RIAT 2018 Memory Card Query

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Tmyers123

RIAT 2018 Memory Card Query

Post by Tmyers123 »

Can anyone tell me how much space I would need on a memory card for one day at RIAT? With it being my first time with a camera, I haven’t a clue how much I would need. This is with me probably taking no more than 3 or 4 shots of each static (military, won’t be bothering with the civilians) and not being extremely trigger happy, but taking pictures of the whole flying display.

Thanks.

cg_341

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by cg_341 »

Are you using a potato or a Red Raven? JPEG or RAW? etc

I'd look for something in the 32GB range, just to be sure.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

cg_341 wrote:Are you using a potato or a Red Raven? JPEG or RAW? etc

Oh, 32GB is exact one I’ve got so should I be alright?

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

I don't see why not. I don't really photograph the flying, and I barely take more than one of two photos of the static and I can get it in 8GB quite easily.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

cg_341 wrote:Are you using a potato or a Red Raven?

Eh? :dizzy:

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

cg_341 wrote:I don't see why not. I don't really photograph the flying, and I barely take more than one of two photos of the static and I can get it in 8GB quite easily.

Okay, thanks. :up:

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Tmyers123 wrote:

That’s really a vague response to a vague question. I go to a show with 3 128gb cards, and generally fill at least one per show day. I have three in order to anticipate failures, but could definitely get by with two. It’s better to have too much memory available than to have too little.

Last year I had the D810 and D500 and made it through each day not exceeding 256gb total.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Go4Long wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:

That’s really a vague response to a vague question. I go to a show with 3 128gb cards, and generally fill at least one per show day. I have three in order to anticipate failures, but could definitely get by with two. It’s better to have too much memory available than to have too little.

Last year I had the D810 and D500 and made it through each day not exceeding 256gb total.

Do you shoot in JPEG or RAW, though?

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Go4Long wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:

Like I said, it’s my first year so I can’t go into detail about things I don’t know much about, hence me asking people about it. :dizzy:

trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Post by trebleone »

Tmyers123 wrote:Like I said, it’s my first year so I can’t go into detail about things I don’t know much about, hence me asking people about it. :dizzy:

You must surely know what make and model of camera you'll be using, however? Different cameras have different pixel counts; hence file sizes will be different and the number of shots that will fit on a given card size will vary.
Likewise with RAW vs jpeg - a RAW file may be 3, 4 or 5 times the size of a jpeg from the same camera; so you could fit that many times more jpegs as RAW on the same size card.

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Tmyers123 wrote:
Go4Long wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:

Like I said, it’s my first year so I can’t go into detail about things I don’t know much about, hence me asking people about it. :dizzy:

If you have a 32Gb card and a spare (say 8 or 16Gb) for static you'll be fine. All I would recommend is (if your doing multiple days) to download your cards every night and re-format the cards as you might get better weather/ photo conditions the next day.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Big Eric wrote:

Well a potato (a colloquial term for something of terrible quality) camera would allow you to take many thousands of photos on a small capacity card.

A Red Raven is an 8K camera, so 500-700MB per image/frame?

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

cg_341 wrote:
Big Eric wrote:

Well a potato (a colloquial term for something of terrible quality) camera would allow you to take many thousands of photos on a small capacity card.

Why didn't you say that in the first place? :wall:

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

Big Eric wrote:
cg_341 wrote:
Big Eric wrote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Red+Raven

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Last edited by Big Eric on Tue 12 Jun 2018, 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

There's a section of the forum for this sort of discussion :
http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=27
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Kevyboy1979

Post by Kevyboy1979 »

Big Eric wrote:
mark_aviation wrote:
Big Eric wrote:
cg_341 wrote:
Big Eric wrote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Red+Raven

mark_aviation, don't be an ar5e for all of your life - do have the occasional day off. :snack:

Ha ha that says a lot coming from you.

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

Tmyers123 wrote:Can anyone tell me how much space I would need on a memory card for one day at RIAT? With it being my first time with a camera, I haven’t a clue how much I would need. This is with me probably taking no more than 3 or 4 shots of each static (military, won’t be bothering with the civilians) and not being extremely trigger happy, but taking pictures of the whole flying display.

Thanks.

Take more memory than you think you'll need, even if you just borrow some from a friend etc.

Personally speaking I'd rather come back with empty cards having not used them all rather than run out of room having not taken enough.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

jason82wells wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:Can anyone tell me how much space I would need on a memory card for one day at RIAT? With it being my first time with a camera, I haven’t a clue how much I would need. This is with me probably taking no more than 3 or 4 shots of each static (military, won’t be bothering with the civilians) and not being extremely trigger happy, but taking pictures of the whole flying display.

Thanks.

Take more memory than you think you'll need, even if you just borrow some from a friend etc.

Personally speaking I'd rather come back with empty cards having not used them all rather than run out of room having not taken enough.

Well I’ve got a 32GB and 2 4GBs so hoping that’s fine for one day with a Canon 7D.

Woodster

Post by Woodster »

Tmyers123 wrote:
jason82wells wrote:

Thanks.

Well I’ve got a 32GB and 2 4GBs so hoping that’s fine for one day with a Canon 7D.

Hey Tmyers123, I have a Canon and if I shoot in JPEG on a 32GB card I can get roughly 3,500 images on that card. Compare this to RAW and I'll get around 850 images.
Depending on your camera you can set up in different imaging selections. Remember RAW files are bigger and can use up a lot of drive space if you don't post process them.

Depends on how good you want your images too. I would give it a go using both types as you may just be happy with the JPEG quality. I switched last year to RAW after talking to a few guys at RIAT and I'd never go back but it's your preference.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Woodster wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:
jason82wells wrote:

Thanks.

Hey Tmyers123, I have a Canon and if I shoot in JPEG on a 32GB card I can get roughly 3,500 images on that card. Compare this to RAW and I'll get around 850 images.
Depending on your camera you can set up in different imaging selections. Remember RAW files are bigger and can use up a lot of drive space if you don't post process them.

Depends on how good you want your images too. I would give it a go using both types as you may just be happy with the JPEG quality. I switched last year to RAW after talking to a few guys at RIAT and I'd never go back but it's your preference.

Okay, thanks a lot :smile:

CJS

Post by CJS »

700mb for one image?? :-o Really necessary?
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

Brevet Cable wrote:There's a section of the forum for this sort of discussion :
http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=27

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the RIAT 2018 discussion forum. This was a question about RIAT 2018 and is a darn sight more relevant than 90% of the last 100 or so pages of complete drivel! I have sent a pm with my answer, not because it's not relevant to post on here but because it's a question that needs a long and fairly exhaustive answer. I just think a little more tolerance and understanding from some on here would go a long way. Have a good one!
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

As far as i'm aware, asking which SD card you need has nothing to do with RIAT. I'm going RIAT what sunglasses should i wear?

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

Airshowhammer wrote:As far as i'm aware, asking which SD card you need has nothing to do with RIAT. I'm going RIAT what sunglasses should i wear?

That depends on the weather - which day(s) are you going? :lol: