Midlands Air Festival 18th-20th May 2018, Ragley Hall, Warks

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
IP1960

Re: Midlands Air Festival 18th-20th May 2018, Ragley Hall, W

Post by IP1960 »

As posted above Blenheim and MkI Spitfire added to display list. All aircraft displaying both days which makes a nice change. Over 100 hot air balloons attending as well.

Jakub.Zurek wrote:I'd consider making a long trip to this show, if I knew what the set up is like, how close the flying will be etc.

Display line is East/West with viewing south according to FB, I assume behind the lake which won't necessarily help photos but will give a nice green/blue backdrop purely for viewing. The organisers seem to be very responsive to questions on the FB page.

I agree that the ticket price is probably a little on the high side (given that it is more than the ticket for Old Warden last week) but if it helps to try to establish a new venue close to me I'm happy to support it. :biggrin:

jamyt123

Post by jamyt123 »

Frogfoot wrote:
jamyt123 wrote:The 'full lineup' has now been announced, which I make out to be:

Friday Night Only:
    Solo Twister (Pyro)
    Otto the helicopter
    aeroSPARX glider display team

Saturday & Sunday:
    Bristol Blenheim
    Mk1 Spitfire
    P47 Thunderbolt
    Hawker Fury
    Gyrocopter
    Pitts special (Lauren Richardson)
    Turbulent Display Team
    Fournier RF4
    P-51 mustang
    Westland Wasp helicopter
    Stampe Formation Flying Team
    Strikemaster
    Auster
    Great War Display Team
    Harvard
    Otto the helicopter
    Beech 18
    Catalina WW2 seaplane
    de Havilland Vampire

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Aerosparx will not be appearing at the show. However, I believe Airborne Pyrotechnics will be.

Well todays announcement included 'Sydney Charles display team', which a quick google comes up with the Aerosparx website stating 'Aerosparx are known as the Sydney Charles Display Team' (http://aerosparx.com/index.php/partners ... -insurance ), although it appears that Airborne Pyrotechnics are also sponsored by Sydney Charles Insurance Services?
Coningsby Spotter

2024 - Midlands AF, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT etc...

Frogfoot

Post by Frogfoot »

jamyt123 wrote:
Frogfoot wrote:
jamyt123 wrote:The 'full lineup' has now been announced, which I make out to be:

Friday Night Only:
    Solo Twister (Pyro)
    Otto the helicopter
    aeroSPARX glider display team

Saturday & Sunday:
    Bristol Blenheim
    Mk1 Spitfire
    P47 Thunderbolt
    Hawker Fury
    Gyrocopter
    Turbulent Display Team
    Fournier RF4
    P-51 mustang
    Westland Wasp helicopter
    Strikemaster
    Auster
    Great War Display Team
    Harvard
    Otto the helicopter
    Beech 18
    Catalina WW2 seaplane
    de Havilland Vampire

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Aerosparx will not be appearing at the show. However, I believe Airborne Pyrotechnics will be.

Well todays announcement included 'Sydney Charles display team', which a quick google comes up with the Aerosparx website stating 'Aerosparx are known as the Sydney Charles Display Team' (http://aerosparx.com/index.php/partners ... -insurance ), although it appears that Airborne Pyrotechnics are also sponsored by Sydney Charles Insurance Services?

Tim Dews, leader of Airborne Pyrotechnics, previously flew with aeroSPARX. As far as I’m aware, aeroSPARX’s aircraft still haven’t returned from China.
Last edited by Frogfoot on Fri 11 May 2018, 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

It's not Aerosparx.

Long story short - there are TWO UK based pyro teams flying pairs of Grob 109bs - Aerosparx (sponsored by Sydney Charles / Blacks ) and Airborne Pyrotechnics (Just Sydney Charles - hence SC Display Team).

Just to add total confusion, Airborne Pyrotechnics also have a Twister which is the one appearing at Ragley. (so not the Twister Aerobatics Team)

Frogfoot

Post by Frogfoot »

Will there be a pyrotechnic display on the Saturday evening?

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

According to their Facebook page, the pyro displays are only on the Friday.

They also seem to have reluctantly said (after several people asked for site layouts etc) that the crowd will be looking south. No sure why its been quite such an issue for them.

Frogfoot

Post by Frogfoot »

I appreciate their quick responses via Facebook, but I feel that the organisers need to clarify a few details. The flying programme wasn’t exactly made clear at first. For example, they forget to mention the Vampire - arguably one of the star items of the show!

jamyt123

Post by jamyt123 »

clearstone wrote:It's not Aerosparx.

Long story short - there are TWO UK based pyro teams flying pairs of Grob 109bs - Aerosparx (sponsored by Sydney Charles / Blacks ) and Airborne Pyrotechnics (Just Sydney Charles - hence SC Display Team).

Just to add total confusion, Airborne Pyrotechnics also have a Twister which is the one appearing at Ragley. (so not the Twister Aerobatics Team)

That's cleared that up then. Aerosparx need to update their website.
Coningsby Spotter

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Any idea what time the flying will start? 0600 for the balloon lift, but I won't be arriving that early.

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

It's a pity there isn't a site map. I'm considering the friday evening but would rather do Shuttleworth evening show on the Saturday. I've been to Ragley Hall before for events and people have been quite tightly packed in so it's difficult to gauge where things are going to be, especially considering some aircraft will be landing too.
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Flare Path wrote:Any idea what time the flying will start? 0600 for the balloon lift, but I won't be arriving that early.

In the absence of any firm information - this from Coventry Aeroplane Club FB page -

"Flying next weekend (19/20 May)?
There will be a RA(T) that says ".....between 1000 and 1630 hours on 19 and 20 May 2018, no aircraft is to fly below 5,300 ft amsl within the area of a circle of 2.5 nm radius centred at 521142N 0015402W (Ragley Hall, Alcester)."

Frogfoot

Post by Frogfoot »

IP1960 wrote:
Flare Path wrote:Any idea what time the flying will start? 0600 for the balloon lift, but I won't be arriving that early.

In the absence of any firm information - this from Coventry Aeroplane Club FB page -

"Flying next weekend (19/20 May)?
There will be a RA(T) that says ".....between 1000 and 1630 hours on 19 and 20 May 2018, no aircraft is to fly below 5,300 ft amsl within the area of a circle of 2.5 nm radius centred at 521142N 0015402W (Ragley Hall, Alcester)."

The flying display will commence at 13:00.

Comet102

Post by Comet102 »

Friday Night Only:
    Solo Twister (Pyro)
    Otto the helicopter
    Airborne Pyrotechnics

Saturday & Sunday:
    Bristol Blenheim
    Mk1 Spitfire
    P47 Thunderbolt
    Hawker Fury
    Gyrocopter
    Turbulent Display Team
    Fournier RF4
    P-51 mustang
    Westland Wasp helicopter
    Strikemaster
    Auster
    Great War Display Team
    Harvard
    Otto the helicopter
    Beech 18
    Catalina WW2 seaplane
    de Havilland Vampire

What happened to the Buchon and Hurricane?

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

More information published on Facebook:

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/midlandsairfestival/posts/588917568158364[/fb-post]
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Cheers for the updates guys. My plan was to go on the Saturday , but as the show may run past 5 i may have to go Sunday as dont wanna miss the FA Cup final / build up.

At what point do you think they will announce any exact flying schedule ? (or will they at all ?)

jamyt123

Post by jamyt123 »

Mr Benn wrote:Cheers for the updates guys. My plan was to go on the Saturday , but as the show may run past 5 i may have to go Sunday as dont wanna miss the FA Cup final / build up.

At what point do you think they will announce any exact flying schedule ? (or will they at all ?)

You can watch the football (or Royal Wedding, should you be into that...) on big screens at the event -
We have timed the days displays so that as the Royal Wedding finishes, the air display starts and when air display finishes, the FA cup starts and when the cup final finishes the Balloons come out. Perfect!!

Can't be many air shows which have a Paramotor taking part?
[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/midlandsairfestival/posts/589402001443254[/fb-post]
Coningsby Spotter

Comet102

Post by Comet102 »

Mr Benn wrote:Cheers for the updates guys. My plan was to go on the Saturday , but as the show may run past 5 i may have to go Sunday as dont wanna miss the FA Cup final / build up.

Probably either this week on Facebook, or make you buy a schedule.

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

With the sunshine forecast, it looks like its set to be a show of silhouettes, which is a shame given the line-up they've secured. Luckily a good few of the aircraft are operating from Coventry (Cat, Strikemaster, P51 etc)...

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

They have said that flying will start after the Wedding, and end before the Cup Final, with the evening balloon lift taking place after the Final finishes. Wedding and Final on a large screen.

CameronSys wrote:With the sunshine forecast, it looks like its set to be a show of silhouettes, which is a shame given the line-up they've secured. Luckily a good few of the aircraft are operating from Coventry (Cat, Strikemaster, P-51 etc)...

Yes given the layout of Ragley it may well not be the best photographic show for aircraft but will be nice to see the lineup they've secured in the skies, and with nice evenings the balloons could look quite spectacular. I did wonder if any aircraft would operate from CVT along with the Vampire :biggrin:

Comet102

Post by Comet102 »

CameronSys wrote:With the sunshine forecast, it looks like its set to be a show of silhouettes, which is a shame given the line-up they've secured. Luckily a good few of the aircraft are operating from Coventry (Cat, Strikemaster, P-51 etc)...

I was hopeful about some using Wellesbourne but I guess the lack of hangarage played a part.

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Are the Blenheim and spitfire part of the bbmf display team ? As it doesn't mention the display on their website.

Amazing the things a novice like me learns on here. I wouldn't even think about sight lines and if it faces north etc. I would've thought at Ragley , you can walk around the site so that your facing another direction so the planes aren't in the sun ?

Im paying to go on the weekend, but just wonder how well you will be able to see the balloons etc on the Friday night from near by ?

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Mr Benn wrote:Are the Blenheim and spitfire part of the bbmf display team ? As it doesn't mention the display on their website.

The Blenheim is owned and operated by the Aircraft Restoration Company at Duxford, while the Spitfire Mk 1 is 'N3200' I believe, which was gifted to the IWM a few years ago

Mr Benn wrote:Amazing the things a novice like me learns on here. I wouldn't even think about sight lines and if it faces north etc. I would've thought at Ragley , you can walk around the site so that your facing another direction so the planes aren't in the sun ?

You will presumably be okay to walk around the site, but only within the designated crowd areas on the days of the show, in order that the display area conforms to CAA regs - also consider that there will be at least one grass strip runway in operation. Given the layout of the grounds, this means you will have little choice but to look South during the displays

Mr Benn wrote:I'm paying to go on the weekend, but just wonder how well you will be able to see the balloons etc on the Friday night from near by ?

That all depends where you live, if you're in Slough you might struggle, but if you're local to Alcester you might get lucky :biggrin:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

Maybe of use to those travelling to Ragley: Road Closures due to airshow - https://roadworks.org/?tm=105318447

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

clearstone wrote:Maybe of use to those travelling to Ragley: Road Closures due to airshow - https://roadworks.org/?tm=105318447

Just trying to work out what the red lines mean - is that just they anticipate a lot of traffic ? Cant be road closed as that's the only way into Ragley Hall isn't it ?

pringles - thanks for the info . And Im near Redditch so about 10 miles away ? Just considering going to a nearby pub if can see baloons etc on the Friday night.

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

As I understand it, its a road closure but there's access from the A422 end for those going to Ragley.