F1 2018

Re: F1 2018

Postby verreli on Mon 14 May 2018, 10:22 am

Spanish GP was a bit of a bore-fest.

Only comment is that Grosjean putting a smoke screen across the track livened things up briefly.
verreli

Postby Reds Rolling on Wed 16 May 2018, 6:04 pm

Baku was pretty epic and had a lot of excitement. Really liking that circuit now.

Spain not so much, but nice to see Mad Max finish a race and get a podium place. :win:
Reds Rolling

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 16 May 2018, 6:10 pm

Massa's off to Formula-e from next season, then.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Reds Rolling on Wed 16 May 2018, 6:21 pm

He's so small I heard he's holding out for a deal to drive Scalextric next year.
Reds Rolling

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 16 May 2018, 6:42 pm

He did that up until last year, didn't he?
:lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Wed 16 May 2018, 6:54 pm

What do we think of Formula E folks?

Just one car next season - no switcheroos!

Looks like Birmingham are trying to get in on the act too. Remember the Superprix way back when :grin:
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 19 May 2018, 5:04 pm

Channel 5's just had coverage of the Berlin Formula E race.
First one I managed to watch this year & I see they've done away with the minimum time requirement during the car change, which made it a lot more interesting.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Sun 20 May 2018, 10:51 pm

The Berlin race was probably the least entertaining eprix so far this season IMO.
borismorris

Postby borismorris on Fri 25 May 2018, 8:28 pm

borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 27 May 2018, 2:56 pm

Monaco F1 GP.......
Meh !! :tumbleweed:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Sun 27 May 2018, 3:08 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Monaco F1 GP.......
Meh !! :tumbleweed:

Switched it off after about 5 laps.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby Ian G on Sun 27 May 2018, 8:04 pm

I actually sat down....well ok, lay on the sofa complete with dog (who is scared of thunder) and watched the start. Needless to say, I fell asleep and woke up around lap 70. First race I've seen in a few years. Wish I'd gone and planted my begonias instead.
Ian Garfield Photography Website!

Flickr Photostream

I should probably be working. Will work for doughnuts.
Ian G
UKAR Staff

Postby borismorris on Sun 27 May 2018, 9:38 pm

Both of the gp2.. sorry f2 races were a really good watch. Shame the F1 was so dreary. I think Alonsos gearbox packed up out of sheer boredom.

Anyway...bring on Canada!
borismorris

Postby tankbuster on Sun 27 May 2018, 9:45 pm

Ian G wrote:I actually sat down....well ok, lay on the sofa complete with dog (who is scared of thunder) and watched the start. Needless to say, I fell asleep and woke up around lap 70. First race I've seen in a few years. Wish I'd gone and planted my begonias instead.

I wish I'd been planting your begonias, it was so dull :smile:
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics
tankbuster

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 27 May 2018, 11:59 pm

Ooops....
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44274950
Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso criticised the Monaco Grand Prix - saying it was "not really racing" and "the most boring race ever".

Drivers were lapping several seconds off the pace as they managed tyres to ensure they were able to do only one pit stop.

Hamilton said: "We were just cruising around from lap six, literally cruising. So it wasn't really racing.
"If that was exciting for you to watch, no problem."

Alonso, giving his reaction to the race, said: "Extremely boring. This is probably the most boring race ever."

Hamilton, who said the race was "the longest 78 laps ever", added in his BBC Sport interview: "It was a super-unexciting race for everyone."

A fan who was listening in shouted: "Most boring race ever."

Hamilton responded: "Thank God you said it. I thought I was the only one. Wow, it was intensely boring. Oh my God, yes.
"We are driving at high speed, there is not a lot of action, you're just trying to bring it home, for 56 laps. Oh my God, it was long.
"Forty laps to go, I was like, Oh God, please. When it finished, I was like, 'thank goodness'."

:clap:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby MiG_Eater on Tue 29 May 2018, 10:37 am

Once again, Hamilton talks sense. Why he is so disliked by many I will never understand.
MiG_Eater

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 29 May 2018, 10:43 am

What he seems to have forgotten, though, is that it was only a few days earlier that he was bemoaning the fact that the Monaco race is 'too short' & he was calling for the number of laps to be increased.
Still, opinions change when you don't win. :lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Tue 29 May 2018, 11:58 am

MiG_Eater wrote:Once again, Hamilton talks sense. Why he is so disliked by many I will never understand.

He is disliked because he's such a Richard head.
When he first came into F1 I was right behind him.. but it didn't take long for the real personality to peek through..

Then there's the American accent.. :loser:

There was the "maybe its coz I'm black" comment which was intended to be an Ali G reference but just made him look ridiculous.

And no.. as good as he is he's not the best driver on the grid nor is he even fit to stand in Sennas shadow.

Just my opinion of course..
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 29 May 2018, 12:58 pm

borismorris wrote:And no.. as good as he is he's not the best driver on the grid
Just my opinion of course..

Nope....Jolyon Palmer & Karun Chandhok have said the same thing on a number of occasions, as have several other former drivers ( no doubt the Hamilton supporters will claim it's just jealousy )
About the only driver who made the race interesting was Verstappen....funnily enough, he didn't have problems catching & overtaking people.

As for the coverage of the race weekend, the best bit on Ch.4 was when Carlos Sainz Senior & Junior took Coulthard & Webber rallying. :biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Domvickery on Tue 29 May 2018, 3:55 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Jolyon Palmer & Karun Chandhok

Wow, desperate times call for desperate measures hey?

I know you’ll jump on everything to have a bash but surely thats a new low

As for the Ali G quote, it was in 2011, get over it
Inventor of the baguette scale
Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 29 May 2018, 4:22 pm

Proving my point, I see. :clap:
Are you saying that JP & KC haven't said that they don't think he's the best driver on the grid?
If so, you presumably didn't listen to Radio 5's F1 show on Thursday or Ch.4's coverage of the practice sessions.
And with reference to the R5 show, Hamilton's sycophant-in-chief Andrew Benson failed to challenge JP's statement despite being in the studio with him ( and I know you won't put any credence on their opinions, but both Jenny Gow & Jack Nicholls agreed with JP's opinion )

Oh, and if you bother reading back you'll find that the reference to the 'Ali-G' comment wasn't made by me.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Domvickery on Tue 29 May 2018, 4:36 pm

If the opinions you hold in such high regard come from two drivers who spectacularly failed in their ‘careers’ and are probably only piping up to stop them from being forgotten about and were simply put in the cars to make the numbers & top up the teams budget, then thats a pretty desperate tactic.

I’d prefer my opinion to come from the stats & those that actually matter or have mattered in F1

I’m aware you didnt say about his quote, I just didnt directly quote it
Inventor of the baguette scale
Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Postby ianf on Tue 29 May 2018, 4:54 pm

When asked recently who was the best Lewis or Vettel. Alonso, said without hesitation Lewis, Nico Roseberg, Mika Hakanain, Nikki lauda Have all said Lewis is one of the best ever. there are others. Now what do they have in common? Oh yes all world champions! JP and KC they've won what??? Brevet and Borris you dislike Lewis we get that. your entitled to. But when this thread is turned into a anti Lewis at ever turn it has become boring. and anyone who supports him are labelled bias and unable to see better is insulting. I've watched all the races and most practices etc. I watch F1 for over 40 years and F1 champions are all prima donas and behave odd,that doesn't make them bad. The way you spin news to read bad for Lewis, brevet have you thought of a job in Trump's fake news department?

This year F1 have bigger issues to sort. there has been some progress it does look a three team contest. But the simple fact no cars can follow close on certain tracks make them none events. I am on record have saying ditch monaco (wont happen) The cars today have out grown and out powered that track. nose wings need urgent alteration which hopefully will happen next year. Oh and Verstappen didn't do so well as Ocon he made the most progress in the race. Verstappen isn't learning and is in danger of going backwards. Hopefully the latest chat christen was going to give him will see him improve. It has been a more watchable season so far, but tracks with the aero problems this season will be snore fests. As a school report would say must do more.

Ok Rant over can we get back to talking F1 again please?
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks
ianf

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 29 May 2018, 5:34 pm

40 years....is that all?
Less than me, then.
I've met a number of the top drivers when they were at the high-point of their careers, some were decent, others ( like Hunt ) were utter throbbers.
Did that detract from my opinion of their driving ability? No.
Do I rate Hamilton as a driver? Yes.
And if he did a Schumacher & went to a failed team & turned it into a Championship-winning one, or did an Alonso & dragged a dog of a car into higher finishing positions than it deserved then I'd have a higher opinion of his ability.
Do I rate him as a person? No. .... if nothing else because he's been too toxic towards the teams he's driven for & the drivers who've been his team-mates.

Alonso? Oh, yes, the driver who - when asked who the best was - asked if he was allowed to say "Me". :biggrin:
Lauda, Rosberg & Hakkinen....remind me again which team they're associated with....

F1?
Canada next, so from previous years Mercedes should win.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby ianf on Tue 29 May 2018, 5:56 pm

Actually 40 plus.
So you remember when Lewis signed for that also ran team called Mercedes who at that time was doing nothing? everyone said he was making a massive mistake? well he played his part in making it the team it is today. So that one box ticked for you. Personalities in this day and age it is difficult to judge what is for show and what is for real. I didn't like Schumacher I thought he didn't know when it was right and wrong sometimes but I would be stupid to denies the facts his record stand for all and so does lewis. as I said you are entitled to your opinion and so am I. I just want to watch this thread without this stuff appearing every week. As I said F1 has bigger fish to fry.

Canada well should be more in favour of Mercedes yes, but it is alleged the long awaited power increase to the Renault is supposed to appear at Canada and the red bull is the better chassis in my opinion. so we will see.
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks
ianf

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic