First F35s to Marham 5th June

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
jingernut

First F35s to Marham 5th June

Post by jingernut »

Reported on Scramble that first four F35s will arrive at Marham on the 5th June.

138EAW

Re: First F35s to Marham 5th June

Post by 138EAW »

The day Marham changes forever. From a base where most people avoid because of the lack of movements to swamped :sad: For the new visitors respect the farmers field and Don't ruin it for the rest.
Gary

FlashGordon

Post by FlashGordon »

There'll still be a lack of movements, I wouldn't worry, 138EAW.

Although obviously, the first day they arrive there will be a fanfare and significant interest in the first few weeks. Ultimately though, there won't be many F-35B's based at Marham and a lot of training will be conducted through simulation.

What's more sad is the loss of Tornado in less than a year.

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

The RAF said that are looking at a 50/50 split sim to actually flying on F-35. Still should mean a increase in movements when 207 Squadron arrive from July 2019.

Tornado movements at Marham is roughly 10 a day at the moment. 13 of the 20 at Marham have been active in the last month or so
Gary

FlashGordon

Post by FlashGordon »

138EAW wrote:The RAF said that are looking at a 50/50 split sim to actually flying on F-35. Still should mean a increase in movements when 207 Squadron arrive from July 2019.

Tornado movements at Marham is roughly 10 a day at the moment. 13 of the 20 at Marham have been active in the last month or so

I have to say that's higher than I thought it would have been in terms of Tornado movements at Marham, considering as you said there are only 13 out of 20 having been active.

Has there been any more murmurings on the next squadron to receive the F-35? I would have imagined it would be a FAA unit, considering there are now 2 RAF to 1 FAA.

Trenethick

Post by Trenethick »

FlashGordon wrote:
138EAW wrote:The RAF said that are looking at a 50/50 split sim to actually flying on F-35. Still should mean a increase in movements when 207 Squadron arrive from July 2019.

I have to say that's higher than I thought it would have been in terms of Tornado movements at Marham, considering as you said there are only 13 out of 20 having been active.

Has there been any more murmurings on the next squadron to receive the F-35? I would have imagined it would be a FAA unit, considering there are now 2 RAF to 1 FAA.

Announced a long time ago that the FAA unit would be 809NAS

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

Fully expecting extra dark sea grey over white, big blue code numbers on the nose, D type roundels and a phoenix on the tail! :whistle:

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Plus sea trials and when in full service half will be away on the carrier, Marham will be a very quiet base compared to past.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Am I right in thinking there will be none at Yeovilton? In which case - will there be ski-jumps installed at Marham?

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

You are correct about Yeovilton. There are currently no plans to have a ski ramp at Marham, there are 3 landing pads. The cross runway 1/19 is/was going to be used for short field ops. The plan was to have the carrier marking to be painted on the runway

https://insidedio.blog.gov.uk/2016/04/1 ... -fighters/
Gary

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

So presumably the first carrier take-off will also be the first real life ski-jump take-off for the pilots!?

I wonder what our chances are of getting a full time F-35 display each year as well. To have this as well as the Typhoon would be a real boon for UK airshows!

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

:lmao: now the Navy are art Marham, quite possibly :grin:

MiG_Eater wrote:So presumably the first carrier take-off will also be the first real life ski-jump take-off for the pilots!?

More than likely, the pilots at NAS Patuxent River have been using the ski ramp for testing. There was talk about MCAS Beaufort installing a ramp but not sure if that was just rumours or stopped due to cost. They could go to Pax River for practice, so onboard QE won't be the first time?
Gary

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

The current batch of F35B pilots are training on ski jumps in the USA.

Will all future Dave Pilots be sent on initial training in the USA ?

If not then I guess at some point they are going to have to build a ski jump somewhere - they can’t use the Harrier one as that’s a different angle and is straight and will melt or buckle or something as it’s not heat resistant enough.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

Logster

Post by Logster »

138EAW wrote:You are correct about Yeovilton. There are currently no plans to have a ski ramp at Marham, there are 3 landing pads. The cross runway 1/19 is/was going to be used for short field ops. The plan was to have the carrier marking to be painted on the runway

Am I right in thinking that although there won't be permanently based F-35s at Yeovilton, small numbers would deploy there to prepare in advance of going a
on board the carrier? I thought I had seen that somewhere when it was announced that F-35 was going to be at Marham...I may be completely wrong though!

somerset

Post by somerset »

The locals at Yeovilton are already moaning about increased activity at Yeovilton so sending loud jets won't be happening

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Unless they've lived there longer than the base has existed they are utterly idiotic people.

harkins

Post by harkins »

I thought little or nothing happened at RNAS Yeovilton these days and that the only movements that occur there are almost entirely rotary. I can't imagine there's a great deal to complain about there.

I think that if the recent rumours of increased use of RAF Fairford in the coming years (bomber deployments and sigint & tanker basing) come to anything, with all the new housing built around the base there could be some serious grumbling & objections.

At RAF Marham I really can't imagine anyone has grounds to complain as it hasn't been through a mothballed period and as many have pointed out, the F-35 isn't likely to produce any discernible increase in flying anyway. I expect it will lead to a spike in people stopping to view any activity during the first year.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

MiG_Eater wrote:Unless they've lived there longer than the base has existed they are utterly idiotic people.

That might be your opinion but often the Law wouldn't agree with you. If one person makes a noise complaint the local authorities are obliged to investigate and if the situation is found to be as described by the complainant then the entity causing the 'noise' is required to make changes. Plenty of pubs operating as music venues have lost their music licence when the surrounding areas became gentrified.

The best effort I ever heard about regarding noise was the former wife of a motor circuit owner who used her divorce settlement to buy a house directly outside the circuit and then filed a noise complaint which was upheld meaning he was limited in the number of 'noisy' days he could operate at his circuit!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

speedbird2639 wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:Unless they've lived there longer than the base has existed they are utterly idiotic people.

That might be your opinion but often the Law wouldn't agree with you.

Quite. To be fair, there's a lot more balance and nuance to it in practice, but every law student is taught the principle that someone "coming to the nuisance" (moving into an existing house next door to a noisy, smelly, whatever location) is not a defence that the person making the noise, smell, whatever is able to use to support themselves.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

The law may not agree with me but this is one of those things that is so self-evidently idiotic it is hard to argue against apart from just to present the facts as they stand.

I'm a musician myself and have experienced the demise of many wonderful venues because of the unpleasant, selfish people such as these.

Just to be clear - if an airbase or music venue opened in the middle of a village i'd absolutely respect the right of those complaining; just not when its the other way round.

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Just to be clear - if an airbase or music venue opened in the middle of a village i'd absolutely respect the right of those complaining; just not when its the other way round.

You’ve clearly stated your opinion on existing and new venues, but what if an existing airbase just had GA traffic and then wanted to have 737 and/or military jets based there? Would they be exempt from your noise pollution rules because they already existed. Or the 100 year old music venue that had tea dances with organ music suddenly wanting to host a Megadeath concert ? Would they be exempt from neighbours feelings ?

I doubt the odd helicopter and hawk doing overshoots would be of the same magnitude as an F35B practicing vertical landings or if they did build a new heat resistant ski jump with the same curve and angles as on the QE class , full power short takeoffs. Forget about basing F35B at Yeovilton.

See if they build a QE ski jump on any land base in the UK.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

I wonder if we will get any of them at the Queens birthday flypast on June 9th? Almost certain for RAF 100 flypast though in July I would think.

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

I would take 5th of June with a pinch of salt, F-35s making it across the Atlantic via the Northern route on the first attempt hasn't been good so far :grin:

The big question is whether the RAF will Island hop them taking 3 days to cross the Atlantic, Bermuda > Azores > Blighty or more like most other nations, doing it in one go.
Gary

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

First tanker has just departed Brize to collect them :smile: Answer my question above, won't be going via Bermuda
Gary

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

All in one go, then?

Against all of my better judgement on these plastic uncharismatic machines, I'm actually quite excited about this. :up: