed! impressive support for the 4th year in a row. :clap:
Thomas
Tom105

Postby Wissam24 on Fri 27 Apr 2018, 9:43 am

From Charleston again. Incredible relationship built there - I love it. Great supporters of the show.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby capercaillie on Fri 27 Apr 2018, 11:46 am

daa-da, daa-da, da-da da-da da-daa
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby Berf on Fri 27 Apr 2018, 11:50 am

P-8A Poseidon – United States Navy (Static)
Berf

Postby Albion143 on Wed 02 May 2018, 12:30 pm

German Navy P-3 Orion just added to the static. Where are all these going to go!! Brilliant :clap:
Albion143

Postby Wissam24 on Wed 02 May 2018, 1:12 pm

Really is a blinder of a lineup this year.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby JJC on Wed 02 May 2018, 3:18 pm

RNoAF C-130J added to the static!

Shaping up to be an incredible show, I can’t wait to attend for the first time :biggrin:
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''
JJC

Postby Tommy on Wed 02 May 2018, 3:21 pm

Crikey, where are they gonna stick all of these things?! :shock:

Awesome. Haven't seen a Noggie '130 for some time.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Wissam24 on Wed 02 May 2018, 4:30 pm

Tommy wrote:Crikey, where are they gonna stick all of these things?! :shock:

Awesome. Haven't seen a Noggie '130 for some time.

NORWEGIAN!

I can only assume they're going to be cutting back on funfairs and stalls and car meets...?
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby Pen Pusher on Wed 02 May 2018, 4:53 pm

Tommy wrote:Haven't seen a Noggie '130 for some time.

Is Noggie an offensive term to the Norwegians?

Noggie is considered a mildly derogatory word for a Norwegian, but is not overly offensive. Best to use with caution

http://www.kgbanswers.co.uk/is-noggie-a ... ns/2898397

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook
Pen Pusher

Postby alans895 on Thu 03 May 2018, 10:28 am

My arrivals day ticket arrived in the mail in Australia today, but no Saturday Grandstand pass which I also ordered. Do they normally post these separately?

Regards,

Alan
alans895

Postby Wissam24 on Wed 09 May 2018, 2:30 pm

NATO Sentry static confirmed.

When did the Air Day last have six heavies on static?
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby capercaillie on Wed 09 May 2018, 2:37 pm

NATO Sentry cancelled. :sad:

Well someone had to.
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby Paul_Reflex on Wed 09 May 2018, 2:44 pm

Wissam24 wrote:NATO Sentry static confirmed.

When did the Air Day last have six heavies on static?

I make it seven! P-3, P-8, 2x C-130, E-3, C-17 , KDC-10
Paul_Reflex

Postby Wissam24 on Wed 09 May 2018, 2:53 pm

I (and indeed, the show did as well in their email) forgot about the KDC-10, unless it's cancelled.
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby Andyperkins on Wed 09 May 2018, 2:57 pm

capercaillie wrote:NATO Sentry cancelled. :sad:

Well someone had to.

It has a better track record of showing up at Yeovilton than RIAT :lol:
Andyperkins

Postby Paul_Reflex on Wed 09 May 2018, 2:58 pm

Wissam24 wrote:I (and indeed, the show did as well in their email) forgot about the KDC-10, unless it's cancelled.

I hope none of them cancel, I'm fascinated to see where they are going to put them all!
Paul_Reflex

Postby Andyperkins on Wed 09 May 2018, 3:04 pm

Not sure how long ago it was (definitely the 90s) but I am sure they had a C-5 on static one year along with plenty of other heavies so they have the room just been along time since they have had the opportunity to properly fill it up :smile:

Oh and the announcement on their Facebook page mentions the KDC-10 so likely just an error that it was left off the emails...

E-3A Sentry – NATO (Static)

With its massive rotating radar dish, the The Boeing Company E-3A is one of today's most unusual looking military aircraft and it's coming to the Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton International Air Day on Sat 7 July! The unmistakable AWACS, operated by NATO’s Airborne Early Warning & Control Force, will be yet another ‘heavy’ in Air Day’s static display, joining the USAF Globemaster, US Navy Poseidon, German Navy Orion, Dutch KDC-10 and Canadian and Norwegian Hercules.
Andyperkins

Postby Webby74 on Thu 10 May 2018, 8:11 pm

Really looking forward to the show this year, outstanding lineup. Have booked tickets for arrivals day for the first time and also the Lynx enclosure for the show. Is the enclosure any good for photography if anyone has any experience?
Webby74

Postby ted633 on Fri 11 May 2018, 12:52 pm

PARTICIPATION UPDATE
Wildcat HMA2 – Royal Navy (Flying)
Wildcat HMA2 x 2 – Royal Navy (Flypast)
Wildcat HMA2 x 3 – Royal Navy (Static)

A rare solo Wildcat display, packed full of flares and pyrotechnics, has been added to the Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton Air Day’s flying programme. The Fleet Air Arm’s new multi-mission maritime helicopter, operated by the Wildcat Maritime Force’s two squadrons – 815 and 825 NAS, will be put through its paces in an exciting role demonstration. A pair of Wildcats will also take part in a flypast with the Royal Navy’s Sea King ASaC7 as it bows out of service and three Wildcats will be available to view up close on static display on Saturday 7 July.
2018 - Season Premier, Fly Navy, Military Pageant, Yeovilton, RIAT, BHFoF, Dunsfold
ted633

PreviousNext

Return to RNAS Yeovilton & Culdrose Air Days