Rafale solo display mach loop monday june 10th

Aviation sightings, roadrunners, exercises and flypasts
Tatan63

Rafale solo display mach loop monday june 10th

Post by Tatan63 »

Tomorrow the Rafale Solo display will come to the mach loop !!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RafaleS ... 903404860/

Pen Pusher

Re: Rafale solo display mach loop monday june 10th

Post by Pen Pusher »

Today is June 10th.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

Best pitch your tent up there yesterday then.....

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Crews are basically using the place as a photo op now.

I thought, to me at any rate, the point and the thrill of the Mach Loop was not knowing what, if anything, would turn up until it came whistling around the corner. The thrill of chance.

I'm staying with the 'rents today, and only live 35 minutes away and could've gone, but this sort of stuff leaves me cold. The place is going to be utterly heaving, and some daft and dangerous parking going on. Families will be taking prams and picnic hampers up there for an "airshow" on the rocky, dangerous and unguarded hillside.

Been saying it for a while, but one of these days, some daft twit will cause a serious issue, either to road users or the aircraft flying, and the place shan't be the same. :sad:

I love the Loop, and I love seeing new people experiencing it. It's awesome when first timers are about and you can chat to them. I think everyone in this hobby should experience the place. But the Facebookisation of the Loop has been ridiculous in recent years (though for some reason it seems mostly confined to Cad East and West, which are, photographically, the least inspiring places on a sunny day :dunno:)

But anyway, I'm a sour old fart. Cheers for the head's up, I hope it gave a few people the necessary info. I hope that those that do go are successful and have a great day.

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Their low level entry was refused from the messages I've had :grin: was rammed on the hills though
Gary

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Appears the Belgian demo jet was also refused :ghost:
Gary

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Seems Swanick Mil told them they had to file a flight plan 30 days in advance, which the French, Polish and Belgians didn’t.

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

It's Brexit I tell ye...
:lmao:
Canon systems

st24

Post by st24 »

Red Dragon wrote:Seems Swanick Mil told them they had to file a flight plan 30 days in advance, which the French, Polish and Belgians didn’t.

Its certainly what I heard too but why would they need to file a plan for VFR low level?? Surely as long as theres not a certain level of a/c in the LFA every man/homme and his dog/chien can have a bash??..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

woody

Post by woody »

Many moons ago whilst working as a ATC Assistant at Spadeadam, there were strict rules on which nations could and couldn't low fly within the UK. Some nations had carte blanche to fly, others would have to apply to the Tactical booking Centre at RAF West Drayton giving sufficient notice. The mists of time may have clouded my grey matter but seem to remember this was the case. This was the late 80s early 90s when the low flying system was much busier, but maybe some of those rules remain in force. I stand to be corrected by anyone with more up to date knowledge of the low flying system.

Regards
Steve

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

st24 wrote:
Red Dragon wrote:Seems Swanick Mil told them they had to file a flight plan 30 days in advance, which the French, Polish and Belgians didn’t.

Its certainly what I heard too but why would they need to file a plan for VFR low level?? Surely as long as theres not a certain level of a/c in the LFA every man/homme and his dog/chien can have a bash??..

I do ask myself if the RAF/ ATC tried to divert the three of them as they had advertised publicly as going through at 0745 - 0800, I think Swanick blocked it to divert the usual noise complaints at that time of morning and to keep the local MP sweet? Maybe I'm being a little too cynical?!

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Just enough time to get them in for RIAT departures then? :grin:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Pringles wrote:

Just enough time to get them in for RIAT departures then? :grin:

That is the rumour! :lol:

G67

Post by G67 »

138EAW wrote:was rammed on the hills though

On a tangent, I was a bit alarmed by that until I discovered it's a regional variation of 'crammed'

Had visions of something ramming into the crowds :o

And to forestall the 'language evolves!' arguments; when a word mutates and it becomes difficult to distinguish its meaning, that's not evolution; that's regression.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

:roll:

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Seems to be a fairly widely used meaning of the word and good enough for the Cambridge Dictionary.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

G67 wrote:
138EAW wrote:was rammed on the hills though

On a tangent, I was a bit alarmed by that until I discovered it's a regional variation of 'crammed'

Had visions of something ramming into the crowds :o

And to forestall the 'language evolves!' arguments; when a word mutates and it becomes difficult to distinguish its meaning, that's not evolution; that's regression.

Are you sure on that. As rammed is shortened for Rammed packed, meaning that everything was forced in to fit.
just one example from google:

ram
ram/Submit
verb
past tense: rammed; past participle: rammed
roughly force (something) into place.
"he rammed his stick into the ground"
synonyms: force, thrust, plunge, stab, push, sink, dig, stick, cram, jam, stuff, pack, compress, squeeze, wedge, press, tamp, pound, drive, hammer, bang
"he rammed his sword back into its sheath"
BRITISHinformal
(of a place) be very crowded.
"the club is rammed to the rafters every week"
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

stickshaker

Post by stickshaker »

There's a bit of confusion over terminology here - it isn't a 'flight plan' issue but a permission one. Woody has it about right in that only UK mil, and UK-based foreign mil, have standing approval to use the UKLFS. For other mil it is on a reciprocal basis, or within a standing agreement or on approved joint exercises. Outside that, they need to apply at least 30 days in advance and have a justifiable need. This is partly to prevent other nations who might have limited or no low flying of their own bringing it all over here.

Advertising their intention to provide 'an exhibition' opens up a separate can of worms.

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

Tommy wrote:Crews are basically using the place as a photo op now.

Totally agree.

Anyway, hope you all enjoyed the day out.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Tommy wrote:Been saying it for a while, but one of these days, some daft twit will cause a serious issue, either to road users or the aircraft flying, and the place shan't be the same. :sad:

Didn't an RAF Hawk, flying for photographers the pilot had tipped off, nearly come a cropper there a few years back? Heard very strong rumours to that effect, and that the incident had been hushed-up and the pilot somewhat rail-roaded out of the RAF...

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I've heard similar (I think from you at one point, Dan) rumours to that. IDK. I've never seen/heard anything that was convincing one way or t'other. Only Hawk "incident" I can recall was the display pilot stepping down halfway through the 2010(?) season, but I don't think that had anything to do with the Loop. Something to do with G-limits or something.

I've always said (and many others these days) that the Loop is like fishing. Hours of boredom that melt away as soon as there's some action. Before the settle back into mind-numbing "Is that... no. It's a National Express to Aberystwyth." "Ohh look out, it's a..... crow." "Everyone, it's a...nother crow."

Also much like fishing, every time I go up there there's a bloke telling me about one of his previous catches and the aviation equivalent of how I "should've seen it, it must've been *this* big"!

I've been told stories of Typhoons rolling, Chinooks landing on one of the shelves, and Tornados popping flares, the list goes on. All very clearly utter crap. Same kind of people who will, uninvited, show you through their entire several-hundred image Flickr library (which I'm ok with), and yet they always seem to come short of having photos of such occasions. So I tend to take the heftiest of hefty pinches of salt with "you should've seen it!" stuff like that. The flying is very safe, well-executed, and always professional. The pilots know the place is usually full of 'togs. Even if they could/wanted to do something a bit naughty, that's surely the worst place in the UK to do it. The only real incident I can think of was the much publicised "I'm With Stupid" moment. That wasn't dangerous, the RAF just had kittens about the thought that their corporate PR image might be tarnished with a bit of personality. God forbid.

Aaaanyway, like I said, I'm a sour fart. The loop is a really great place, and full of a majority of really excellent, knowledgeable, helpful, interesting, and likeable people. I wouldn't routinely put myself through the absolute ball-achery of wasted hours sat in terrible weather if it wasn't.

I just worry about the idiotic dangerous-parking, bus-full-of-German-tourists, "when-does-the-airshow-start", drone-flying, flip-flops-and-t-shirts-in-February-wearing 1%.