CWJ Bruntingthorpe, 27th May

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
Seahornet

CWJ Bruntingthorpe, 27th May

Post by Seahornet »

I haven't seen anything concrete from the organisers about this event for 2018, but the group who look after the Victor are suggesting that the reciprocal runway will be in use this year:
http://www.victorxm715.co.uk/2018/03/
Work is well in hand preparing Tina for the Open Day on 27th March (sic). Roy and Bill are washing down after the hard winter and the engineering team are well into the maintenance schedule. The event will be centred on the south western end of the runway due to the car storage so the backdrop will be different for photographs. Gates open at 9am and we will be with the aircraft to meet you before the fast runs start at 11am. Our Victor memorabilia will be on sale from our tent in the concessionary area. Hope to see you there.

Will this mean that we will be marshalled down to car parking at the western end of the airfield on arrival, with no access to the 'Museum' area? :question:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

st24

Re: CWJ Bruntingthorpe, 27th May

Post by st24 »

Well if that means the trees as a backdrop then hell yeah!
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

I've seen some posters on the Brunty Facebook page, confirming the date.

I assume the crowdline will be south of the runway like usual, not north of the runway like for last year's Lightning twilight run?

FTS

Post by FTS »

I saw a Facebook post from the Guppy group stated that the event will be down the southern end and people wouldn't be able to access the aircraft in the museum area, meaning they will run out of money, and they we're trying to find a work around.
facebook.com/shgpmedia
instagram.com/shgphotography86/
Youtube - SHGP Media

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Just saw some shots from the Buccaneers event a couple of weeks ago. The crowd was positioned on the northern edge of the runway just like for the Lightning event. I hope, for the sake of photography, that for the CWJ the crowdline will be on the southern edge.

rob68

Post by rob68 »

For the Buccaneer event we were positioned between the ATC and the 747s etc.We were then got on a bus and taken down the perimeter track towards Gilmorton and around the end of the runway and deposited near the 737 in the trees. The Bucaneers then followed us on the perimeter track to the runway .

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

I think that would rely on the masses of vehicles being moved by then. I was informed at the lightning run last year that there wouldn't be as many cars there "this time next year".
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:Just saw some shots from the Buccaneers event a couple of weeks ago. The crowd was positioned on the northern edge of the runway just like for the Lightning event. I hope, for the sake of photography, that for the CWJ the crowdline will be on the southern edge.

I recall attending a minor event at the Northern end in 2002, think it was a tribute to Roland Beamont. Comprising of just the two Lightnings and the Canberra, and that was staged on the southern side of the runway :smile:

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

The few events ive done at the Gilmorton end have been the best in regards the Taxi runs.

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

Does anyone know if the Comet and Nimrod are going to fast taxi?

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

MicrolightDriver wrote:Does anyone know if the Comet and Nimrod are going to fast taxi?

Believe the plan is that the Comet will, not sure about the Nimrod
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

techniquest

Post by techniquest »

It'd be really helpful to get some kind of definitive update from the CWJ team, or someone in-the-know. Their website doesn't look to have been updated and still says: "PLEASE NOTE THAT WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU CHECK THIS WEBSITE FOR UPDATES CLOSER TO THE DATE". (their caps and italics), and it doesn't come much closer than the day before the event.
If anyone has any reliable info regarding serviceability of aircraft and what's scheduled to taxi; whether the museum area will be accessible, where the vehicle entance/exit will be it'd be much appreciated before setting out on a very long journey tomorrow. Many thanks.

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

techniquest wrote:It'd be really helpful to get some kind of definitive update from the CWJ team, or someone in-the-know. Their website doesn't look to have been updated and still says: "PLEASE NOTE THAT WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU CHECK THIS WEBSITE FOR UPDATES CLOSER TO THE DATE". (their caps and italics), and it doesn't come much closer than the day before the event.
If anyone has any reliable info regarding serviceability of aircraft and what's scheduled to taxi; whether the museum area will be accessible, where the vehicle entance/exit will be it'd be much appreciated before setting out on a very long journey tomorrow. Many thanks.

I'd be interested in the parking too. Usually hardstanding available somewhere for cars that don't have a lot of ground clearance - not sure about Sunday's arrangements if everything's happening at the other end of the field?

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Will the event even go ahead with thunderstorms forecast for much of the day? I was thinking of going myself to be honest.

Andover

Post by Andover »

TYPHOON3 wrote:Will the event even go ahead with thunderstorms forecast for much of the day? I was thinking of going myself to be honest.

Well, a Lightning "thundering" along, accompanied by (real) thunder and...(you've guessed it) would be well worth going to see! :rock:

I should think it will still go ahead.

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burleysway

Post by Burleysway »

Right I’ve just got back from Bruntingthorpe. Here’s the running order
(Subject to serviceability & availablity)

VC10 11.00am
Iskra/L29 Delphin
2 X buccaneers
Hunter GA11
Canberra
2 x JPs
2 X Buccaneers
Hunter T7
Comet/Iskra/L29 Delphin
Lightning
Victor.

The Super Guppy has been moved down and will be open for inspection.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F-BSHM

Post by F-BSHM »

Hi guys and hello from France !

We are waiting for you pictures of this event as we would like to get there next year. The last chance to listen to such beautiful sounds and to admire them alive !
Is the line up the same every year or are the aircraft displayed different from a year to an other ?
Thank you,

Anthony

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

F-BSHM wrote:Hi guys and hello from France !

We are waiting for you pictures of this event as we would like to get there next year. The last chance to listen to such beautiful sounds and to admire them alive !
Is the line up the same every year or are the aircraft displayed different from a year to an other ?
Thank you,

Anthony

The lineup rarely changes - any variation will likely be down to serviceability on the day. The collection is fairly permanent, it's unlikely that there will be any new runners, though the Sea Vixen may be fast-taxi ready and there may be some new static items
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

F-BSHM

Post by F-BSHM »

Thanks you for your answer Pringles !

Burleysway

Post by Burleysway »

I’m a volunteer at Bruntingthorpe.

For the August open day I’ll make sure there is some up to date info posted here well in advance.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Burleysway wrote:I’m a volunteer at Bruntingthorpe.

For the August open day I’ll make sure there is some up to date info posted here well in advance.

I couldn't make the last event and I just wondered what the latest info on the Tornado was? Last time I spoke to them they were trying to source some engines for it.

F-BSHM

Post by F-BSHM »

Burleysway wrote:I’m a volunteer at Bruntingthorpe.

Thank you very much :)