RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Tmyers123

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by Tmyers123 »

harkins wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:If the cloud is too low then everything becomes the 'most likely to cancel'. :grin:

True, but I reckon a few flat displays can be managed in weather that would knock out a mass flypast. Anyway, I'm sure it'll be fine as something tells me the weather will be fine..... :tongue:

Gonna be a big day tomorrow as the expectation levels have sky rocketed in the last day or two (not for everyone of course). And I guess that from around eight weeks out things do tend to start picking up. Definitely expecting the Belgian F-16 tomorrow and the A109 as they've now finally issued their schedules.

After *that* post yesterday, I suddenly expected all of the aircraft in the USAFE inventory, and a Malaysian Flanker accompanied by an A400M. :grin: But seriously, very excited for tomorrow’s update.

Kevyboy1979

Post by Kevyboy1979 »

A400M flying display is brilliant hope we get that always amazes me the bank it can get for such a large plane........A few F-15s and 16s would be great especially if the have a special paint scheme on them....Maybe a CV-22 Osprey again brilliant flying display act but also very nice on static.....Would be great to see some Mig-29s on static and flying.....Would be nice if the Japanese sent one for flying display as they did in 2015 as that is a rare item to see in the flying display.....Cannot wait for tomorrow's update and see what else gets added to an already outstanding show....On the downside who does anyone think will be the 1st to pull out? As there is always something that does.

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

Kevyboy1979 wrote:A400M flying display is brilliant hope we get that always amazes me the bank it can get for such a large plane........A few F-15s and 16s would be great especially if the have a special paint scheme on them....Maybe a CV-22 Osprey again brilliant flying display act but also very nice on static.....Would be great to see some Mig-29s on static and flying.....Would be nice if the Japanese sent one for flying display as they did in 2015 as that is a rare item to see in the flying display.....Cannot wait for tomorrow's update and see what else gets added to an already outstanding show....On the downside who does anyone think will be the 1st to pull out? As there is always something that does.

You do know there’s a wishlist thread, right?

CJS

Post by CJS »

I don't recall ever seeing an F-15 in a special scheme, at least not in the flesh at RIAT?
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Habu

Post by Habu »

Kevyboy1979 wrote:A400M flying display is brilliant hope we get that always amazes me the bank it can get for such a large plane........A few F-15s and 16s would be great especially if the have a special paint scheme on them....Maybe a CV-22 Osprey again brilliant flying display act but also very nice on static.....Would be great to see some Mig-29s on static and flying.....Would be nice if the Japanese sent one for flying display as they did in 2015 as that is a rare item to see in the flying display.....Cannot wait for tomorrow's update and see what else gets added to an already outstanding show....On the downside who does anyone think will be the 1st to pull out? As there is always something that does.

Would be great to see the Osprey doing it's folding dance somewhere near the crowd line ; I've only seen it on youtube and don't know if it's ever done at airshows .

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Does anyone know RAF Mildenhall is still being closed down or was that scrapped? Was just wondering because that could mean that USAFE send aircraft much less in the future.

Edit: just googled it, saw that it close down in 2024 which gives us a good few years, and I also saw that two F-35A squadrons are supposed to be based at Lakenheath by 2020, which could be good for static and maybe even flying display, which would be much more convenient than them ferrying the USAFHF F-35 all the way from the US.
Last edited by Tmyers123 on Wed 16 May 2018, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duffspeed

Post by duffspeed »

You should see an A400M outside an airshow. Believe it or not, it's even better. One came over our house earlier in the week, felt like just a few hundred feet and the thing was really motoring. Reminded me of the old days (80's and 90's) in the Daventry corridor when there'd be easily more than a score of aircraft over our place daily. Wonderful stuff. :rock:

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

duffspeed wrote:

You should see an A400M outside an airshow. Believe it or not, it's even better. One came over our house earlier in the week, felt like just a few hundred feet and the thing was really motoring. Reminded me of the old days (80's and 90's) in the Daventry corridor when there'd be easily more than a score of aircraft over our place daily. Wonderful stuff. :rock:

Very jealous, living in West Yorkshire I never get to see Military aircraft flying around. :sad:

duffspeed

Post by duffspeed »

CJS wrote:I don't recall ever seeing an F-15 in a special scheme, at least not in the flesh at RIAT?

Have you seen the special RSAF F-15 paint scheme? Have Singapore declined yet? That'd be something to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw8Yw7Jfi_w

NTG1610

Post by NTG1610 »

CJS wrote:I don't recall ever seeing an F-15 in a special scheme, at least not in the flesh at RIAT?

ImageMcDonnell Douglas F-15C Eagle USAF 84-0021 by NTG1 pictures, on Flickr

Kevyboy1979

Post by Kevyboy1979 »

Does anyone think the Swedish Historic Flight might confirm for static? As we're they not at Scampton airshow last year? As they are rare aircraft you get to see.

Kevyboy1979

Post by Kevyboy1979 »

NTG1610 wrote:

ImageMcDonnell Douglas F-15C Eagle USAF 84-0021 by NTG1 pictures, on Flickr

That's awesome!!!! :yahoo:

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Kevyboy1979 wrote:Does anyone think the Swedish Historic Flight might confirm for static? As we're they not at Scampton airshow last year? As they are rare aircraft you get to see.

Unlikely.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

The Baron wrote:
Kevyboy1979 wrote:Does anyone think the Swedish Historic Flight might confirm for static? As we're they not at Scampton airshow last year? As they are rare aircraft you get to see.

Unlikely.

TomG was asked that question at the FRIAT forum. He said that there had been talks with the SwAFHF, and in principle it's possible for those aircraft to turn up for static display, like they did at Scampton.

But yeah, probably unlikely. One presumes a number of other factors to consider which might prevent its attendance (cost, for one thing?). With that splinter camo Viggen (and single seat Draken?) both recently having flown, I'd be delighted to see them there.

duffspeed

Post by duffspeed »

Not too long now. :snack:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Not getting my hopes up at all. I think Belgians and a couple statics from the Netherlands. Cue Brevet with an almighty 'MEH'.

FlashGordon

Post by FlashGordon »

I have a feeling it will be the Belgians formally confirmed by DBH, and maybe some USAFE stuff on static.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Why don't people just keep their hopes neutral and judge whatever update there is once it's online?

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

Tommy wrote:Why don't people just keep their hopes neutral and judge whatever update there is once it's online?

Yeah! Keep your speculative excitement and enthusiasm to yourselves!

Wait, isn't that what this thread (and entire site) is for? :tongue2:
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

Just to even the playing field, I predict the first cancellations

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Royal Jordanian falcons and Great War display team doing a combined 1 hour showpiece.....

:lol:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

KC-390 perhaps.

duffspeed

Post by duffspeed »

A race from one end of the runway to the other between two AN-2s?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Mongolian Air Force making their debut with an An26 on static, Cypriot Mi24 on static also a national debut and Singapore A330 with two M346s on static, and a giant Meh from Brevet for lack of effort getting them into the flying display.

This will be countered by his elation of the combined Greek and Turkish F-4E fourship celebrating the 60th anniversary of the type's first flight culminating in an actual missing man formation.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

Due to the future predicted weather forecast, the Royal International Air Tattoo 2018 has been cancelled.

- DBH