June 3rd - Fly Navy III

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Flare Path

Re: June 3rd - Fly Navy III

Post by Flare Path »

Balls. Just purchased my ticket this morning. :grin:

Vampire (VPG) and P47 could be sourced, but that would still leave us a few short.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Flare Path wrote:Balls. Just purchased my ticket this morning. :grin:

Vampire (VPG) and P47 could be sourced, but that would still leave us a few short.

Neither of which would fit the naval theme.

It would be nice to see the modern FAA represented as in previous events. A Merlin and/or a Wildcat would show very well.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Flare Path wrote:Vampire (VPG) and P47 could be sourced, but that would still leave us a few short.

VPG I believe are hoping to do some air displays this year so would be very welcome. Not a direct link to the theme, but can always represent the lineage of the Sea Vampire and Sea Venom.

Considering the Skyraider is also most likely a doubt, then the P-47 would do very nicely! Although the only link to the Navy theme that I could find is that it shares its powerplant with the Corsair and Hellcat.

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

Shame to have these cancellations :( Do we know the destination of the sold Seafire? Also I can't see one displaying anywhere this year now, is it the only one flying?
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Flare Path wrote:Balls. Just purchased my ticket this morning. :grin:

Neither of which would fit the naval theme.

Indeed, neither wear naval markings. But both aircraft have connections to a 'naval theme', perhaps the P47 more loosely out the two.

Jakub.Zurek wrote:
Flare Path wrote:Vampire (VPG) and P47 could be sourced, but that would still leave us a few short.

VPG I believe are hoping to do some air displays this year so would be very welcome. Not a direct link to the theme, but can always represent the lineage of the Sea Vampire and Sea Venom.

They are booked for the Midlands Air Festival this weekend, all being well.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

DaveBr wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:It was flying again after that incident - it made a few appearances at Old Warden in 2015.

Also flew at the September Battle of Britain show at Duxford in 2015.

Thanks for the update. No idea if it is still in the UK then?

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:

Considering the Skyraider is also most likely a doubt, then the P-47 would do very nicely! Although the only link to the Navy theme that I could find is that it shares its powerplant with the Corsair and Hellcat.

Well, I'll concede the Vampire, as it did the first carrier landing by a jet. The P-47 - tenuous! :smile:

They are two displays that would enhance any airshow, it would just be nice, IMHO, to have the naval theme as an immersive one.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

pb643 wrote:
DaveBr wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:It was flying again after that incident - it made a few appearances at Old Warden in 2015.

The Seafire for sale is Air Leasing's Mk.III.

The Kennet Seafire XVII is, as I understand it, at Old Warden in pieces/under restoration in the hangars on the far side of the airfield.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

pb643

Post by pb643 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
pb643 wrote:
DaveBr wrote:

The Seafire for sale is Air Leasing's Mk.III.

The Kennet Seafire XVII is, as I understand it, at Old Warden in pieces/under restoration in the hangars on the far side of the airfield.

Thank you.

Interesting the Bearcat has gone, if it not back for Legends, it will seem very odd.

An aircraft that doesn't seem to have been to the UK in a long while, the French Sea Fury with smokewinders (Christian Jacquard?) not dreadfully authentic, but a beautiful display.

Maybe the other European Avenger based in Switzerland? Any Skyraider will do, beautiful great beast of a thing. :grin:

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

vulcanshammer wrote:Shame to have these cancellations :( Do we know the destination of the sold Seafire? Also I can't see one displaying anywhere this year now, is it the only one flying?

Hi guys sorry to repeat, just wondering if anyone could answer my questions? I'd love to see a Seafire as I haven't seen one for a very long time!

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

The Air Leasing Seafire III is for sale but afaik has not been sold yet. However, I believe it is likely to not take part in the display season because of this.

Kennet's Seafire XVII is in bits undergoing restoration.

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:The Air Leasing Seafire III is for sale but afaik has not been sold yet. However, I believe it is likely to not take part in the display season because of this.

Thanks Jakub, fingers crossed it is sold to a UK buyer who still wishes to display her! Any news on when the Kennet one is likely to be restored or perhaps they don't know themselves!

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:The Air Leasing Seafire III is for sale but afaik has not been sold yet. However, I believe it is likely to not take part in the display season because of this.

Just checked the CAA website and the Kennet Seafire is now listed as owned by a private owner at Old Warden Park. I presume this indicates a change in ownership?

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

pb643 wrote:Just checked the CAA website and the Kennet Seafire is now listed as owned by a private owner at Old Warden Park. I presume this indicates a change in ownership?

Why would you presume that? It is registered to Tim Manna, as it has been since 2001. Tim Manna is a Director of Kennet Aviation Ltd.

Kipperooni

Post by Kipperooni »

The Seafire was found to have excessive cracking on the firewall (common problem with the Griffin powered seafire). A new firewall has had to be sourced/manufactured.
KIPPER

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:The aircraft list on the event page on Facebook has been edited considerably:

Visiting Aircraft:
• Hawker Fury Mk.II
• Consolidated PBY Catalina
• Westland Wasp
• de Havilland Dragon Rapide
• Hawker Nimrod K3661
• Sea Fury T.20
• Stinson Reliant
• AT 6D Texan
• Fairey Swordfish
• Gazelle x3 (one static)
• Bristol Scout
• Grumman F4F Wildcat
• Vought F4U Corsair
• Douglas AD4 Skyraider
• Avro 504K (static)
• Morane Saulnier

Bearcat, Avenger, one of the Nimrods, Seafire all removed :(

Good news, I've just been on the Shuttleworth web site and the four aircraft that you list as removed Jacob all appear to be still there. They may have been removed for a time in error but they were certainly there five minutes ago. :smile:

Tangoringo

Post by Tangoringo »

As you say Aquarius, current list here... ( not cached but current list )

VISITING AIRCRAFT

Sea Fury FB.11
Supermarine Seafire Mk17
Consolidated PBY Catalina
Westland Wasp
de Havilland Dragon Rapide
Hawker Nimrod K3661
Hawker Nimrod Mk.I
Sea Fury T.20
Stinson Reliant
AT 6D Texan
Fairey Swordfish
Gazelle x3 (one static)
Bristol Scout
Grumman F4F Wildcat
Vought F4U Corsair
Grumman F8F Bearcat
Douglas AD4 Skyraider
Grumman Avenger
Avro 504K (static)
Morane Saulnier
COLLECTION AIRCRAFT

Hawker Sea Hurricane 1B
Avro C19 Anson
Hawker Demon
DH82a Tiger Moth
Miles Magister
DH60 Cirrus Moth
Westland Lysander
Gladiator
Sopwith Camel
Sopwith Pup
Sopwith Triplane
Bristol F2B Fighter
Gloster Gladiator
Deperdussin
Avro Triplane IV
Blackburn Monoplane Type ‘D’

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

That not list is not the latest the list, this is from facebook and edited today:
Visiting Aircraft:
• Hawker Fury Mk.II
• Consolidated PBY Catalina
• Westland Wasp
• de Havilland Dragon Rapide
• Hawker Nimrod K3661
• Sea Fury T.20
• Stinson Reliant (static)
• AT 6D Texan
• Fairey Swordfish
• Gazelle x3 (one static)
• Bristol Scout
• Grumman F4F Wildcat
• Vought F4U Corsair
• Douglas AD4 Skyraider
• Avro 504K (static)
• Morane Saulnier

Collection Aircraft:
• Hawker Sea Hurricane 1B
• Avro C19 Anson
• Hawker Demon
• DH82a Tiger Moth
• Miles Magister
• DH60 Cirrus Moth
• Westland Lysander
• Gladiator
• Sopwith Camel
• Sopwith Pup
• Sopwith Triplane
• Bristol F2B Fighter
• Gloster Gladiator
• Deperdussin
• Avro Triplane IV
• Blackburn Monoplane Type ‘D’
Shuttleworth's website have only removed the the participants so far from the display list with pictures and not the text version.
Thomas

pb643

Post by pb643 »

DaveBr wrote:
pb643 wrote:Just checked the CAA website and the Kennet Seafire is now listed as owned by a private owner at Old Warden Park. I presume this indicates a change in ownership?

Why would you presume that? It is registered to Tim Manna, as it has been since 2001. Tim Manna is a Director of Kennet Aviation Ltd.

Sorry, I simply wasn't aware of that. :sad:

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

How full does this show get?. I'm thinking about making this my next show to go to, as I would really love to get a nice topside of the Swordfish.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Mooshie1956 wrote:How full does this show get?. I'm thinking about making this my next show to go to, as I would really love to get a nice topside of the Swordfish.

The first one was very close to a sell out IIRC. Last year was probably a bit less, but the weather wasn't nearly as good - that's probably the biggest factor that will determine it this year, unless they pull something out of the bag to replace those that have dropped off the list.

Having said all that, you might want to (and perhaps probably should) ignore everything I say after I jinxed the traffic for you at the Season Premiere! :lol: :hide:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Thanks again LN, even if it is a sell out again I found plenty of room to move about, but it would be nicer if I could get a bit nearer to the dog leg this time. For getting into the show I think I'll come in from the Bedford side as directed out by my sat nav, rather than follow the route the sat nav directed me in.
It's weird how the sat nav gave me 2 different routes to get there then back home.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

PJ1

Post by PJ1 »

Noted from the current list on the Shuttleworth site that the Skyraider has now gone from the participation list. Not that much of a surprise.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

It has lost quite a lot and gained, very little. It needs a couple of items to fill in for what has dropped off the list. Personally I'd love to see the Westland Whirlwind as a replacement.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

PJ1 wrote:Noted from the current list on the Shuttleworth site that the Skyraider has now gone from the participation list. Not that much of a surprise.

Really shouldn't have been on the list in the first place, or at least have been taken off with the previous update.